Awesome 2014!

1Maryann

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, on to Day Three! I (still) have a killer of a headache. Worse today than last night. Ugh. I hope that it is the caffeine withdrawal and I really hope that today is the last day. It's so hard to function like this...

Dinner last night was hamburger on romaine "buns," with tomato, pickle, avocado, and black olives on the side. Pretty yummy given that I love the bread and ketchup that typically surrounds my burger. This morning's breakfast was scrambled eggs with spinach, sweet potato, and peppers topped with avocado slices. If this headache was disappear I'd be feeling pretty good.

That's about it. The weekend is always a challenge, but we're going to try two recipes from the new Well Fed 2. And, Sunday will be partly about planning lunches. Lunches are tough if I wait and do them on the fly. Doesn't work at all for the W30! What's your favorite packable lunch that doesn't require heating?

Cheerio!

Wow, Prax, your story is amazing and inspiring!  From 40 rounds of antibiotics to one... what a great testamonial.

I am happy with my better health too.  Did the w100 last year and within a month my asthma almost disappeared.  I now only take 1/4 the dose of medication I used to take and have not needed the "rescue" inhaler in a long time.  Another health benefit of the diet is that my afib went away too.  I was quite non-compliant with the diet in December and the afib came back.  So, thank goodness I am now doing what my body needs me to do.

Msehphddjd, (can you post a real name or even a fake name as those letters are tough for this old brain to remember), my favorite packable lunch is hard boiled eggs diced up over shredded carrots, toasted almond slivers, diced apple and crumbled bacon.  Add olive oil and vinegar.  Another thought is to cook more than you can eat the night before and just save the leftovers for your lunch.  I'm not very creative am I, LOL?

Tracy

Hi all! Hope everyone up north is staying warm and safe-that blizzard sounds horrible!

Plugging along today-back to work this week with 2 very long and stressfull days-coming home to a new puppy that I want to play with and make up time with. That is backfiring as I am losing patience after work. The days I am off are just fine as I can anticipate potty breaks etc a bit better. I am hoping, as the days progress, that my stable mood returns(I had a week+ binge over the holidays and I am back on track x 4 days now)

As far as cost of this program goes-yes, it can get expensive. I hit the warehouse stores and buy chicken breasts and thighs in bulk-no they are not organic. I do the best I can. I also buy veggies in bulk. We tend to hit this at least once a week. Huge things of ground turkey as well-I can't stomach red meat(if the animal can kiss me, I won't eat it:) Hubby loves a steak so he gets that periodically.

Breakfast ideas-I eat mine on the road when I go to work-3 eggs scrambled mixed with spinach/squash and off I go. When I am home, 3 eggs again with stirfried mushrooms and broccoli slaw. Nothing extravagant!

This is day 2 of no gum....good grief, what a habit that is! I have chewed my cheeks almost raw!  I will keep plugging away!

good morning (or afternoon?) to everyone! I was planning on going to WF today and starting tomorrow with great breakfast and all that...but I don't think I can wait. I feel SO HORRIBLE. I'm bloated and exhausted, foggy headed and headachy. I am sleeping horribly. so, I don't really have anything in my house (I have some soup that's frozen) so I am having some coffee and going as soon as my husband gets home with our car (he works night shift and we only have one car that we can take the kids in, the other one is a '97 toyota 4-runner that's pretty nasty. I use it to get to & from work). plus I am jealous of how great all of you are starting to feel.

I had a bit of an epiphany yesterday about my food...I always am trying to find new good meat recipes, but I think I need to focus more on my veggies. I'm not going to worry so much about making fancy meat and just do easy roasted chicken or burger patties and try to find some great veggie recipes. and for sure the collard wraps.

I'm off to make a shopping list.

Day 3 here and I'm afraid I'm not really eating enough.  Not eating much of anything, really.  Between a head cold and my partner and I parting ways, I'm a real train wreck.  It was a brief but very intense and incredibly loving relationship, and we ended it because of a lingering question that was there from the start that we couldn't quite put our heads around until yesterday.  So we pulled the plug.  He spent one last night with me before leaving.  We tried to go out to eat last night after we talked but I had no appetite, and we both slept awful last night.  I called in sick to work today (head cold and crying eyes) and have yet to have anything to eat since lunch yesterday with the exception of 1 banana.  With breakups, I typically tend to go to one extreme or the other - eating everything in sight, or eating nothing at all.  I think I know which way this one's going.  I'd love some booze right now, though I won't let myself fall down that trap.  

