Awesome 2014!

1Maryann

Maryann, its hard to believe the growing season is almost past!   Oh I so want to be in FL next year!  Or Arizona.  :-)   Just somewhere warmer than Maine.

WholeJanuary is going well for me so far but today I have a big craving for something, I just don't know what it is.  I keep walking over to the fridge and looking but nothing comes to mind.  Weird.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

Still down for the count with this bug I caught. It's really affecting my appetite and energy level. Any suggestions other than sleep? Tried to go to work today but ended up coming home early.

I am now officially in love with zoodles. I used them for "spaghetti" and meatballs the other day and then on Saturday night I cooked up some chopped bacon and then sautéed them with the bacon and some garlic. Yummmmm!

Hoping you all are doing well.

Jess - from your comment to AmyinCA it looks like we're in the same neck of the woods :)

AmyS - any secrets to using the immersion blender? Sometimes mine turn out fine and others it doesn't.

Erin and Mary - Welcome!

Melbournegirl - yummmm...going to have to try the salmon patties!

Cheers!

~ Nina

Maryann, its hard to believe the growing season is almost past!   Oh I so want to be in FL next year!  Or Arizona.  :-)   Just somewhere warmer than Maine.

Tracy, I moved here from Damariscotta in the fall of 1990.  The winter before got below 0 by Thanksgiving and never got above until mid-March.  Every morning I would get up, check the outside thermometer and want to cry.  -18, -23, -32.  I wore I would never do it again and I didn't!  It was so cold for so long that the frost went deep enough to heave some folks foundations.  Frozen sewer lines were as common as frozen water lines.

Amy - one thing you can rely on for Melbourne weather is that it's always changing :D We're in the hot part of summer now, but nation-wide having weird weather after the cyclone landed in Western Australia (cold snaps, heat waves, storms, etc). There's a TV series about murder mysteries also set in Melbourne you might like, I think it's called Mrs Fisher, maybe Mrs Fischer. It's old Melbourne, not current Melbourne.

Habitual - my tip for the immersion blender is make sure it fits inside a jar before you go trying to make mayo in it's storage jar, mine didn't fit inside any of my jars! lol

Amy - one thing you can rely on for Melbourne weather is that it's always changing :D We're in the hot part of summer now, but nation-wide having weird weather after the cyclone landed in Western Australia (cold snaps, heat waves, storms, etc). There's a TV series about murder mysteries also set in Melbourne you might like, I think it's called Mrs Fisher, maybe Mrs Fischer. It's old Melbourne, not current Melbourne.

Habitual - my tip for the immersion blender is make sure it fits inside a jar before you go trying to make mayo in it's storage jar, mine didn't fit inside any of my jars! lol

Yes, I'm reading the Phryne Fisher book series right now.  It's set in Melbourne in the 1920s.  I haven't started watching the TV series based on the books yet.  I'm loving the books!

Heads up!  I was in Whole Foods yesterday and saw a sign that they are having a One Day Only Sale on grass-fed ground beef this Friday, 2/10.  Don't know if this is everywhere, or just FL, but I plan to stock up   Only $3.99!  It may be their 'grass-centered' beef, which is grain finished, but it's still a good deal.  I actually like their grain-finished in things like meatloaf, because it has a slightly higher fat content and isn't as dry after an hour in the oven.

Maryann - thanks for the WF tip! I always stock up when it's on sale!!!! I just checked and it's on at my store, too! AND collard wraps? HELLO!!! I had some pastrami and saurkraut with mayo/tomato paste mix yesterday for lunch! amazing! O was so worried it would be bitter but it was awesome!

I am still chugging along and have continued to ban my much loved Lara bars. it's still hard, maybe even more so than sweets. maybe. I did overdo on nuts yesterday and I know better...total GI stuff for me...let's just say the bed was warm last night! :lol: :lol: :lol:

we went to Chipotle for dinner and I REALLY wanted some rice in there, too. ugh. but I already have noticed a huge anount of reduction in my bloat, so obvioulsy the grains (corn and rice) and sugar are so huge for me. and already I've noticed my tolerance level greatly improved, another need as I was getting SO irritable and short. phew.

love reading here! I get instant emails so I am constantly checking my mail. my computer is kind of sucky right now so I don't even want to get on it!

it doesn't look like it's on sale at the Whole Foods here but maybe I'll check on Friday just in case! 

