Awesome 2014!

1Maryann

ok...scratch that...I just looked at the WOD and the two things I CANNOT do are included. I will be totally self depreciating. dang. now I wish I'd never signed up. but at least I'm not going to eat a twinkie over it, right?!

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok...scratch that...I just looked at the WOD and the two things I CANNOT do are included. I will be totally self depreciating. dang. now I wish I'd never signed up. but at least I'm not going to eat a twinkie over it, right?!

Maybe those 2 things will be difficult for a lot of people and the playing field will be pretty even? You never know! Keep your head up and let us know how you do!

You are not allowed to be self deprecating.  It's against the rules.  Bite your tongue (literally) if you must.  I'm so very much not kidding.

I will join! This is my first W30, and so far (day 3), it's going well. I don't know if I'll have any major withdrawals. I'm kind of waiting to see what happens. I ate a fairly clean diet before this, but it still had it's down points. There wasn't a lot of sugar, so I don't know that that will be a problem. I will say that I was watching Cake Boss with my girls yesterday and they were making a cake for a chocolate lover's birthday. For a few minutes there, I had the worst craving ever for a Reese's Peanut Butter cup! And I don't even like them!!! But I made a cup of tea and it went away!

hi all! thanks guys - no self depreciation happened...and I had a blast. I had a great team and we had a lot of fun.i seriously cannot do pull ups or toes to bar and we each had to do 30 pull-ups and split 100 T2B between the four of us. I used bands and just did knees to chest. but I was proud that I was able to Rx 50 thrusters w/45 lbs and front rack walking lunges with 65#. everything else was easy (wall balls, db snatches, and 1000m row). I know next time to sign up again...and have fun. at the end we did a max clean and jerk and I got 85# and felt. I could go up a bit more, but we only had three times and I didn't want to jump too fast.

eating before didn't really happen, I did poorly on that part. with nerves and all I ended up just having a banana. but when I got home I was starving (of course) and so am super glad I kept my leftover eggs and chorizo from yesterday in the fridge and slopped on some salsa. after eating I had to sit with my desire to eat something sweet or eat more even though I was full. not grabbing a Lara bar is hard for me. on the way home I planned on stopping to get food before I realized that I'm doing a whole__...

off to throw my chicken in the crock pot for dinner...yummers

I will join! This is my first W30, and so far (day 3), it's going well. 

I am also on day 3. So far so good just a little tired. The weather here is awful so I think that is part of it.

hi all! thanks guys - no self depreciation happened...and I had a blast. I had a great team and we had a lot of fun.i

off to throw my chicken in the crock pot for dinner...yummers

Yay!! Good for you! Things are always worse in your your head than they really are once you get there. Glad you had fun! I am crockpotting (new verb?) tonight too. Italian pork shoulder with tomatoes and green beans! Meat for days!!

Pretty good over here for day 2, I've had a bit of a headache for parts of the day but usually goes away once I drink some more water. 

Question, do any of you have a great idea of where to find coconut flakes? I can find unsweetened shredded coconut but I can't seem to find coconut flakes anywhere! 

Jumping in somewhat late here. Going for a third (hopefully successful) 30. We've only made it to day 20 so far. Yes, I know it was only 10 more days, but anyway. Our downfall has been organization and having things for those nights neither of us want to cook. It's too easy on those nights when my 3 year old says she wants pizza to give in to her. (Bad Momma, I know)

So, we officially start tomorrow (the 5th). Today we spent two hour prepping in the kitchen. I have homemade mayo, a dozen hard boiled eggs, 2lbs of cooked ground beef, a whole cooked chicken, steamed green beans, steamed carrots, roasted sweet potatoes, roasted butternut squash, butternut squash soup, and chopped veggies ready for salads. I also have some uncooked stuff like acorn squash and japanese sweet potatoes, and compliant chicken sausages and a variety of fruit.

NO excuses! :)

Hi all, lots been going on here, so inspiring to read all your posts. I am feeling quite fired up now... just as well as have come back from the beach house to an empty fridge. Added a can of tomatoes to some Xmas dinner roast soup stock and threw in three scrambled eggs on top and that was dinner - I am impressed with my ingenuity! Breakfast might have to be the same and I have a small container of ground meat and veg in the freezer and half a cucumber for lunch..... Here's hoping OH goes shopping while I am at work tomorrow.

