Moringa

H.E.Laine

Can anyone comment on the use of Moringa Tree products (leaves, pods, etc.) as it pertains to the purpose of the Wh30? And beyond the Wh30, how useful is it, and has anyone ever tried it? Really any thoughts on Moringa would be helpful. Thanks!

It should be fine. Moringa is in the cabbage* family, so most uses would fall under vegetable. There are a few possible concerns - unknown O3:O6 ratios in the seeds/oil and possible alkaloid toxicity from the roots. However, the immature seed pods and leaves seem to be highly nutritious and the most commonly eaten. I would just eat those. I've never eaten moringa, but see the pods all the time in the frozen veg section at Indian markets. They seem quite popular. Must try next time I see some.

*This might (or might not) mean that people with thyroid problems that avoid cabbage etc could have a problem. On the other hand those problems are mostly with uncooked cabbage.

Sounds good. Glad to know you can buy the pods, that was my next question. I wasn't sure if I'd have to order them. I'll check out an Indian market and try them. What about those little packages such as Zija's "smart mix" that you mix into water? I haven't looked up close at these so i'm not sure if there are any added ingredients, but I was unsure how that type of nutrition intake (powder mixed into liquid) fit in with the philosophy behind right relationship to food expressed through the whole 30. Is it an issue to drink nutrients like this?

Zija's "smart mix" - Wow, another way for a company to take a real food, powder it, package it, market it and convince people that it's better to eat the heavily processed magical "superfood" stuff shipped half way round the world than to eat real food. IMO that's a no*, have some real food instead.

Water is good to drink. Tea, lemon water, coffee in moderate amounts.

*I'm not an expert on what is W30 approved. A moderator will probably hop in with that info. I just think this kind of product** is a huge scam. The way the company markets this stuff is a dead giveaway.

** I don't think the actual tree is a scam. The planting of moringa is being actively promoted in many tropical countries because it is a highly nutritious plant with a long life expectancy and multiple uses that does well in difficult climates. It's been found palatable to many people, so should be readily accepted. Is it better than spinach or kale or collards? Probably not, but they don't grow well in the tropics or stay put year to year. Would you drink spinach or kale or collards (super nutritious foods all) if dehydrated, powdered and sold in tiny shiny packets to mix in water?

Archived