Awesome 2014!

1Maryann

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shelly - I hear ya! I'm sure you ALL remember my anxiety about Indie and her gymnastics...as an update - she's doing great, she made it to states last year, and this year she moved up to the next level (last year she competed level three, this year level 4). I am so proud of myself for how far I've come with myself and letting go around this issue - she is having a blast and enjoying every minute, I am letting go and don't watch practices anymore. if she wants private lessons I'm willing but I no longer ask if she wants them. I'm grateful to you all for supporting me through that!

as far as Adie and starting school, I'm extremely aware of her perception and making sure she knows how excited I am for her and how exciting and fun it will be to go...who knows, she may totally surprise me and leap out of my arms and not look back!! ha!

how is everyone doing? I am sinking a bit, our court date was set for next Thursday but Troy's lawyer called mine on Friday and asked for an extension. less than a week before the court date. needless to say I was mentally prepared for the (first of many) "end date". I know this was just the very first step, but it was something. now I am stuck in limbo again waiting to find out when the court date will be. I'm doing a birthday party for Adie in a week which will keep me busy, but it also places me in direct contact with seriously unhealthy foods...so I am tyring to be kind to myself and remember that this is a journey, that I can allow myself to breathe a bit, and that very soon both girls will be at school in the mornings for three days a week giving me time to take care of my cooking, etc. SO, I'm making the best choices I can (I made cupcakes for tasting yesterday and left them at my parents) and keeping myself sane!

all right ladies, let's hear how your journey is going...

Howdy y'all, I'm still kickin'.  My island got hit by a hurricane so I interrupted my Whole30 for a few days.  I'll be back at it in a day or two.  My area was very fortunate, we weren't hit.  A fairly large geographical area got hit south of me, and there are about 9000+ homes still without power.  It's expected they'll be without power for 2 or more weeks.  Some friends are over this evening showering and doing laundry.  Ice is the prime commodity these days out there.  Hold good thoughts.

I've never been through a hurricane before, so it's been disconcerting even though we didn't end up getting hit at my house.  I moved almost everything to interior spaces (or as close to it as possible) and I still have a large music/office/play room to reset.  I am happy to have my home but not feeling as tied/loyal to it as before, which I think is good.

Eating pretty well but not Whole30 again yet.  Soon enough.

All the best to all in transition.  :wub:

Thanks for the update Jess, a mixed bag of good and bad news but that's life, hey.

Amy, how awful... Glad you are okay.

I'm having a good patch! 13 days in to a fairly strict whole30 (allowing dark chocolate and juice and dried fruit and nuts) and back to the exercise and little snacking this week so feeling happy and my fat pants are no longer strangling me! I think my success or otherwise is quite closely linked to my hormones so next week might be a different story :(

Howdy again y'all, my family and household are fine, there are still thousands without power in areas near-ish to me.  It's amazing the aftermath of a hurricane.

I'll be re-starting a Whole30 this weekend or by Monday at the latest.  It's been good to take off from it, and I'm about ready to dive in again.

Sending good thoughts to all in transition - as it seems many of us are. :wub:

Hi, everyone!  I'm still alive but barely functional.  Baby bird season is winding down.  2-3 more weeks and I can get back on a regular sleep cycle, which wil help immensely.  I am so exhasted all the time that I don't remember the last time any of my meals didn't come out of a microwave or a take-out container.

I'm in a kind of vicious circle.  Eating like crap leaves me with no energy to cook and clean.  But I know I won't get my energy back until I start cooking again.  Making things worse, they tore down the neighborhood eye sore a couple of months ago, a falling down rental unit occupied by a woman from People of Walmart, her son (18-20, no job no school) and their always-escaping pit bulls.  There was also a double garage with a rental apt over it.  It was 2 lots from mine.  It took many truckloads to get rid of the junk stacked in the garage.  It looked like a scene out of Hoarders.  Then the knock-down took forever as they salvaged every scrap they could.  They took out the windows one at a time, they cut holes in the drywall to get the copper pipe one piece at a time, etc.  There was no point exterminating until it was leveled as every step just disturbed more critters.  It has been an ongoing nightmare.

The entire neighborhood has been overrun with rats and roaches ever since.  I have spent hundreds already on an exterminator to get the rats out of my attic and seal up the openings.  Apparently some of my neighbors are using poison instead of traps, as I keep finding dead rats in my yard every week or so.  I'm afraid of the dogs getting into them.  The people next door had to take out half the wall between their kitchen and bathroom to get rid of the family of possums that took up residence in the void where the pipes run.

