Antacid alternative

Hi All,

I'm 36 weeks pregnant and about to go from around 75% paleo to a Whole 30 on Jan 1.  The only thing I don't know how I'll live without is my Tums!  I've tried to do quite a bit of tweaking between carbs (in the way of veggies)/protein/fats but it doesn't seem to have much impact on whether I get heartburn or not.

Anyone have advice about what worked for them?  Is there even a Whole 30 approved antacid product?

Try Raw Apple Cider Vinegar. Its horrible to drink, but will knock out the heartburn for a long while. Or Aloe Vera Juice. (I believe that would be W30 approved since it is not juice juice, but a supplement) You only need an ounce or two of it and tastes much better than ACV.  I have gone back and forth between the two and tums when I'm at work. I'm glad you asked your question because I'm planning on a W30 in jan too and didn't think about cutting the tums!!

I TOTALLY will vouch for the apple cider vinegar!

The way I understand it goes like this. When you are pregnant your body naturally begins to produce less stomach acid (Or in my case I have always had low stomach acid) When you eat food, the stomach acid breaks down all the food in a timely manner and it passes onto your small intestine for absorption. When your stomach acid is low the food you eat is not digested as quickly. It actually sits in your stomach and starts to rot, producing gas (belching), indigestion, and regurgitation (reflux). Apple Cider vinegar is very acidic. So when you drink it you are increasing the acidity of your stomach contents which in turn will help you digest your food more efficiently. I use Bragg's Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar and you can get it at most grocery stores. Its a bit hard to go down so I take 2 tbs plain then immediately drink a glass of water. I try to do that at least 2-3 times a day. Also digestive enzymes have helped me tremendously. This is the brand I use http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/enzymedica-digest-gold-120-capsules/kt-1005#.UsXeu2jhCqQ. I am not 100% sure about compliance on W30 but when it gets really bad or I know it will get bad that's what I take. However the ingredients appear to be fine. I will also say this, the Whole 30 just in itself should help a lot with the heartburn also. When I was pregnant with my first I ate the SAD and had EPIC heartburn and it even continued it after i delivered. I took 75mg of Zantac twice a day every day for almost my entire pregnancy. Since going 100% Paleo and doing 2 whole30s my heartburn has completely disappeared and I am 19 weeks this time and have not had any either. Hope this helps and good luck!

Thank you both-I am definitely going to give it a try.  My midwife mentioned that and papaya pills-some sort of enzyme neutralizes stomach acid (hopefully!).

I've heard quite a lot of reasons why us preggers have worse heart burn.  One of the same enzyme we release to relax our joints also relaxes our esophageal valve which lets more stomach content than normal back up.  Two, and I can currently vouch for this one, there's a baby pushing our stomach into our esophagus!  Mine didn't start until, oh...maybe 32 weeks or so?  Just a couple weeks after my morning sickness ended. :wacko:

I used to suck on pickles for my heart burn when I was pregnant.  Nothing ever really helped though.  My second pregnancy I took prevacid or something like that and it knocked it out. It was one of the ones the doc said I could have. I can't remember exactly, but I was desperate and it worked. 

Good luck

Archived