A Whole 30 is only the first step

Nancy C

Tomorrow is day one of my second shot at a Whole 30. My goal is to physically disconnect from sugar and wheat so that's what I'll be focusing on mainly. But I'll use this log to journal whatever happens to be come up. Food is such an amazing mirror. It reveals so much about myself and about other people in my life too.

I've been slowly cleaning the pantry and fridge by using up the "bad" foods and not replacing them. I've also been cooking Whole 30-style and putting together a least one Whole 30 meal at day to learn how to cook them. For instance, breakfast today was steak, 2 fried eggs, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes and spinach cooked in ghee, coffee with coconut milk and no sweetner. Really yummy and it feels good too!

Looking forward to the adventure starting tomorrow.

Get it! Your idea of doing a whole30 meal per day to prepare for the real deal is a great one, and I'm totally going to suggest it to people who are thinking of a whole30 but are intimidated by the drastic change.

You're going to be great--best of luck!

This is a great idea! I am on my 3rd Whole30 (day 2) and the first and 3rd time, I did a bit of prep work so the "hangover" isn't so bad. I cut out all sugar the week before my 3rd Whole30 (I'm already gluten free) and before my first Whole30 last January, I was already doing paleo for a solid month before so it was easy to transition. However, my 2nd W30 in August, I did no such prep work and it really was super tough in the first 2 weeks! I'm on day 2 and so far, I'm feeling great! Keep up the good work!

Thanks so much for the good wishes. I too cut sugar early...about 5 days ago...so I've gone through the itchy detox from sugar. Grains aren't as big a problem and I don't eat much dairy (yogurt and cheese only).

Day one has gone well. Some hunger which is to be expected so I added a couple of small snacks.

Breakfast: Casserole made of eggs, sweet potato, mushrooms, spinach and green peppers; tomato wedges; 1/2 avocado, 2 cups of coffee with 1 T. full fat coconut milk per cup.

Morning snack: Cup of bone broth and a banana

Lunch: Leftover duck; zucchini, tomato wedges, 1/2 avocodo

Late afternoon snack: One apple (peeled and sliced) cooked in the crockpot with spices and a bit of ghee topped with a few walnuts

Dinner: Turkey breast; sweet potato; zucchini with ghee

Day two in the bag. The only problem was an urge to eat in the afternoon but that's just a habit worming it's way in my brain. I'm so used to being able to eat whatever I want whenever I want it that my brain fires off those messages at the least little sign of hunger.

Breakfast: Egg and veggie casserole, tomato wedges, avocado, coffee w/ full fat coconut milk

Morning snack: Cup of bone broth and a banana

Lunch: Chicken breast, butternut squash, yellow squash, avocado

Afternoon snack: Apple

Dinner (at a restaurant): Chopped sirloin steak, scrambled eggs, tomatoes, cantaloupe. The problem here is there is no fat and I definitely felt it later in the evening. Solution for next time is to bring my own fat source, maybe a hand ful of nuts or some avocado/guacamole. We eat out every Friday so I'll eventually figure this one out.

Finished day three yesterday. Saturday is grocery shopping day so I do alot of running around town. I hadn't been exercising the last two weeks (holidays and bad bad weather) so I decided I would shake the rust off with a yin yoga class and a short session on the bike. I made sure I had a meal beforehand and things went pretty well. I started to get fatigued at the end of the bike session but that's to be expected since I'm a bit detrained. However by dinner time I was famished and spacy. Felt better after dinner but crashed on the couch afterwards and slept through the football game. I'm definitely need to make sure I get enough starchy carbs on workout days.

Breakfast: Egg and sweet potato casserole, tomato wedges, avocado, coffee with full fat coconut milk

Lunch (before gym): 2 hardboiled eggs, baby carrots, 2 apples cooked in the crockpot with cinnamon and ghee topped with walnuts

Afternoon snack: bone broth, banana, small amt of macadamia nuts

Dinner: steak, sweet potato, asparagus, garlic ghee

I wonder if you need to increase your veggies to 3 cups a meal to avoid feeling famished? If you are still hungry for an afternoon snack (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini-meal that includes a protein and fat.

I wonder if you need to increase your veggies to 3 cups a meal to avoid feeling famished? If you are still hungry for an afternoon snack (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini-meal that includes a protein and fat.

Yeah, on the days I go to the gym I'll need to up the veggies. Typically I do 2 cups of fibrous and 1/2 c. of starchy but if all I have is fibrous I should do 3 cups. Is bone broth not considered a protein source? I thought all that gelatin would qualify.

Yesterday was much better. The only exercise I got was shoveling snow. :)  The rest of the day was watching football and cooking.

Breakfast: Eggs, sweet peppers, cherry tomatoes, avocado

Morning snack (on a break from shoveling): Bone broth, banana, sm. amount of macadamia nuts

Lunch: Chicken breast, broccoli, sweet potato, Moroccan dipping sauce (from Well Fed)

Afternoon snack: Orange (yeah, I know!) :rolleyes:

Dinner: Lamb, carrots, green beans, guacamole

I wouldn't consider bone broth a sufficient source to fit the equivalent of 1-2 palms of protein on the meal template.