Other than waking up like 4 times last night I feel fine-it's day 5 and supposedly I'm supposed to be hating everything but I feel fine...I should be grateful but it makes me a little worried that I'm going to hit a wall later this week. I am relieved though because I was worried about being cranky the day my kids came back from break! 

I finally renewed my gym membership yesterday since the semester started for them and I get the universtiy faculty price thanks to the high school I work at so my goal is to go at least four times a week! 

Day 2.  I spent a lot of time this morning buying groceries, and then putting them away, including storing a lot of new bulk spices in little tiny jars.  It took a lot of time, and at one point I realized I hadn't eaten in hours, was starving, had nothing planned....  recipe for failure.  However, I looked in the fridge and found 1/2 of a grilled chicken breast and a ton of leftover cooked broccoli.  That all went into a skillet with a tiny bit of Well Fed's chocolate chili -- not enough for a meal, but enough to pack some flavor into plain chicken and broccoli!  It wasn't exactly 4-star, but it worked.  I am still on track.

For tonight, Nom Nom Paleo's green chicken is marinating in the fridge, and I think I'll try making some mashed cauliflower to go with.  And a salad.

Hello Everyone!

Day 9 for me today and I'm doing really well.

A little tired but not from food etc.  You may have heard about the big cold snap that hit the midwest?  Well they've officially coined Chicago "Chiberia" which I think is hilarious!  And true.  -41 wit the windchill yesterday.  So cold outside and trying to keep it warm inside and for some reason our bedroom swelters at night.  Me and my hormones don't do well with that and thats next to an open window too! LOL!  Oh well, here's hoping that as the Whole60 for me progresses, my hormones will regulate too.

It's been wonderful having all the new people join here!

I've really enjoyed reading everyones posts.  I read everyone like a starving woman when each new post comes in too!

My food is really good.

As we discussed here a few days ago, I'm really trying to focus on consuming more veg.  That's my major downfall.

Here's a few ideas I came up with.  Let me know what your ideas are so I can try them.

Prosciutto wrapped asparagus spears.  These were AMAZING and so easy to make.  Oven on broil.  Toss the asparagus spears in a little oil, salt & pepper and then wrap each one in proscuitto.  I cut my slices in half.  Broil for 3-5 minutes each side until crispy.  Let cool a smidge and eat.  I'm telling you, these were so delicious!  i did plain asparagus this way too and it was a big thumbs up.

The second thing I tried was a coleslaw recipe using broccoli slaw, sliced peppers and apples.  Tossed together in a big bowl in the fridge.  If I'm too tired, distracted or lazy to cook, this is a great fall back veggie.  I dress it with a little oil and vinegar and throw on some sunflower seeds and it's fantastic!

I'm broiling salmon tonight and going to make mashed cauliflower and asparagus (plain).

Been noticing that the swelling in my face is going down, rest of my body still has to follow but Im compliant and happy to be back on the WholeX train.

Hugs,

Linda

Okay, I just have to follow up on my earlier post:

The Nom Nom Paleo green chicken was Phe-NOM-NOM-enal!  (Heh!)  I also made Nom Nom's garlic-cauliflower puree; I was still licking the spatula whilst packing that one's leftovers into the fridge!  Also a simple green salad (Romaine, tomato, cuke, onion, avocado) with Sarah Fragoso's Paleo Caesar Dressing, which is always one of our favorites.

I'm all, "This is healthy food?  WHAAT?!"   :D  I just wish they had an eyes-glazed-over-and-salivating emoticon!

Nancy, I've said that so many times.  The 'gourmet' meals I eat on this program as everyday fare are things I would have made only once in a while for special occasions.  We have been conditioned to think that anything THAT delicious must be bad for us/high calorie/unhealthy/etc.  I am so glad to discover that is not true!

Linda - I love asparagus that way too. Another variation I like is to cook with garlic olive oil (plenty of pepper) and add a tiny squeeze of lemon juice at the end.

