Breakfast Ideas without eggs

lbosmer

I am starting a Whole30 at 18 weeks pregnant. I actually started this morning but am already off to a bad start. I had eggs and sweet potatoes and it came right back up (sorry) I am in desperate need of ideas of breakfast without eggs as the protein since that has been a huge food aversion for me. I am completely stumped since that is my main staple. Sausage, bacon...ideas on compliant brands would be nice. I am sure there is a thread about it somewhere if someone could point me in the right direction. My breakfasts up until now have mainly beed greek yogurt with honey (obviously not W30) and some fruit.

Many threads on this already:
http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/12023-strongly-dislike-eggs-breakfast-ideas/

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/8697-help-other-breakfast-ideas-non-eggs/

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/6774-non-egg-breakfast/

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/1834-breakfast-ideas-without-eggs/

I find the easiest way to search the forum is via Google. Type Whole30 followed by whatever you're looking for. If the topic is here, you'll get the links.

Re: compliant brands, US Wellness Meats is the Whole30 approved source for compliant bacon.http://www.grasslandbeef.com/StoreFront.bok  Everything else, the recommendation is the read the ingredient labels. Some manufacturers have different ingredients in different regions.  Watch out especially for sugar or any sweeteners and gluten.

I bought compliant bacon from Whole Foods - the package actually says Paleo Bacon or Paleo approved or something like that. For sausage, I make my own! It is SO simple and you can either have it crumbed, make patties, muffins, meatballs, etc. Recipe below... I've already completed one Whole30 and have finally gotten over the fact that breakfast doesn't always have to be "breakfast foods". :) Sometimes I will have whatever leftover meat and whatever veggies (crockpot shredded chicken, roasted brussels sprouts, baked sweet potato mash).

http://healthylivinghowto.com/1/post/2012/07/say-goodbye-to-jimmy-dean.html

I am a big fan of hashes with ground meats (pork, lamb, beef) or chopped sausages. I usually do something starchy + onions + greens + whatever needs to be used up. Then, I like to top it with compliant sauces. Right now, I am using a Mina Harrissa. Also check out the hot plate ideas in Well Fed and Well Fed 2.

I also really love soups with some sort of roasted/grilled meat/sausage on the side.

I like ground meat or shredded chicken in a "creamy-style" veggie soup. Butternut squash or sweet potato are good. I like tomato too. I had a lot of nausea, etc when I was pregnant and a smooth soup was easy on my stomach during those times. Maybe make it with bone broth. I can't speak on how much protein that would actually add to the soup, but if it doesn't stay down then that's like having nothing. I loved broths when I was pregnant.

Couple of staples for me: 

cut apple, shredded coconut, and pecans with a little coconut milk on top and a side of bacon 

yam w/ ghee  with side of bacon 

spinach sausage muffins from well fed are great make aheads to have all week.

2 sausage links and an apple

figs, shredded coconut and pecans ( I like pecans but of course any nut can be substituted)

Hope that helps! 

Meredyth

cut apple, shredded coconut, and pecans with a little coconut milk on top and a side of bacon 

figs, shredded coconut and pecans ( I like pecans but of course any nut can be substituted)

Meredeth- It is so nice of you to help out, and your ideas sound really tasty, but I think you could do a little fine tuning with the four "staples" listed above (spinach egg muffins are good to go!). All of your meals during the whole30 should follow the meal template, which means they contain 1-2 palms-worth of protein, 1-2 thumbs of fat and 2-3 cups of vegetables. In three of these cases, you have no vegetables at all, and in three of them you aren't giving your body enough protein. Bacon, while compliant (assuming no sugar, etc.), is really more a fat source or a garnish/flavoring rather than a protein source....eating enough of it to get the protein you need would result in too much fat. Does this make sense?