Ok, thanks. That's good to know. Then my options are to plan better snacks or eat more for the main meals so I don't need snacks.

Yesterday....cold as hell (-13 degrees) so no gym. No going out of the house in fact. Good thing I work out of the house! :)

Breakfast: Lamb, a fried egg, zucchini and mushrooms (about 2 c.), Moroccan dipping sauce

Snack: Bone broth, banana

Lunch: Hamburger soup (tomatoes, butternut squash, onions, green peppers), a big ole dill pickle and guacamole

Snack: Apple, small amt. of cashews

Dinner: Hamburgers, 1/2 sweet potato, cherry tomatoes and cucumber (about 2 c.), guacamole

Day six in the books! Yesterday I tried something a little different. I added my snacks into the main meals, so just 3 meals yesterday. It worked out well. I had a craving to eat something in the late afternoon and again about an hour after dinner but it passed. I'm shooting for 3 c. of veggies (combined between fibrous and starchy) at every meal.

Breakfast: Leftover hamburger patty, one fried egg, spinach, sweet peppers, cucumber, 2 c. coffee with full fat coconut milk, 1 T. guacamole, cup of bone broth and a banana

Lunch: Chicken breast, green beans, asparagus, 1/2 sweet potato, 2 T. Moroccan dipping sauce, apple

Dinner: 2 pork chops, butternut squash, broccoli, 2 T. Moroccan dipping sauce

One week down! Yay!!

I'm starting to have the same sleep issues that plagued me during my first attempt at a Whole 30. Getting up to go to the bathroom multiple times and then having trouble falling back asleep. I'll see if there's a pattern that can point me to a fix but I suspect it's what happens to me when I low carb it.

Anyway, meals for yesterday...

Breakfast: Egg casserole with homemade pork sausage as the base with spinach and mushrooms on top, added a big dill pickle for more veggie, a banana and 2 c. coffee with full fat coconut milk

Lunch: Hamburger soup (has butternut squash, onion, carrot and tomato in it), 1/2 sweet potato, cherry tomatoes, guacamole

Dinner: Turkey veggie soup topped with 1 T. ghee (carrot, celery, onion, spagetti squash for "noodles" and homemade bone broth), apples with cinnamon in the crockpot.

Too busy to post yesterday. Everything is going fine with my Whole30. I'm back to the gym doing weight training again after a long three week break. My trainer gave me a lighter program since I'm not eating as many carbs as I was before I started the Whole30. I had my egg and sausage casserole with a side of sweet potato (there's veggies in the casserole) before I left for the gym. I go very early in the morning around 5 am. I had plenty of energy to train and felt fine all day. However, I crashed hard in the evening. Probably a combination of the training and not sleeping well the night before. I sure slept well last night.

I'm not going to post my food any more since it's really hard to remember what I'm eating. I'm totally in the groove with the food plan and typically will make a meal out of any combination of veggies that strikes my fancy. I've been keeping about 5 or 6 different kinds ready for cooking at any time, along with a couple of protein sources and fat sources. I really mix it up and every meal is tasty.

I'm getting really bad with posting but since I'm back in the gym every morning time has been short. I guess I'd trade the gym for a forum post any day. :)

Things went really well this week. I think I had one bad sleep day due to waking up early with hunger. Other than that, I feel very comfortable with my intake levels. Not too much, not too little. I didn't cut the bananas but will this week. I seem to not want fruit all that much anymore so something must be working.

I'm going out of town this weekend so I have a new challenge to overcome. How to pack the right amount of food for the trip. I don't expect my hosts to supply the right kind of food for me, so I'll pack a cooler. Coconut milk, olive oil, ghee, lots of veggies, sweet potato, my egg back for breakfast, some guacamole (man, do I love that stuff). I'm excited I've made it this far. This round is going so much better than the last.

Hello, hello. Not gone, not done. I'm doing fine and feeling good. One week to go.

And I'm thinking about what I'll do next. Besides a controlled reintroduction of foods, I'm not sure. Hopefully pretty minimal but I do want to get into a deficit so I can start dropping weight again. But slowly and without the lapses into binges. It's a fine line and a constant struggle. My goal this year is to get better at managing the struggle.

Two more days, baby, two more days.

Been thinking about what comes next. A re-introduction process for sure but will I do it exactly as recommended? Not sure. And although my cravings have been minimal to non-existent, I still wonder if I'll be tempted when more foods are available. We're having a Super Bowl party on Sunday. I'm planning to have plenty of Whole30 compliant food available but I'm afraid I'll be tempted to eat the non-compliant sugary foods that other people bring. I think I need to place a moratorium on any re-introduction until Monday just to be safe.

Well, I did it! Made it through all 30 days. On the whole I'll say it was a good experience and well worth the effort. I feel great and I sleep well. The only weight I lost was the initial bloat from going low carb but I'm going to use the amount of calories I eat as my mainitenance level. And, no, I didn't track over the 30 days. I'll do a few days of tracking now to baseline maintenance and then figure out the deficit I can handle. I'm going to try to retain as many of the good habits I learn as I can but now I know I always have the Whole30 to fall back on if I need a tune up.

Archived