I've learned so much in the past year about who I am, what I want, and how to take control of my life.  Diet has been a huge part of this.  He came into my life at the perfect time.  But, he's leaving me feeling really sad yet really grateful that I had experienced everything I had with him.  I'm hopeful that the work I continue to do this year will pay off even more in the future.

On a side note, I bought a pressure cooker.  I figured it'd help to make the slow cooker meals that I don't have the patience for or always time wrong (like waking up at 2 am to check on it).  Any good recipes to share?

Hi all,

I am on day 3 of my second Whole30. I finished the first one in November and felt great but didn't have the results I was hoping for. I am thinking maybe I need to go longer to hopefully reap more benefits. I wasn't hungry in between meals so the no snacking for me was huge. I actually gained weight, which was discouraging since I have about 25 lbs. to lose. I am trying to not focus on the number but my clothes didn't really change and my measurements stayed the same. I think I ate too many nuts the first time around so I am going to cut those out.

I have had a headache for the past 2 days and I am guessing that is because of all the sugar cookies I ate during Christmas! I teach spin 4 days a week and I am starting to do Crossfit twice a week so I don't usually have issues with exercise.

Do you all think a longer time will help my body to adjust and hopefully burn fat for fuel?

Good luck everyone and I am excited to have the support on here!

Thanks,

Paula

Morning All!

Day 5 for me.  I will be very happy to get this first week over with BUT I am already feeling clearer.  I'm also sleeping a little sounder too.

I'm still horribly swollen which is frustrating.  This is why I'm glad I'm doing 60 days.  It honestly might take the whole month to get rid of the bloating/swelling.  ugh.  Water, water, water!

Patience is not my strongest virtue.

OK, lets talk about these collard wraps...

I love cooked collard greens and I detest, DETEST kale.  My question is, how chewy is the raw collards when you use them in a wrap.  Has anyone lightly steamed them?  I'm concerned that it will mimic kale.  Thoughts on this?  I suppose I could stop being a baby and just try it but I'll poll those of you who've tried it first.  LOL!

Jess, I'm really challenged with veggies too.  I really like your idea about dressing up the veg.  I'm going to investigate that.

Hey, I just started a Whole30 recipe page on pinterest.  Does anyone else have a page with recipes etc. that I can follow?

Bitter, bitter cold this morning -8 without the windchill.  Just warmed up to -6.  Listen, I love the winter but this is a little crazy! 

Stocked the car with blanket and emergency kit, just need to put some water and snacks in there "just in case".

Have a terrific day!

Linda

Karen, sending you love and hugs.  So sorry to hear about your break-up but please keep writing, it will help.

I think the crockpot is brilliant!  I use mine a lot.  I just saw a great pork recipe from NomNom Paleo last night.  I'll try to find it and any other good recipes and post them later.

Be kind to yourself!

Linda

Karen - I'm so sorry to hear about your break up - that is SO HARD, but it sounds like you've gained some serious insight. there is nothing easy about moving on. I do always love the saying "when one door closes another one opens. but that hallway is a bitch." on a lighter note, only on this forum can one post contain the sadness of a breakup with the happiness of a pressure cooker!

Linda - I found some recipes I'm going to try - all from nomnompaleo. a big problem for me is I find about 5 or 6 recipes, buy the veggies for them, but the reality is I only end up making like 2 or 3 (each lasts me a couple days) and then I waste the rest of the veggies. so I have to contain myself and try to only buy a few veggies at a time, especially since I tend to go to the store 2x a week when on a whole__.

I forgot how much I love asparagus wrapped in bacon and there was a great Brussels sprouts with bacon recipe. I have collard greens on my list and some simple green beans with salt and pepper (easy peasy)

I'm on Day 2, and I would love to join this group if it's not too late...