Went for my first run in a week today.... I wasn't very noncompliant on Xmas day but enough to give me a major rash all over my stomach... not sure if it was due to sugar, some dairy in chocolate and Christmas snow or alcohol...... very annoying though and no sympathy at home since I ate food I know my body doesn't like....

Been drinking coffee again but going back to caffeine free tomorrow.... at least I have got over the sugar withdrawal headaches by now so wont get a double whammy.

Day 5 has been awesome. Only bummer is that my osso bucco barely fits in my slow cooker, I hope it turns out okay  :o I had to leave out most of the veggies lol they don't fit! Even had a post WO meal today, very proud of me. Stuffed up my pre WO meal though, but I have not been doing these before, so I will class that as a win.

Yummy salmon patties & homemade mayo for dinner: http://www.ladyhomemade.com/2012/11/14/quick-salmon-patties-and-whole30-week-two/ This time I added an extra egg and cooked them in 12 patties in a muffin tin, with a blob of coconut oil in the bottom of each one.

Pretty good over here for day 2, I've had a bit of a headache for parts of the day but usually goes away once I drink some more water. 

Question, do any of you have a great idea of where to find coconut flakes? I can find unsweetened shredded coconut but I can't seem to find coconut flakes anywhere! 

I wandered over to the health food section and found them there with all the Bob's Red Mill stuff. Just double check that they don't have some weird preservative... 

Day 5 has been awesome. Only bummer is that my osso bucco barely fits in my slow cooker, I hope it turns out okay  :o I had to leave out most of the veggies lol they don't fit! Even had a post WO meal today, very proud of me. Stuffed up my pre WO meal though, but I have not been doing these before, so I will class that as a win.

Yummy salmon patties & homemade mayo for dinner: http://www.ladyhomemade.com/2012/11/14/quick-salmon-patties-and-whole30-week-two/ This time I added an extra egg and cooked them in 12 patties in a muffin tin, with a blob of coconut oil in the bottom of each one.

Holy Moly! Your salmon muffins sound AMAZING! I added them to this weeks menu. Thanks!!

well I'm done with day one (yesterday) and, like I said, it's always the hardest for me. I think "well...ONE/' more day won't hurt!". and yesterday it was more like "well...I DID do my first CF challenge..." :P  sitting with my feelings of desire for sweets is important for me. I am trying to figure out if it's emotionally charged, but I think it's actually just habit.

I made my chicken last night in the crock pot and got some white asparagus at the store the other day. it's pretty much the same. I had a kind of vinegar glaze on it and it was great. but I didn't eat enough and before I went to sleep I had to run down and eat 1/2 an avocado. but that banana and almond butter was calling to me! I told it to shut up.

on to day 2!

I learned today that cheese knows my name and isn't afraid to use it!! We came home from church and everyone wanted lunch so that they could go outside before the weather got too crazy. I made quesadillas for the girls and my husband and had plans to fry some cabbage and a few eggs for myself. (I haven't made mayo yet, so no tuna fish for me :( ) As I was slicing the cheese, I had to step away for a moment. The urge to grab a hunk of that sharp cheddar and savor it was SO strong!!! I told my husband that apparently I'm not allowed to make those when I am home alone!!! I need supervision! On the other hand, my lunch was yummy and super filling, as was dinner last night. I made a fritatta with all sorts of veggies and some bacon, then I sauteed some kale to go with it. It was so yummy!!! I'm glad we had a few pieces leftover for breakfast this morning before church!!!

Oh, and now all the kids at church know that I always have a few clementines in my purse or coat pocket. I went with 4 and came home with none!!!

FYI, I've learned that I don't really have to wait for my ingredients to get to room temperature in order to make mayonnaise.  I use an immersion blender (a Breville) and just layer the ingredients in the container and go to it.

I've been walking self and dog regularly the last two days!  Woot!  This is a big thing for me.  I was getting quite fit last spring and summer, and then I moved and some other things happened, and I simply stopped.  It was a big enough deal, during all of that, to re-start Whole30 eating.  Now I'm walking again.  Not far yet, but I'm doing it!  Golden retriever and soprano are both better for it already.

Food's fine over here.  No complaints.  Off to the store to provision in a bit.

well I tried making mashed cauliflower with my lunch and it tasted okay once I added some creole seasoning but it was very thin, anyone have some magic tips for that? I'm thinking maybe there was too much coconut milk in it? Thanks!

