with intention

missmary

Day 8: Jan 8

sleep: massage+natural calm before bed. slept like the dead  :)

meal#1 (preWO): HB egg, espresso

wo: hot vinyasa yoga

meal #2: palm of roast beef, red and yellow bell pepper strips, steamed broccoli, HB egg. coffee (black)

meal #3: cauli rice/chicken thigh/shrimp, etc. 

meal #4: 1/2 a GTs Kombucha (gingerade), balsamic beef shortribs (Practical Paleo), mashed cauliflower, sauteed mushrooms.

prep: made breakfasts for Thursday and Friday (steamed brocoli, sliced bell peppers, boiled eggs), pulled together a lamb curry to cook during the day tomorrow. Steamed the green beans to add to the curry at serving (hate over-cooked green beans).

Checked in with my parents on their first week of the 21DSD. They say they experienced "some discomfort"(?) but now are feeling good. They are planning their grocery list for week 2 and keeping on track. yay!

Massage went well, painful, but in a good way, I suppose. The therapist did some range-of-motion testing at the start and expressed some "disappointment" that I didn't seem to have any mobility issues, since Max and I both told him that's why I was there  :rolleyes: Everything is relative, I suppose? In the end, my neck/shoulder area was discovered to be quite tight, so he will focus on that and the posterior chain next week. Sometimes I forget how much of a blessing it is to be pain-free and fully mobile. This body is pretty great when it comes to that.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

REQUEST: On my way to my massage appointment last night, I made a quick run to the co-op for supplies, with a vague idea of curry in my head. Anyone have a recipe to suggest?

Here's what I got: 2 lamb leg steaks (to cut into cubes for stew meat, I'm thinking), butternut squash, mushrooms, cauliflower, carrots, green beans, power greens (baby kale, chard, etc.) mix. I have all manner of good fats, coconut milk, spices, curry pastes, onions/garlic/shallots, your standard coco amigos, fish sauce, vinegars, dried fruit, nuts, etc. (would not need to use ALL of this, obv.) Any ideas? bonus points for crock pot options  :)

lunch delayed due to 2 hour long conference call. reheated cauliflower/coconut/pineapple, etc. tastes like paste (and not delicious curry paste, either). over and out.

UPDATE: convo with co-worker in the kitchenette.

me: my leftovers tasted disgusting

her, looking at my empty bowl, laughing: yet somehow you persevered

me: what? I need to get my nutrition from somewhere!

(it had not occurred to me to even consider abandoning this food for one of dozens of off-plan, fast food, etc. options near the office. that stuff is kind of not food to me anymore. lol. dinner will be better :) )

We use the directions on the back of the Thai Kitchen Red Curry paste and dump coconut milk, curry paste, and fish sauce into a big pan.  I've learned to always get my broth the taste I want and then I throw in the veggies and meat and voila.  We love zucchini, mushrooms and broccoli in our curries, but that's also because those are the veggies we usually have on hand.  I bet there are some really good recipes out there, but we've never bothered to look.

I like your story about the interaction with the coworker.  I "get through" lots  of things now that I wouldn't have before.  It's a totally different way of looking and thinking about food.  Yay for us!

Day 9: Jan 9

sleep: natural calm before bed. slept well for the first part of the night, then lay awake for a couple hours, breathing slowly, trying to trick sleep tracker into thinking I was still asleep. sleep traker wasn't fooled.

wo: Strength Complex + Recovery (walking, sauna, hot tub)

meal #2: can of tuna (Wild Planet), red and yellow bell pepper strips, steamed broccoli, HB egg. coffee (black)

meal #3: balsamic beef shortribs (Practical Paleo), mashed cauliflower, sauteed mushrooms.

meal #4: 1/2 a GTs Kombucha (gingerade), lamb red curry with green beans, mushrooms, butternut squash, onion, carrot, red curry powder, coconut milk, fish sauce, HB egg. Thanks Ladies!

Day 9: Jan 9

sleep: natural calm before bed. slept well for the first part of the night, then lay awake for a couple hours, breathing slowly, trying to trick sleep tracker into thinking I was still asleep. sleep traker wasn't fooled.

:lol:

Not about the not being able to sleep. That is definitely not funny, I know way to well. But the trying to trick your tracker was pretty funny so LOL it is. :)

I was considering charging my zeo and using it again at least for a few weeks to see if I can get a better idea of what is going on with my sleep right now. 

Day 10: Jan 10

sleep: natural calm before bed. slept well except for that one time when the cat woke me up at 1am to let me know her water dish was perilously close to half empty.  :rolleyes:

wo: agility cardio/tumbling/sprints

meal #2: can of tuna (Wild Planet), red and yellow bell pepper strips, steamed broccoli, HB egg. Americano.

meal #3 (this will be LATE because I'm going to a monthly lunch meeting where no-one eats lunch. again: :rolleyes: ): lamb red curry with green beans, mushrooms, butternut squash, onion, carrot, red curry powder, coconut milk, fish sauce, HB egg.

meal #4: grocery shopping beforehand, so who knows? maybe: grass-fed beef burger, roasted sweet potatoes, guac and power greens? YES. all of these things. + GTs Kombucha (Trilogy)

sleep: natural calm before bed. slept well except for that one time when the cat woke me up at 1am to let me know her water dish was perilously close to half empty.  :rolleyes:

Yes, my cats are always kind enough to remind them that if they don't eat they will starve at the best times of the morning. Especially the tubby one. She is especially worried of starving.

I'm curious...what is your feeding program like for your paleo kitty? I've had a lot of problems with throw up and I tried those frozen raw pellets and they just turned their noses up at them. I was doing a grain free wet food but it wasn't staying down in at least one of my kitties. I'm doing a grain free dry food now that seems to be staying in their tummies and will at least not come back up in a big runny mess if they do throw up. I've read a lot about raw feeding and I like the idea but don't really know I have the freezer space for it and am slightly concerned what that clean up would be like if they puked. Suggestions and experiences? My older cat has always had a sensitive tummy so I don't suspect there is anything wrong with them.

I'm curious...what is your feeding program like for your paleo kitty?

Ha. Funny you should ask...I tried her on the raw food regime a while ago (last summer? or spring? I logged about it if you want to search...). Anywhoo, the raw food store people were a little militant and basically said any kibble is poison and you should only feed the raw food...when that was the only food I gave her, she did like it and eat it, but she was not down with the idea that there would be no back-up food available. We tried for a while but eventually she made her feelings known by pooping on the dining room table while I was at work. I am not joking. So then I started leaving dry food out (grain-free, high quality) and she would fill up on that and not eat the raw food at all. sigh. Eventually I got tired of the hassle and expense of the raw food considering she took a bite maybe every third time I put it out. Now I do a high quality grain free canned wet food in the morning and at night, and leave the dry food out all the time. Sometimes she turns her nose up at the wet food still, but I care less because it is just easier to manage. Maybe if I had started her as a kitten when she wasn't already paranoid about constant access to food supply it would have worked, but considering it took years after I adopted her before she was willing to eat without me standing next to her reassuring her that I would replenish the food supply when she was done. I feel like this is the best I can do for the moment.

Thanks for sharing. When it was just Cleo I left kibble out all the time. She is a very good self regulator and never really overate and only occasional would leave me dry tubes of undigested food too clean up. I switched to canned food shortly after I got River because she is a piggy hog and would just eat the food until it was gone. I've considered getting one of those auto feeders to try and regulate the food during the day. Maybe I will try just giving smaller portions of the wet food with the kibble and see if that results in less nasty puke to clean up. What brand do you buy?

the wet food is "Wellness" grain free. Although there are probably better ones out there? They happen to carry this one at my co-op and she likes it so we went with it.

I believe that is what I had been buying as well. I wish I knew what was actually triggering the throw up because I thought they were doing fine and then I had 2 episodes in a single day and after cleaning it up (and replacing my cell phone that fell victim) I've been gun shy to give them more.

Day 11: Jan 11

sleep: forgot to take natural calm. relatively decent sleep, although woke up (without an alarm) too early and sleep tracker didn't track for some reason.

meal#1: lamb red curry with green beans, mushrooms, butternut squash, onion, carrot, red curry powder, coconut milk, fish sauce. This is mostly veggies/sauce left now, so I poached a couple eggs in the mixture.  espresso

wo: Recovery. I'm scheduled for a full rest day, but I really want to do something. maybe corrective exercise? Also plan to break my new years resolution (no new workout clothes in January!) at the 50% off sale at the pro shop  :huh:  :ph34r:. Yes. Did corrective exercise and balance practice, sauna, hot tub and a new workout outfit...they are closing the store and pickings were getting kind of slim, but I found a couple cute things for super cheap.

meal #2: applegate beef hotdogs, sweet potato cubes, power greens, cherry tomatoes and guac.

meal #3: 1/2 Blackberry/Ginger Kombucha (my own), 1/2 sparkling water while making dinner; grassfed beef burger; cauliflower, cherry tomatoes, black olives and garlic, roasted in coconut oil. 

prep: Brewed sweet tea for kombucha.

Volunteered today in the baby room, with three under 6 months and the fourth, a super clingy toddler. exhausted, cramps (i swear I was just thinking this TOTM was a piece of cake until I went to the nursery. Maybe all those baby pheremones make my hormones flair up?). time for bath and bed.

Day 12: Jan 12

sleep: natural calm and epsom salt/essential oils bath. good long sleep (11hrs? with one wakeup around 1) confirmed by sleep tracker.  :)

meal#1:  HB egg eaten while pondering otherwise empty fridge. espresso

wo: Recovery: rest. fail. :P Hot Vinyasa Yoga.

meal #2: lamb sausage sauteed in ghee with power greens, mushrooms, sweet potato cubes, cherry tomatoes, 3 eggs.

meal #3: fennel/carrot/red onion salad with sardines, lemon juice, olive oil, capers

meal #4: 1/2 Kombucha (my own blackberry ginger)/1/2 sparkling water while making dinner, then: beef rogan josh with chard, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes.

prep: made beef rogan josh (grassfed beef* sauteed in coconut oil with onions, garlic, rogan josh seasoning the simmered in coconut milk); pork shumai meatballs (pork, egg, scallions, cilantro, fish sauce, garlic ginger, toasted sesame oil, coco amigos); hard boiled some eggs; chiffonade'd and blanched some swiss chard; sauteed mushrooms in ghee; set up a new batch of kombucha to 2nd ferment (blueberry); brined and baked chicken breasts for breakfasts. 

*co-op was out of lamb  :(

Day 13: Jan 13

sleep: natural calm and epsom salt/essential oils bath. lovely sleep, although 8.5hrs only this time. did not wake up a single time for any reason. 100% sleep for the first time in recorded (sleep tracker) history.

meal#1:  HB egg, espresso

wo: Strength Complex+Recovery (walking, sauna)

meal #2: chicken breast; red and yellow bell pepper strips, broccoli, HB egg

meal #3: fennel/carrot/red onion salad with mixed greens and sardines*, lemon juice, olive oil, capers

meal #4: 1/2 Kombucha (my own blackberry ginger)/1/2 sparkling water while making dinner, then: beef rogan josh with chard, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes.

prep: steamed broccoli, cut up bell peppers, assembled a bunch of breakfast containers, made a slaw for lunch tomorrow.

Why does this feel like it should be day 28 or something? Feeling really really good, like I've been doing this forever.  :)

*a little nervous about this one after comments on both shrimp and tuna last week, but oh well; co-workers (even boss) will have to cope. I already have a reputation for weird food so this should be nothing new.

Day 14: Jan 14

sleep: natural calm; lay awake at night and again in the morning, anxious about work stuff. finally just got out of bed around 4:30am.

wo: agility cardio/tumbling/sprints. NOPE. Didn't feel up to it, so just did my warmup, walked on the track for a while then sauna, hot tub. score one for listening to my body, Max would be proud. :) Recovery: massage tonight.

meal #2: roast beef; red and yellow bell pepper strips, broccoli, HB egg, banana, coffee (black)

meal #3: cabbage/carrot/bell pepper/cilantro/red onion salad with ume plum vinegar, olive oil, tiny bit of serrano pepper; pork shumai meatballs.

meal #4: 1/2 Kombucha (my own blackberry ginger)/1/2 sparkling water while making dinner, then: no idea. HOW AM I ALREADY OUT OF GROCERIES?!!! ha. I guess I was being just a teensy bit dramatic earlier. despite claims of no food in the house, pulled together: piece of grass-fed beef jerky; broccoil, red bell pepper, sweet potato cubes, chopped and sauteed in ghee, topped with three fried eggs, cherry tomatoes.

Clearly, such bliss can't last. feeling grumpy and anxious and stressed. plan for today: actually accomplish a few of the tasks circling around my brain instead of just stressing over them.  :wacko:

Day 15: Jan 15

sleep: natural calm; had a hard time falling asleep, and woke up early, but managed to sleep a little better in the middle.

wo: hot vinyasa yoga

meal #2: chicken breast; red and yellow bell pepper strips, broccoli, HB egg, coffee (black)

meal #3: cabbage/carrot/bell pepper/cilantro/red onion salad with ume plum vinegar, olive oil, tiny bit of serrano pepper; pork shumai meatballs.

meal #4: 1/2 Kombucha (my own blackberry ginger)/1/2 sparkling water while making dinner, then: ground lamb, cooked in coconut oil with onions, mushrooms, power greens; topped with cherry tomatoes; roasted sweet potato wedges on the side.

Doing a bit better than yesterday. Some stressful items complete, one other (big one) put off until 2015.  :rolleyes:  ANND then the massage. I'm struggling with this. It's painful and embarassing and brings up all this emotional crap. I was practically in tears when we were done last night--not because he was hurting me gratuitously or anything, this dude is a pro--just because of the overwhelming intimacy of it all, I guess. SO far I've been able to pretty much force myself to relax and breathe and we are getting good work done but it is hard for me. One more next week, then I think I will be happy to take a break.

I had pretty much the same thyroid results come back last week.  TPO very low so no Hashimoto's (THANK GOD), but TSH probably higher than it needs to be but still under 3.0.  CRP was also very, very low which shocked me and also gave me hope. T3/T4 are in the 25th and 30th %ile but that does mean I am converting T4 into T3 at a healthy rate so I don't have an extra issue there.  DHEAS is normal but a tad low.  I did not do well with that supplement 4 years ago so I'm not sure I will take it now.

I hesitate to take Armour for the TSH even though my MD has seen results with people whose numbers are within the range.  I am taking a bunch of adrenal support supplements, 5000 IU Vitamin D (tested low), daily vitamin and Pregnenelone first to see if I see any results in how I feel.

In addition, my saliva cortisol test was all wonky.  Cortisol too high in the wee hours which is probably why I am waking up at 3AM consistently.  Falls drastically in the morning and stays very low during the day which could be why I crash and why I have bradychardia/dizziness/uneasiness throughout the waking hours.  Lastly, it climbs a bit at night which is NEVER good and could be why my best hours of the day tend to be evening/night.   Unresolved stress is definitely part of my problem.  Stress produces cortisol.  I have a stressful life with a special needs child and a rocky marriage.  

So, not to hijack your posts but to maybe commiserate together and try to brain storm on what might work?

First, I would never sleep with my phone. I  get wanting tracking data but nope.  Take a supplement with L-Theanine, GABA or some other type of neural relaxer an hour before bedtime and TURN OFF electronics.  Go to bed at a reasonable hour each night and get up at the same time, too.  That is what was recommended to me.  Perhaps some aromatherapy?

Diet really plays a huge role here for me.  Sugars and grains really have to go away.  I know you are probably there already.

I wish you peace and calm and restful sleep!  

Archived