Awesome 2014!

1Maryann

I think I'm only going to do 30 but unfortunately on day 30 I am leaving on our annual Young Life leader weekend to a camp in Mississippi and I'll be served camp food all weekend! I think my plan is to bring a cooler with a bunch of veggies, order some primal pacs and cross my fingers that they at least offer a gluten free option for the weekend. Young Life camps have amazing food and always have dietary alternatives but this is not a young life camp that we're going to, it's just one we rent for the weekend :( I'm only on day 6 but I'm already worrying about that a little! 

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On day 8 and feeling very lethargic today.  Had a less than stellar workout last night.  Anyone else feeling blah?  Trying to decide if I should even go to my crossfit class tonight or give my body a break...

My 6km run this morning was really hard... Closest I ever came to walking the last 2km and I never do this!

The cold weather is really messing up deliveries, and a lot of the shelves at the grocery stores are just empty.  Today I went out to pick up some chicken for dinner, and there wasn't any!  (At least none that I would ever buy.)  But my gaze happened to fall upon some nice looking scallops, which we love, but don't often have... hmmmmm...

Tonight's dinner:  dry-seared scallops, roasted sweet potatoes, and zoodles.  Delicious!  I wonder what's for dinner tomorrow!   :lol:

Keep up the great work, everybody!

Nan

Are those zoodle makers worth it?  I use my julienne peeler, which works great and has almost no clean-up, but the strands come out like angel hair.  Sometimes I would prefer a thicker zoodle but still on the fence about purchasing another kitchen gadget.

Maryann, I bought a zoodle maker and rarely use it.  When I do use it, the kids like it.  I think if I were more of a cook (recipe-type cook that is), I'd like it a lot though.  I'm more of a "roast a bunch of stuff and throw it in the fridge, then combine in various ways all week" kind of a cook).

Amy, that's what I'm afraid of.  I know you struggled with "The Attack of the Kitchen Gadgets" also.  I don't make zoodles that often.  Maybe twice a month.  So the question is "Is the expense and the need for space worth it to get fatter zoodles on occasion?"  Depending on the recipe, the skinny ones are usually just fine.

Welcome, Andrea!

I am cruising! Even eating out 2 meals a day. The only thing I can't control is cooking oil. But I have been eating salads with oil and vinegar, a ton of salmon and veggies. My only bad is that I eat coconut butter at night. I'm stopping that today. Also my banana tree banans just got ripe (I case you don't know bananas grow on a huge stalk and they all get ripe at once) I used to make banana breads and send them to all my kids but I have no time now so I need to start freezing them.

I have a spiral cutter, and I like it.  I have tried the julienne peeler method, but it takes longer, and you get short, thin, little strips instead of long, thick, spiral "noodles."  Both kinds taste great.

But beware:  the gadgets can be addictive!  I used to get by with a Kitchen Aid mixer (which I loved and now never use!) and a good knife.  Now I have an immersion blender that I use EVERY DAY, a food processor that is indispensable, a spiral cutter that I'm glad I bought...  If I find myself thinking about ordering one of those bacon bowl things, I will admit I have a problem.   :D

I have only had my zoodle maker for a couple of weeks but I do envision using it a lot.  It's very easy to use and clean which definitely makes a difference for me.  So far, I've just used zucchini with it but I plan on trying it with lots of other veggies too.

Hi guys, joining late, I started on the 1st...I got a vegetable spiralizer, and I use it almost every day! Not just for zoodles, but I also spiralize root vegetables (sweet potatoes, turnips, parsnips) to make "hash browns". I think I have tried to spiralize every type of produce in my house, lol. (I also have the julienne peeler. And the immersion blender. And I got a new Cuisinart food processor for xmas...plus a new set of knives). My guess is that if you have it, you'll find a tons of ways to use it.

1Maryann - I highly recommend the Paderno spiralizer if you're thinking of getting one. Kids seem to really love them. Mine comes with different thicknesses. But if you already have a julienne peeler (I only had a hand one before, which was too slow), it may not be a big bonus for you.

Shelley - I freeze bananas too :)

hi all...I've been off the last two days, mostly because I'm beating myself up. sigh. on Wednesday I had one of those running crazy days and got home from CF with nothing ready in the house and I ate a Lara bar. then yesterday I did the same thing at the end of the night, but last night it was way more stress related. I know they're technically compliant but they are NOT compliant for what I am trying to do in these next __ days. and I'm eating more of another food I'm trying to cut down/avoid. so I'm feeling a bit defeated. I need to pull up my big girl panties and get on with it.

I'm off to work today with my compliant food and a small snack. I guess my hospital put a tent out in it's parking lot because of the HUGE influx of H1N1 (swine flu). can't wait. yay.

Welcome Jenna & Andrea!  Wow, so many people this time around.  It's very inspiring!

Have to admit to having a few really rough days this week.  Yesterday was the worse.  I'm on day 12 and I'm not feeling a lot of changes in my body.  As a matter of fact, I'm still very swollen and I'm snoring the house down which has never happened this far into a WholeX.  I'm very discouraged.

