PWO protein shake alternative?

opt-out

I always get nauseated at the gym if I eat before a workout (Cross-fit).  I have found that if I have a protein shake about an hour before the gym I'm like an animal during my WO and I don't feel sick.  Any ideas on what would be W30 compliant that isn't solid food?  I have gotten sick from eating a HB egg two hours before a workout.  Thanks.

pre-WO nutrition is not nearly as important as post-WO nutrition. If your workout is not first thing in the morning, I might try just upping portions at the last meal you have beforehand, or maybe all day and see how you do.

If you MUST have something before and the HB egg doesn't work for you, you could try a spoon or two of coconut butter (coconut oil would work too, but coconut butter is tastier). I've also had good luck with nut butter, but some people find it gives them stomach upset.

I guess I should b a little clearer.  I wake up and usually have a protein shake and feed my 2 y/o breakfast.  Then we go to the gym and I get home and eat a real meal at 11.  Then I eat "lunch" at 2-3pm and a protein/veg snack size portion for dinner around 5-6.  It's hard to work out and not eat anything before 11am, but that is how my life is.  The protein shake works great.  I am hoping for some easy to digest pre-wo meals.  Anyone have any ideas?

Soup! Your a genius! I'm not opposed to dinner for breakfast.

I've tried all sorts of solid things..nuts, berries, an apple, eggs, meat, veggies, fat bombs, bacon, liver, coffee, bulletproof coffee, at one time oatmeal. It all makes me sick. Then I worked out in a fasted state but always felt dizzy, tired and unable to push at the gym. Then someone suggested just one cup of protien shake and that has worked like a charm.

Tomorrow I try soup!!!

Hi triharder84.  You will find tons of info if you google those things.  But a fat bomb is a high fat snack (for high fat, low carb diets), usually butter, coconut oil, nuts, almond butter all melted together and frozen.  Then bulletproof coffee is a high fat coffee invented by Dave Aspry of Bulletproof exec.  Its coffee blended in a high speed blender with butter and MTC or coconut oil.  Yum Yum!

Have you tried a green smoothie? You don't really need to have a high protein meal before a workout, only after.

I was just on the Whole9 forum, and egg white powder is an approved protein source. You could add this to the above smoothie and have an awesome whole food protein shake!

sciencemonster: sorry, but smoothies aren't really a recommended food during a whole30 (ok with a meal, but not recommended). Usually these--even the green ones--are packed with way too much fruit. Since the pre-workout food recommendation is to have protein and fat, but no carbs, this won't do at all for a pre-WO meal. 

Opt-out - Sounds like solids are more of the problem, go soup! I like some soups cold. Lots of curry soups are lovely cold. If you also have trouble with coffee and workouts, there's a cold brew method I saw which seems to be good for those who have workout stomach problems with coffee. You can drink it warm, but it's brewed cold, or have it as iced coffee.

Triharder - Fat bombs and bulletproof coffee are ways to increase your fat consumption without additional protein or carbs, beware many online recipes contain non-Whole30 ingredients. 

Bulletproof coffee is quite funny, because aside from the fat portion, it's a way to get a creamy latte-style coffee, without any dairy. While the original is made with butter, I make mine with coconut oil (don't have any MCT oil yet). You make it with an immersion blender, it emulsifies and goes all "fluffy". If you hate black coffee, it's awesome. Some people do it with ghee, I hate it with ghee :P tastes weird, but that might be the ghee I have.

Fat bombs can really be made out of anything with fat, you could make them out of duck fat if you wanted, but I think they'd taste weird. Lots are made with coconut oil and refridgerated until solid. I'd avoid the fat bombs on a Whole30, just stick to the template. Bulletproof coffee with coconut oil though, you can include into a template, I like it for breakfast as a lot of my breakfast meals aren't high enough in fat for the template, but with the cofffee and coconut oil, I'm good to go :)

I have actually thought of green smoothie for a pre-WO meal….without all the fruit.  I was a raw vegan for a year and a half and during that time I ate many a green smoothie.  Anyhow, I am used to doing them without any fruit.  My fav is cucumber, cilantro, celery.  Anyhow, I didn't think it would have enough protein for a pre-wo.  Adding egg white powder just sounds nasty.  

A cold curry might just work out nicely.  I have limited time in the morning so a glass of cold soup would be ideal.  I'm making some broth in the crockpot right now, so tomorrow….curry soup making day!  I hope this works.  I really enjoy cross-fit, and I am learning so much about myself with W30.  I want them both, just need to get this pre-wo meal thing figured out.

Archived