Vote with your dollars

Vian

This article was posted on my facebook feed about how Monsanto uses 4-H to brainwash kids. It included this image that I found startling. Several brands that I've believed were wholesome and natural are listed on the left, such as Larabar, Naked, Burts Bees, Simply Orange, and Odwalla. I know I won't be buying Larabars anymore.

http://www.cornucopia.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/I-522.poster.1023.jpg

And the article it came from:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/12/31/monsanto-4-h-programs.aspx

The graphic is confusing. Under Larabar it says "general mills." So is it General Mills that contributed, or it is Larabar?

What a disappointment. I love and trust those brands! :( I wonder if that indicates they use GMOs in their products? 

Thanks for sharing...

Many small companies are owned by large corporations but still maintain their original standards.  I cannot speak to those specifically.  I think to eat  completely gmo free is going to be extremely difficult, as more and more of the seeds and products get crossed over and contaminated.  I say let's all continue to do the best we can, without becoming discouraged.  Sometimes I need to ignore those articles, as I find that it becomes overwhelming.

I'm happy to say that I have a great source of local grass fed beef, most local vegis - at least in the summer - and great local pastured eggs.  Having difficulty finding chickens that are affordable.  I won't mail order my food.  I'm thinking of giving up entirely on pork, as there's no local clean source for me.  Have friends providing wonderful venison.  

I try to remember that we don't need a huge variety, we need a variety of ways to cook and prepare.

So, yes, let's continue to talk with our money.  Maybe the tide will turn.  We're definitely swimming against it.

Keep in mind, sometimes organisations will purchase a competitor who is strong in an area they are weak, so if it becomes a big "thing", they're ready.

If you boycott one producer, spend those lost dollars with another producer, so there's a clear commercial demand for clean food :)

I found an article at my chiropractors about the products you want to avoid buying because they either use GMO ingredients or support GMOs. One of them is larabars. Others that I can remember are Naked Juice, Odwalla juice, Morningstar farms. I'll try and find the paper and post the rest of the products.

Thanks for this!!! I am always tempted to toss Larabars in my cart because they are easy and I love them. I usually resist because they  are SO over priced and I have been making my own for awhile.  Also, it's too easy to over eat a batch when they don't need to be unwrapped!

Now I won't even feel the temptation to put them in the cart.  If you have a food processor they are simple to make. Googling turns up 100s of receipe and they are easy to experiment with, too. 

Archived