A fancy version for special occassions (just for looks, doesn't taste better) is to wrap both ends of the asparagus in foil to protect it from the grill, leaving the proscuitto exposed, broil until the proscuitto is like a crispy napkin ring and then remove the foil. I got this trick from a chef and it's been a long time favourite as it's really easy and (sometimes) impresses guests when they can't figure out how it's done.

err, these are a bit delayed, I forgot I put these into notepad when the forum site wouldn't load any pages:

Karen
Hang in there. Endings are hard, but are essential for new beginnings. I also got an electric pressure cooker (I'm afraid of the older kind), but have not used it yet, I have no idea how to cook with one.

okeedokie & Nina I'm on Pinterest too :)
http://www.pinterest.com/praxisproject/ - there's a Whole30 board and some others which might be Whole30, with tweaks.

LibbyM - Coconut flakes are easy to get here, so I hope yours are just hiding. I get mine in health food shops, the hardest part is finding them without sugar. The brand I have now is organic (Eco is the brand) and cheaper than the ones with sugar lol go figure.

A warning for anyone making salad in a jar, do not include mushrooms when you're storing them. They can grow botulism (ewww!) when stored in that kind of environment (anaerobic). Just add the mushrooms in fresh.

If any Aussies are looking for something like Lacroix sparkling water, Mount Franklin Sparkling with a hint of Berry / Lemon / Lime is compliant.

Aroy-D curry pastes - no sugar! Often in asian grocers, mine come in plastic cup sort of containers, with the paste inside a little baggie inside. I can get red, green, massaman (contains no peanut) and penang at our grocer.

I just realized that I am on Day 7!!! I didn't think I would last! There have been one or two little slips, but nothing I can't recover and move on from! I'm going to start planning next week's menu today just so I can get a head start and maybe get all the shopping done early rather than waiting for the last minute as usual!

Hi everyone!

I'm joining in this group a little late, but better late then never.  I am on Day 8 of my 2nd Whole30.  Feels so good to get through the 1st week!  I work in an office with lots of temptations.  Donuts are brought in pretty much every morning, people are bringing in leftover Christmas candy, cookies, etc.  And unfortunately they are kept in places I cant afford - like the conference rooms. 

I'm also getting better at drinking my coffee black.  It actually takes me a lot longer to finish the cup, I usually have to reheat it halfway through . Im just not used to the bitter taste.

Anyways, happy humpday, and for those in the US,  stay warm!

Hi, Jenna!  Welcome aboard!

Jess,

There's a thread on the "Sourcing Good Food" forum called "Vote with your dollars"  In it is a discussion and links regarding GMO food.  Larabars are listed in the group that either contains GMOs or are made by a company that supports the use of GMOs in our food supply.  I thought that might help you break the psychological attachment to them.  I try not to support anyone who is meddling with our food supply in unhealthy ways.

oh all you people in cold country - I hope it's letting up for you! I pay so much more to live in California and I guess that's why!!

Linda - I love asparagus wrapped in bacon, in fact I have some in my fridge and it's calling my name for dinner tonight!

Bonny - I'm going to try that green chicken - I need something new!

Maryann - that helps a lot knowing that the company that makes Lara bars supports GMOs, one more way to make it easier for me to let go!

dmp - I'm not in that exhaustion phase yet, but sounds like a day off might help out!

I'm doing well! last night we did go out to eat (again) and that's one of the things I'm attempting to break, that's two nights in a row and I really want to cut it down to 1x a week. I had a burger (lettuce wrap...and all I could think of is how much better and easier to eat it would be in collard greens!) and ended up eating 3 patties. I was SO hungry!

speaking of hunger - I had a bit of a realization as far as my somewhat recent aversion to breakfast - I was used to eating 4 or 5 eggs with some hash for breakfast and I'm just not really that hungry for some reason. so...I'm only eating two eggs! genius! now I'm happy eating breakfast again. so silly, but it's all that small stuff that makes a difference.

I need to run to WF today for some dinner tonight. or get my soup pulled out of my freezer. maybe the latter! seems easier at this moment!

Amy - I'm getting like you and not really paying attention to the days, but Thursday nights we always stopped by the sushi place on the way home from my daughter's gymnastics (it goes until 8:30 Thursday so a late night) so I know I started on Friday this time. who is going past 30 days? I kind of feel like going until I drop...

Archived