Next up--roaches.  Eighteen years in this house and I've never had a German cockroach before.  This is FL, so we do get the occassional palmetto bug, but only very occassionally.  These things are nasty, creepy, and quick!  I can't spray or bomb because of the birds, so have been using bait.  It has definitely kept them down, but I still see one once in a while.  As soon as I can afford it, i will have the exterminators come back to do that part of the job as well.  Another reason I don't cook.  No matter how clean i keep my kitchen, it grosses me out to think there may be bugs running around in there, even when I don't see any.

Jess, so sorry about your marriage, but everything in life happens for a reason, even if we can't see it at the time.  May you look forward and not back. 

Shelly, you need to start dishing the dirt, girl!  Who is this man you are considering pitching everything and riding off into the susnset with?

Amy, I thought of you most of all when the hurricanes were training across the Pacific.  We are used to them here, but it never seems to surprise me how long life is disrupted.  Things may appear to be back to normal in your immediate area, then you drive a couple of miles and enter a different reality.  It really helps put the trivial things in perspective when your life is narrowed down to the quest for ice and drinking water.

I know I'm leaving people out--Karen, Justine, PP, Linda.  But right now I have to go feed baby birds.  Again.  I have no clue when I'll be able to get back on the program.  My body is craving it, but the thought of roaches is so disgusting that it may take me quite a while after the exterminator is done to feel comfortable in my kitchen again without the compulsion to constantly wash and sterilize everything in it.  This is bringing all my latent OCD tendencies to the forefront.

Love and miss you all!

hi Maryann! I've been thinking of you, too! YIKES!!! that sounds horrible! I hope things improve soon...and it seems like this time of year is when you can allow yourself some time to breath, if I remember right you are able to bring it back in once the insanity of the season is over...

and SHELLY - I agree with Maryann! dish the dirt girl...you can't leave us hanging!

how is everyone who is whole30'ing doing? I hope well. I just finished the birthday party yesterday, gave away the rest of the cake tonight, and am looking forward to stocking up some serious eats in the freezer over the next couple weeks...then it's on!

I was supposed to have a court date on the 14th and had really spent my time and energy focused on that as a goal but right before we were supposed to go Troy contacted his lawyer and got an extension. we are scheduled for this Wednesday and I'm hoping for a good outcome, this is just a temporary order while the remainder of mediation continues...so anyone with an extra second send out an extra prayer for me, ok?! thanks!!

xoxo

Oh MaryAnn-- Gross!!!! You need some lizards and cats!!

I cannot seem to get started on my W30 and I'm very frustrated. I'm too stressed even to meditate. Insane.

So here's the dirt. I resigned my high level high paying job last week. I rode the "political bull" for as long as I could and I fell off (after 6 years and raising over $30 million for the organization. I have a new job representing an Israeli research and technology organization called the Weizman Institute of Science. I'm off to Israel on September 3-12 and I begin my new job around October 15. There will be travel involved to Washington, D.C. , Baltimore and Philadlephia. But when I'm in Florida I will be working out of my house. No one to supervise and. O one directly supervising me. I'm very excited about this.

I met the guy last February. He also recently lost his wife and at first we were just 2 hearts grieving as one. Then we fell In love. But he is a lot older than I am and retired. I would have had to retire to keep up with him as we both recovered. And I cannot. And for a moment I just wanted to run away with him. But for many reasons I could not (or could not yet!). So I spent some time with him in Martha's Vineyard where he has a summer home and it was glorious. But now it's time to move on although my heart says not yet. Ironically he has a home in DC as well where I am going to be working. Anyway, he's coming to Florida next week and I'll let yips know.

Meantime can anyone help me get back on track!!!!!! I went shopping and of course I still eat out a lot. I just can't get my mind around no drinking and no carbs. I'm usually so disciplined. HELP!!!!!

I promise you one day--- today. Thanks!!!!!

It's compete stress and fear. You would think that if I can do this while my husband is dying then I could do it any time. Not the case here! Every night at dinner or when I come home I go for a drink. Not good!!!!!!! So, no drink today. I feel like am alcoholic. Although last time I had no problem with the drinking at all. Ok. That's my confession. Xo

I'm starting a new job soon, trying to recover from some injuries which have made home cooking difficult (standing). I've been eating well, but the medication has made me put on weight.  :angry: Doing low carb to see if I can balance out the medication until it's gone.

On the plus side, the supplements I've been on seem to be making a huge different to my skil healing capability... a patch that has not been healing for years is now growing new pink skin! :D

Shelly - those are exciting things!!!!!

