Egg Foo Young

Vian

When I was a kid, this was the only thing I would order at a Chinese restaurant. I've since branched out a lot, but I still love this totally american-and-not-traditional-Chinese-at-all dish. I made this for breakfast this morning and it was delicious!

2-3 eggs

1/4 cup coconut aminos, divided

3 tsp. fish sauce, divided

1-2 cups whatever veggies you like (I used shredded napa cabbage, green onion, and mung bean sprouts)

1/4 c. bone broth

1 tsp. arrow root starch

I used a couple of my Pork Siu Mai Meatballs and broke them up into it as well, but plain pork or other meat or sausage would work as well, or just leave it out entirely and add an extra egg.

Put a little fat of choice into a 8" skillet and saute your veggies until tender, If using meat that is raw, cook it first, then add the veggies. Crack the eggs into a bowl and add 2 tbs. coconut aminos and 2 tsp. fish sauce, then whisk together with a fork. In another bowl, combine the bone broth, arrow root starch, and remaining 2 tbs. coconut aminos and 1 tsp. fish sauce. Once the meat is cooked and veggies are wilted, turn the heat to low and pour the egg mixture over the top. Cover the pan and let cook for a few minutes until the egg is set on the bottom and browned. Carefully flip with a spatula and let the omelette cook on the other side for a few minutes. Remove to a plate, then pour the arrowroot starch mixture into the pan. Allow the gravy to thicken for a minute or two, then pour over the omelette and enjoy!

• 5 weeks later...

Archived