This is my @nd Whole30, the forst was just this past Oct. and I loved it, but then the holidays came - I stayed about 70% gluten, grain and sugar free, but was always planning on another 30-45 days to really break some bad eating habits and make new good ones stick! So after a big NY's Day feast that included afew non-complient items like black eye's peas and corn bread, I started again yesterday! Excited to get through the first week and be feeling and sleeping better!

good luck to everyone  and Happy New Year !

Hello all,  I'm on Day Something over here (I mentioned a page or two ago that I lose track of days almost immediately on a WholeX :lol: ).  Doing well, finding it a relief.  I have some work stress coming up over the next few months, and I am going to need this way of eating to keep me focused on what matters to me. 

Sending good thoughts to all, and echoing the question above about raw collards.  Generally raw green veggies do baaaaad things to me.  Wondering about collards though.  Since, you know, no sandwiches anymore!

I plan to be really organized this time around, I swear.. I am making a spreadsheet of what's in our freezers before heading out to shop on Saturday. Hopefully something like that will keep me on track and budget.

Don't forget to put venison stew on the menu.  See you tomorrow!

msehphdjd = Melissa  :D  I like your idea of the eggs, etc. and, yes, that's our general plan re leftovers. I'm just going to be working someplace where I don't know yet if I have access to anyway to heat things up and some things just don't cut it cold!

BTW, I see you're in Maine. I'm just up the road in New Brunswick. Cold enough for you? Sheesh!

In other news - I have a killer headache. Caffeine and aspartame withdrawal, I'm guessing. Can't wait to be able to lie down!

Lunches are tough if I wait and do them on the fly. Doesn't work at all for the W30! What's your favorite packable lunch that doesn't require heating?

These are two of my favorites:

On Sundays I often make a big crockpot full of Balsamic Chicken Salad and shred it up once done: http://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/crock-pot-balsamic-chicken-thighs/. Each morning I put a heaping mound of chicken on top of mixed greens and when I'm ready to eat lunch I add avocado. Delish!

In a nori wrap I put lettuce, smoked salmon (sugar free) and avocado and then roll it into a cone. Yum!

~ Nina

Hoping the journey is off to a good start for all!

I'm afraid I've come down with a cold the last couple of days and am struggling with eating all my meals. Yesterday I only managed 2 and it looks like today may be the same. Looking forward to when this bug is gone!

A few of you have mentioned feeling challenged by veggies. I too find getting enough in difficult. I have however that I love just about any vegetable roasted in the oven with a fat and a little salt and garlic powder.

Karen - So sorry your heart is hurting right now. Make sure to take extra special care of yourself.

Paula - Everybody's body is different and yes it can take more than 30 days to see the effects.

Linda - I'd love to share Pinterest Boards! My user name there is habitualpurpose. I have a W30 board. Anyone else have Pinterest boards to share?

AmyinCA - welcome!

~ Nina

Welcome, AmyinCA! 

And Melissa is much easier than alphabet soup, particularly since I'm mildly dyslexic and would never get it right.

Karen, so sorry for your pain.  But it's a sign of maturity and self-confidence to be able to look at a relationship, realize it isn't 'right', and choose to let it go.  Yay for the pressure cooker, though.

Paula, I find longer than 30 days helpful.

Linda, I don't know what to tell you about the collard wraps.  I love kale.  I guess, if you like the collards cooked, you can just throw caution to the winds and try one wrap.  If you don't like it, you can always just eat the filling and cook the collards for later.

Jess, I like the focus on the veg.  I can always find a protein in a pinch, but when there isn't anything to pair it with is when I get off-track.

Feel better, Nina.

Melissa, there was a thread a few months ago about jarred salad.  You could probably google it.  Someone was making a week's worth of salads in quart mason jars.  They have to be filled in a specific order, with dressing on the bottom and the harder veg next, with more delicate ones on top so they don't wilt and get slimy.  Then when you are ready to eat, you just stir it or shake it up.

I have zits.  Zits!  On my forehead, and one cheek.  I haven't had zits in thirty years!  I figure this must be payback for my disgusting December.  So much poison in my system it's leaking out everywhere, or it's being forced out by healthy food.  Begone, toxins!

Karen, 

I love cooking in a pressure cooker, esp when I need dinner on the table in 15min.  I do veggies in mine - heat until it comes to pressure then right away put under cold water to release.  Also, chicken in there in some homemade chicken stock for a few minutes and it shreds like a dream.  It took me awhile to get used to the pressure cooker, but now I can have sweet potatoes in 8 minutes.  Have fun with your new kitchen toy!!!

Hey y'all I'm on day one of my first whole 30 and would love to join this group! I did a ton of cooking today so that I'm not completely overwhelmed when school starts again on Monday and I have to go back to work. I am definitely in the boat of struggling with the vegetables.

I've been having joint and overall body pain for some time now--especially bad the last two weeks. I realized tonight that I am having less pain when moving around. I can stand up from sitting without wincing. Could some magic be happening so quickly? Inflammation coming down in just a few days?

Maryann - Thanks so much for the well wishes! As bothersome as they are, I do totally agree zits are a sign of your body releasing.

Libby - welcome to the group!

Regarding pressure cookers...I've always been scared of them. Not sure why. Are they fairly easy to use?

~ Nina

Hi all!

Day 2 for me! I am very excited about this journey. I find that every time I do this I learn so much more about my patterns, eating as well as thinking:)

Jtandi- Yes! It's me. I went back to smoking shortly after my whole 45 with you guys but have been nicotine free now for almost 7 months!! Woohoo! I plan to stay this way.

I have been eating paleo+ some dairy if that makes sense for the past 6 months, and within just the past 2 days....I realize just how much I have been eating. I introduced many paleo friendly treats over the holidays and didn't realize just how much playing with my food I was really doing!

I look forward to this 60 days, and can't wait till next week when I'm really in the groove:)

Night all,

Karen- I'm sorry about your heartache and I'm glad you had such a successful learning experience in your relationship. Jess's response that only here can we talk about the sadness of heartbreak and the joy of a new pressure cooker at the same time-- and I find that is the key to happiness. Life is not just this or that -- it's this and that. And so for me too at this time of my loss of Dan that I find myself with both very happy and beautiful moments AND sadness which needs to be acknowledged.

Been chugging along here. But I have the biggest headache every morning which I recognize and actually and happy about because I know it means my body is converting from sugar as an energy source to fat as an energy source. Looking forward to the complete conversion.

I am Eating out every night next week. In these situations it helps for me to think about food as fuel and not as pleasure. I find the plainest thing on the menu (usually grilled salmon) and order that. I try to bring my own homemade salad dressing in my purse or just ask for olive oil and vinegar. I deep breathe and tell myself I can do anything for 30 days.

Off to yoga!

Welcome aboard, Libby!

I am also afraid of pressure cookers, and I'm probably on enough government watch lists because of my conservative politics, Tea Party membership, and Second Amendment activism that it would be unwise for me to purchase one right now.  After all, my own government has decided people like me are "domestic terrorists", so it wouldn't be long before the black SUVs showed up in my driveway convinced I was building bombs.

welcome AmyinCA...I'm assuming that means your name is Amy and you live in CA :lol: :lol: :lol: . where in CA are you? I'm up in the bay area.

well...yesterday was more of a soft start so today will be my day 1. as I said, I had nothing in the house so traveled to the grocery store. but, that being said, I stayed pretty close with a few major no-nos. who was it that said we don't drop the whole carton when one egg is broken? and I decided day 1 isn't the day to take the kids to the movies. I have a thing with movies. but rather than having any candy or popcorn from there I ended up popping some organic corn at home and throwing some kerrygold on it for the kids and did have a few handfuls. but that didn't lead to me coming home and eating ice cream or any other "last minute" items..and I am so grateful for that!

I signed up for a CF comp at my box today and I am SO ANXIOUS ABOUT IT. I'm sure I'm going to drag my team down. my old MO is to go there and apologize up front to my team for having to have me on their team. but really? I Rx a LOT of my workouts. I'm strong in a lot of ways. sure, there are things I can't do, but there are things everyone can't do. so today I WILL NOT talk negatively about myself. I will show up and know that I am an asset to my team, not liability.

it will be hard for me to do breakfast because of this, I don't normally eat before a workout and I don't like the feeling of food in my belly when I work out, so I am having something small now. (the comp starts in a couple hours).

wish me luck!! (on the comp and my day 1! it's always the hardest for me...)

Archived