I understand about the inability to commit...I think in some ways my life was SO out of control last time that this was the one thing I felt I had control over. it could be the same for you. I could hold on to being able to  do this one thing, for me, on my own.

I am still not quite ready to start (although I didn't intend to, so I'm ok with that). I DID, however, get through yesterday with no sugar and no grains. that's my goal on a daily basis for right now.

I am going to court today (in about 1/2 hour) so anyone with a couple extra prayers please send one my way! I'm incredibly anxious. and scared. and everything else. deep breath.

hi guys

update: court went well today, we actually were able to settle everything without going in front of the judge. at this point I'm just waiting for Troy to move out but there is no move out date set so I'm just going to have to be patient. in the mean time he at least has to pay for 1/2 of the living expenses here. he hasn't been willing to really pay anything for the past couple months.

so YAY!! I'm happy and relieved...it's just going to take some time.

Jess- keep breathing and be patient. Do you speak to him at home? Can you help him to move on? I'm presuming this is your wish but I realize divorce is a complicated issue. Any time you want to "talk" you can. And by the way-- yiu hit the nail in the head with why I coujd do the 100 days. It was the only thing I could control in an otherwise completely out of control and very sad situation.

I got through day 1!!!!!! Thank you so much Justine. Ok. Here we go day 2-- I have to eat out 3 times!!!

Breakfast soup was potato, zucchini and carrot which I had with a can of tuna. I ate it at 9am after getting back from my sons 7am tennis comp. I ended up skipping lunch as I was in the city with my mum and cafe food is not worth eating for me.

Dinner was a soup I made this morning from canned tomatoes, zucchini and carrot. I had scrambled eggs and chicken with it.

Being out of the house made it easy to ignore cravings. I also did lots of walking which helped... Two hours at the art gallery plus walking to and from the tram to the city.

I am counting today as day 1 ... I want to do 10 days straight with no coffee, coconut, cocoa, nuts or fruit to curtail inflammation that improved but not as much as I wanted it to with my coffee-free whole16.

So my go to plan will be eggs and soup for breakfast, canned fish and soup or salad for lunch and meat and veg or soup for dinner? I really hope I can stick to it! After that, if I still feel icky I will cut out the fish and eggs (although last time I cut out eggs I think I got worse) and after that I guess I will remove nightshades... That should be pretty much the AIP by then??? I have considered this before but never got there.

Anyone else tried the AIP before?

How's the low carb going PP? Is it helping? I'm not trying specifically to go low carb but of course cutting out fruit and nuts does reduce carbs and I am trying not to compensate by extra potatoes. Today is day 3, feeling very detoxy still with headaches and that nauseous feeling in between meals. I am still drinking tea... Wonder if its the decaf and cocoa I am detoxing from or the sugar and carbs in fruit?

Did you ever do the AIP? I seem to recall....

I hadn't realized until I popped back in just how much I missed you women!

Great insight, Jess, about the one thing you could control in the chaos.

Thanks, Shelley.  He sounds like a nice man.  Who knows?  And the job sounds fabulous.  Congrats!  I love the way you and Justine got each othe back on track. 

I'm not there yet, but I'm making a start.  My gut hurts so bad all the time.  If I close my eyes I can picture every twist and turn, that's how much inflammation I'm carrying around.  This always happens when I slip and let too much wheat in for too long.  It needs to end.

I went to Costco and Whole Paycheck after work.  I stocked up on organic chicken and eggs, grass-fed beef, and organic veggies.  I'm starting a crock pot of beef stew tonight, and cooking off some chicken for sandwiches.  It won't be a W30, but starting tomorrow, there will be no processed foods.  All my meals will be cooked by me.  I don't yet have the time or energy for making mayo or salad dressings, so those will still be bottled, but there will be no more wheat, corn, dairy, or sugar in my diet.

I bought ground pork to make breakfast sausage, and some sweet potatoes for hash.  Lunches will be salads or wraps made with chicken or eggs.  Dinner will be stew for a few days until I decide what to do with the ground beef.  Right now a plain, juicy hamburger sounds fine, but that Costco pack has 4 lbs of meat, so I will either make chili or meatloaf.  I will NOT toss the other packages in the freezer.  I will make something with it.  That way, I have an actual meal that can be defrosted and I won't be able to tell myself it takes to long to defrost a block of meat and I'd better just order a pizza.

When did white potatoes get the green light?  This is awesome!  I am so excited to have them back in my stews and soups.  They soak up the flavors so well while remaining neutral themselves, and the starch adds just enough thickening.

Archived