Erin - I found handling cheese (and not eating it) much easier if I did it after I'd eaten :) Also, if you can find a cheese you hate and they like, that helps too ;) One of my surprise findings from my first W30 reintro phase is that blue cheese often contains gluten! The blue mould part is often grown on a gluten base.

Libby - For mashed cauli, I steam mine in the microwave, drain it very very well and then blend with an immersion blender. For me, I find when it's too wet, it's when I've not drained it enough before I blend it. It's much better with fat, but you can have it without. If it's too sloppy, you can always use it for soup :D I also find the greenish-tinged caulis yukky for mashed cauli, not sure if these are under-ripe caulis, but the texture doesn't work for me for a smooth mash, always seems kind of gritty/lumpy. I make cauli rice with those greeny ones. I find the rice is good fresh, but I really don't like leftovers of it, the taste seems very different to my palate. I don't mind the rice in curries, if I need leftovers, I add it in curries.

Jess - I found quite a bit of my fruit affection was really just making up for lack of food. Once I ate more in my meals, didn't want it anymore.

Phew, my overstuffed slow cooker survived overnight, 8 serves of osso bucco really doesn't fit lol as it was shrunk this morning, I added in some raw carrots and onions and seasoning, hoping it'll be good for dinner tonight :)

Oh, I forgot to mention, I switched out the herbs in the salmon patties for spring onions, because I love them :) The extra egg worked a treat, perfectly crisp-edged muffins, had em for dinner, breakfast and lunch and they were awesome with my homemade (macadamia oil) mayo :D

I didn't mean to, but have been eating nothing but salmon for two days, beef for dinner tonight! :D

PP - off-topic, but I'm reading through a detective series right now, set in Melbourne!!  The Phryne Fisher series by Kerry Greenwood.  Love it!  I am just reading right now about Melbourne summers and the hot dusty winds.  Is that what you're going through right now?

Anyway.  I've been eating plenty.  I made myself an enormous lunch without realizing it, and I'm not hungry for dinner.  Oops!  :lol:

I have become addicted to collard wraps.  Lunch today was hamburgers!  I haven't had a hamburger I could put mayo and ketchup (tomato paste, really) and onion and avocado on and pick up in my hands since I started eating this way 2 years ago.  It was so exciting!  I cut the burger in half and made 2 wraps out of it.

Previously I have been taking dinner leftovers to work and having a salad on the side.  Of course, that's all knife and fork food.  Now I'm back to wanting 'sandwich stuff' for lunch.

Bummer, I looked everywhere and can't find collard seeds for my garden.  It's pretty late in the season, so most places are picked over already and they won't be getting more.  I'll be more prepared next season.

PP - off-topic, but I'm reading through a detective series right now, set in Melbourne!! The Phryne Fisher series by Kerry Greenwood. Love it! I am just reading right now about Melbourne summers and the hot dusty winds. Is that what you're going through right now?

Cold dusty winds right now, temps have gone back to winter.... First day back at work and I had to wear my winter clothes!

I love reading books based in Oz since there aren't many, feels a bit weird though reading of places I know about.

This collard talk inspired me to have hamburgers wrapped in the poor cousin.... Lettuce leafs. Tried growing kale but it didnt work out, it's $5 a bunch for the curly stuff here.

FYI, I've learned that I don't really have to wait for my ingredients to get to room temperature in order to make mayonnaise.  I use an immersion blender (a Breville) and just layer the ingredients in the container and go to it.

That is the way I do it too! So easy and the clean up is waaaaay easier than with a blender or processor. As a bonus, I make it right in the container I store it in. All these revelations have really upped my mayo intake.  :D

Well, I am finally joining this party!  Today is my Day 1, and my Awesome 2014 is FINALLY under way!

We are dealing with dangerous cold in my part of the country, so that means also dealing with cancelled flights, school closings and all kinds of things I was not counting on for my W30D1.  Additionally, I've decided to wait until tomorrow to pick up groceries and begin prep cooking.  Luckily, I have enough compliant leftovers in the fridge to give it a go anyway!

In fact, turkey burgers in collard wraps sounds totally do-able for dinner.  Yes, please!

... I am SO glad to finally be here!

Archived