I was at a coaching seminar last night and they listed the 4 types of learners - Master, Obsessive, Dabbler & Hacker.  They talked about a "Master" being someone who strives to learn as much as they can about a subject.  They say there are not too many high or low point but a progressive climb in your knowledge and application.

While I do not consider myself a Master at much, I did liken this to my health journey.  There are most certainly highs and lows but my goal is to educate myself on my body and my health and become a Master at taking care of myself.  Might sound silly but it's what I'm holding onto today.

I have a tendency to put time frames on things and that is really standing in my way today.  The truth is that my body swelling might not go down until day 59 and if I achieve that at all, I will be a success.  Acceptance is the key today.

I am going to try really hard to be gentle and loving with myself as I would with all of you and see if that doesn't help me.

So, the next time I talk myself into off-roading, I want to remember this place that I'm in today.

It took 50 miles to walk into the woods, it will take 50 miles to walk out.  Ugh.

Hugs,

Linda

Hang in there Linda, as a veteran you know ups and downs are part and parcel of the journey. I am having an up I guess, the last three days have been easy, I have been able to eat sensibly - not too much and three times a day, I have been exercising... its been a bit of a struggle and I am sore from the new motions but I have done it Plus AF came one day late but I completely forgot I was due this week so I musn't have had any noticeable PMT symptoms.

Hope everything improves soon for you and anyone else struggling. Next week will be my hard week I expect.

yesterday was CRAZY at work, we are going through renovations at my hospital and so our ER is a complete mess, and add on top the HUGE amount of sick people and we have been overwhelmed. but the whole day I thought about coming back here and saying "YAY! I stayed compliant today!" and it got me through. even when I got home from work at 6, threw my two year old in the car, and rushed off to get my older girl at gymnastics at 7. we did stop on the way home and grabbed some good burgers because I needed to get the kids in bed by 8:30...Thursday is a late night and they don't get to bed until 10 so I always make sure Friday is an early early night.

SO, off to work again today and have my soup and salad ready to go. I'm sure it's going to be another amazing and fun day!

Linda - let's make a deal - you don't beat yourself up and I won't beat myself up either! :)

Not sure I should ask this, but what is a bacon bowl? :)

Just what it sounds like.  If using a muffin pan, you would turn it upside down and cover each knob with bacon.  After baking in the oven to cook the bacon, you pry it off the pan and you have an edible bowl to put stuff in. 

Jess, why are there larabars in your house if you know from experience you invent excuses to eat them?  I'm sure they were not the ONLY compliant food on hand.  You set yourself up to fail just by keeping them around.  They may be technically compliant, but I think they have to be on your forbidden list or you will never win against the sugar dragon.  Hooray for staying compliant in the middle of an epidemic, though!  That was awesome!

I hear you, Linda!  I don't feel or see much change myself for 11 days in.  But it is what it is.  I am starting to wonder if I'm maybe trying to repeat old yoyo patterns.  On conventional diets, where you drop a bunch of weight then regain it fairly quickly, you eventually reach a place where your body knows what's coming next.  It knows that after the feast comes the famine and it gets harder to lose those pounds with each successive attempt.

Am I doing that with this program?  I do so well, I never cheat, I can stay on W30 probably forever, but as soon as I start riding my own bike, the pizza and the other junk creep back in and I bloat and feel like crap.  And each time it feels like it takes just a little longer for the 'good' things to reappear--the end of the joint pain, the flatter tummy, the leveling of moods, etc.  So I'm having to take stock of my behaviors.  I need to draw some lines permanently.  Since last year I have let go of alcohol, diet soda, and legumes.  Wheat and dairy will be much harder, but I know they may be necessary.  The longer I don't eat them, the worse I feel when I do, and the longer the recovery.

So....  5 days in on my W30, we receive an elaborate goodie basket as a thank you gift.  Lovely nuts, candies, dried fruits, scones and muffins.  At first I tried just nibbling a little on the nuts and dried fruits, but the scones just looked sooooo good, and I decided just to try one little bite.  Well, one bite led to eating the whole scone, which led to eating a muffin, which led to chowing down on ALL OF IT.  

I woke up this morning fully committed to starting all over again at Day 1, when I realized that I DREAMED THE WHOLE THING!  I have heard so many people talk about these kinds of eating dreams during a W30, and now it has happened to me!  Even while dreaming I kept admonishing myself for wrecking my program.  And I continued kicking myself for the 5 or 10 minutes it took me to fully wake up.  Crazy!

Maryann, I feel for you but what you say is so true. I tried grains a few times after my whole100 but they didnt make me feel good so I never added them back in. It's about a year now since I had plain brown rice as a side dish. And occasional forays into popcorn or cornchips have made me regret it. Butter, cream and yoghurt don't work for me and icecream is a real disaster. I cant even think about legumes without feeling ill, even peanuts :( I have accepted this.

I worked out what my acceptable off road foods are...dark chocolate, plain potato chips, egg and fruit or nut or sweet potato based puddings and pancakes, wine, the occasional gluten free cookie or candy and fruit juice. The rest is off my island. About three times I have stuffed up by eating food off this list and then suffered for three weeks but its becoming less frequent as time goes by.

Archived