Here are a couple ideas on how to modify:

smaller portion of the apples/coconut and pecans with coconut milk, a palm-sized pork chop a big pile of sauteed spinach

how about a hash where you shread the yam and sautee with other shreded vegetables (parsnips, carrot, zuchinni?) and ground beef. top with a fried egg. -or- you could do something like my recent vacation day breakfast: cubes of already-cooked yam, sauteed with baby kale/chard/spinach mix, topped with cherry tomatoes and served with a grass-fed beef burger which I topped with a fried egg, but a big spoon of guac would have worked too. yum.

sometimes it's easy to just grab and go, so sure, sausage links, maybe a small apple, plus cut up raw veggies (bell peppers, carrots, cherry tomatoes, sugar-snap peas) and/or cold cooked veggies (steamed broccoli, green beans), and some avocado or guacamole for fat. depending on the size of those links, 1 or 2 hard boiled eggs would be nice here as well but totally not required.

just like the first example, this could work as a small part of a meal but not the main star. How about a three-egg omlette with bacon and greens inside, with a small portion of this mix accompaning? If you are eggless, how about roasted vegetables (root veggies, brussels sprouts, etc.) with a couple chicken thighs?

This sounds like a lot of food, doesn't it? Here's the trick: if you find you can't eat the whole meal, prioritize the most nutient-dense components. So, finish your meat and veggies first and save the fruit and nuts for later if you can't get to it this time. 

EEK- coming back in to edit, since I realized the original poster doesn't want to include eggs!

I'm also pregnant, so I'm also always on the lookout for a breakfast that's going to sooth my stomach.  This morning I had a big bowl of avgolemeno that I made for dinner last night (shredded chicken, bone broth, cauliflower doing a stand in for the rice).  Avgolemeno traditionally has eggs in it (tempered before whisked in, so they add body to the soup without adding flavor or eggy texture) but I think the idea of a soup for breakfast is wonderful.  Melissa Joulwan has some fantastic soups in Well Fed 2, as does Michelle Tam in her new cookbook (Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans). 

Meredeth- It is so nice of you to help out, and your ideas sound really tasty, but I think you could do a little fine tuning with the four "staples" listed above (spinach egg muffins are good to go!). All of your meals during the whole30 should follow the meal template, which means they contain 1-2 palms-worth of protein, 1-2 thumbs of fat and 2-3 cups of vegetables. In three of these cases, you have no vegetables at all, and in three of them you aren't giving your body enough protein. Bacon, while compliant (assuming no sugar, etc.), is really more a fat source or a garnish/flavoring rather than a protein source....eating enough of it to get the protein you need would result in too much fat. Does this make sense?

Here are a couple ideas on how to modify:

smaller portion of the apples/coconut and pecans with coconut milk, a palm-sized pork chop a big pile of sauteed spinach

how about a hash where you shread the yam and sautee with other shreded vegetables (parsnips, carrot, zuchinni?) and ground beef. top with a fried egg. -or- you could do something like my recent vacation day breakfast: cubes of already-cooked yam, sauteed with baby kale/chard/spinach mix, topped with cherry tomatoes and served with a grass-fed beef burger which I topped with a fried egg, but a big spoon of guac would have worked too. yum.

sometimes it's easy to just grab and go, so sure, sausage links, maybe a small apple, plus cut up raw veggies (bell peppers, carrots, cherry tomatoes, sugar-snap peas) and/or cold cooked veggies (steamed broccoli, green beans), and some avocado or guacamole for fat. depending on the size of those links, 1 or 2 hard boiled eggs would be nice here as well but totally not required.

just like the first example, this could work as a small part of a meal but not the main star. How about a three-egg omlette with bacon and greens inside, with a small portion of this mix accompaning? If you are eggless, how about roasted vegetables (root veggies, brussels sprouts, etc.) with a couple chicken thighs?

This sounds like a lot of food, doesn't it? Here's the trick: if you find you can't eat the whole meal, prioritize the most nutient-dense components. So, finish your meat and veggies first and save the fruit and nuts for later if you can't get to it this time. 

EEK- coming back in to edit, since I realized the original poster doesn't want to include eggs!

Thanks so much for the feedback! Great "tweaks" for me to incorporate! Back to the template! :-) 

If your tummy is feeling a bit off too, peppermint tea and ginger tea can be very soothing :)

Greens cooked in duck fat with your favourite protein, add some sweet potato if you need some more carbs to start the day.

Fresh raspberries and blueberries are lovely with coconut butter, just make sure you have them in the template.

You can also make coconut yoghurt (compliant coconut + dairy free bacteria capsules), but don't let it push any goodies off your plate.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived