with intention

missmary

Day 28 (!): Jan 28

sleep: natural calm+epsom salt/essential oils bath. no magnesium oil. slept great until about 3am, then not so great but not terrible.

meal#1:  HB egg, espresso

wo: Agility Cardio/Tumbling/Sprints. recovery: 55minute infrared sauna tonight 

meal #2: roast turkey; red and yellow bell pepper strips, steamed broccoli, HB egg, coffee (black), banana. I'm going to have to start packing extra food on sprint day...

meal #3: ground lamb, onion, sweet potato, power greens cooked in coconut oil. cherry tomatoes. 

meal#4: baggie-full of raw almonds from co-worker.

meal #5: pineapple/coconut water kombucha. applegate hotdogs, bubbies pickle, cherry tomatoes, an egg. mayo, mustard (while rushing around before my sauna appointment)

meal #6: post sauna pineapple/cocont water kombucha. last of the hotdogs, HB egg, big spoon of guac.

Holy hungry day batman, but I don't think I would be able to sleep without this last bit of food so I'm having it. Tomorrow will be better.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 29: Jan 29

sleep: infrared sauna+natural calm before bed. really good sleep.

wo: Hot Vinyasa Yoga

meal #2: roast turkey; red and yellow bell pepper strips, steamed broccoli, HB egg, 2/3 decaf espresso

meal #3: my re-scheduled lunch out: bizarre "asian chicken salad" with no chicken (NONE*) just romaine, cut up bell peppers, carrots, minuscule cubes of sweet potato or squash with cinnamon on them, slivered almonds, dried cranberries. Ate that then ate about a third of the braised asian beef (w/mushrooms, carrots) back at the office.

meal #4: pomegranate/blackberry/ginger kombucha. HB egg and guac while preparing dinner then:"bolognese": grass-fed ground beef, carrot, onion, celery, mushrooms, coconut milk (could not find compliant bacon).

prep: boiling eggs, steaming broccoli, roasting sweet potato, cutting up bell peppers per usual. also put a pork shoulder (salt, garlic, etc) into the crock pot insert into the fridge to start cooking tomorrow morning.

Woman on the mat next to me in yoga this morning was getting in her own way something fierce--second guessing the teacher, modifying to make things harder during the warm-up sequence then too exhausted to do the harder sequences later, mumbling, struggling, cursing her failures. It was interesting to watch and reminded me of myself a few years ago. I am SO GLAD I've learned to accept where I am and go with the flow and trust...at least during yoga  :ph34r:

*we took this to go or I would have put up a fuss. who leaves the chicken off a chicken salad?  :blink:

Day 30: Jan 30

sleep: natural calm+magnesium oil spray before bed. brain would not stop thinking about work stuff. Woke up at 3am with a headache and again at 5am with a headache.

wo: worn out and TIRED this am. foam rolled, walked the track then sauna/hot tub.

meal #2: roast turkey; red and yellow bell pepper strips, steamed broccoli, roasted sweet potato cubes (pre-emptive strike against snacking/bananas), HB egg, espresso. ate a banana anyway.

meal #3: "bolognese": grass-fed ground beef, carrot, onion, celery, mushrooms, coconut milk while co-workers eat pizza. hoping for minimal commentary.

meal #4: pulled slow cooker pork over a slaw of red cabbage, carrot, bell peppers, serrano pepper, cilantro fish sauce, mayo

-didn't eat enough yesterday (should have eaten the whole portion of beef out of my back-up lunch). Not eating enough leads to headaches and low energy. This shouldn't surprise me in the slightest. hrmph. hopefully the sweet potato helps some. It blows me away how much I need to eat lately but I'm not afraid to break out the mayo if I have to! Maybe tonight.

Jan 31|Day 31

Woah! Whole 30 complete! Looking back at my first post this month I can see a lot has changed for the better. A big part of it was restarting my thyroid meds and dhea, I'll admit, but I think it is clear that sticking to the whole30 exactly makes me feel better, and perhaps I will be more motivated to do that more often as I ride my own bike this time around. To be clear: what I was doing between whole30s wasn't bad at all...just maybe one too many squares of Theo's chocolate  :)  and a few too many glasses of wine. I will have some wine. And some soy-lecithin-free chocolate moving forward, but maybe less than I was doing? I will be mindful.

My sleep quality has not improved 100%, but it is trending better, and I have reliable tools to make it better. I will keep working on this.

Weight will have to wait until I get to the gym a little later, but I'm feeling a bit leaner and the pants that were a little tight at the beginning of this whole30 are not anymore, so I guess weight-loss or no, this is progress. I think I'll check my waist/hip ratio as well.

Feeling good.

Goal for Feb: eat more of the good stuff. Imagine that? I notice a trend of not eating enough food, being hungry, needing to make up for it with the odd extra sweet potato here or banana there or mayo or whatever. I want to get to a point where I feel comfortable eating as much as I need more consistently. The month of recovery is over and Max and I start a new intensive exercise program on Saturday, so I think this should mesh pretty well. I'm gonna get real about my postWO nutrition, and add some more fat to breakfast afterwards (instead of this double duty low-fat breakfast idea I've been doing for the past year). As he told me the last time we met, I've turned myself into an athlete now, so I better start acting like one. Why work so hard if I'm not going to properly fuel and recover? silly. I can do better. Pull Up? I'm looking at you for Feburary.  ;)

EDIT: down 4lbs, now 2lbs above my lowest whole30 weight (what I weighed when I was tumbling two nights a week on top of workouts every morning...and bike commuting...and having trouble eating dinner...). Waist hip ratio is worse, not better, but I'm pretty sure I've been gaining muscle in my abs lately (esp transverse), so maybe this isn't such a big deal?* Workout this morning was awesome. balance practice is really fun and I feel SO STRONG, so I'm kind of not inclined to stress over either one of these numbers. life is good.

*2nd EDIT: Wasn't buying this waist measurement, so I tried again this morning. It looks like I must have measured a different spot (or I was really bloated or something?) because now I'm down 1" from my lowest measurement ever. 

Archived