Ketogenic 2014

praxisproject

• 2 weeks later...

Had a good workout for the first time in ages... :D

400 leg squats - Lvl 4 - 30 minutes

Got Osso Bucco in the crockpot, did it a bit different this time, noting for outcome:

2 pieces of osso bucco

1 large tin of fire roasted organic tomatos

Organic chicken stock (store bought, made from bones)

2 celery sticks

6 small carrots (same size as celery)

1/2 cup of wine (not Whole30 - the only time I ever use wine in cooking now is this dish)

2 small onions

2 cloves of garlic

sprinkle of thyme

bay leaves

• 1 month later...

Still haven't done a wrap up post on the Keto approach, but the short version is it was worked until I got sick (which is pretty much how all weight loss has been going with me). The problem with this is I need something I can do for around 18 months and sick is going to have to be something I can be and not regain every single bit I've lost (no bad eating).

Updating over here now:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/17419-experiments-2014/

• 6 months later...

30 Days Ketogenic - Starting October 6th:

• Eight hours sleep a night (track when I don't make it)
  • Grain free
  • Soy free
  • Organic where I can
  • Less food jail - keep it simple
  • More fat (including more mayo!)
  • More organ meats
  • More bone broth

Notes on what I will be doing which is NOT Whole30 (Whole30 people, don't copy what I'm doing, this is not a Whole30).

1. Ketogenic will be fairly close to a Whole30, but I will have grassfed A2 butter (NZ) in addition to ghee. Not for everything, but I want the additional Vitamin K and I don't have any problems with butter. For the curious, I have done ketogenic eating in the past (and it worked very well), but never without dairy, grains or gluten. 2013 was a big year for me in improving my health and I feel ready to pursue weightless more directly and this is how I plan to do it. Ketogenic just means fat burning instead of sugar burning and for me that means fairly low carb levels, but, it may not be as low as what I did before, without the grains and dairy.
  2. I will be experimenting a little more with dairy this time around, as dairy is no longer making me sick. However if there's no benefit, skipping it :)
  3. Weighing daily - sudden jumps (inflammation or water weight) help me tweak my plan - it's not about the number and not a cause of stress, just a kind of monitoring.
  4. I will not be eliminating sugar completely (the only gluten free bacon I've found has sugar), but it will be kept to a minimum.
  5. Low volumes of fruit and high starch veggies
  6. Not always using the template - as I'm upping my fat intake higher than the template

• 2 weeks later...

Keto is sub-50 carb grams, yes?

Ketogenic diets are being tested for Parkinson's Disease. Parkinson’s disease results from the deterioration of dopamine-producing cells in the brain. The cause of this deterioration is not known. Early symptoms of Parkinson’s include shaking, rigid motions and moving slowly. Advanced symptoms can include difficulty walking, dementia, emotional problems and depression.

The drugs currently available to treat Parkinson’s disease lose their effectiveness over time and can cause undesirable side effects.

A small clinical study of seven volunteers with Parkinson’s agreed to maintain a ketogenic diet for one month. Five had improvement in their post-diet test scores. Although this study did not include a control group, it has brought attention to the potential role of ketogenic diet therapy in this disease.

Nutritionist Beth Zupec-Kania assisted an elderly man whose Parkinson’s disease had progressed and was no longer responding to medication. After two weeks on ketogenic therapy his wife reported “his night terrors and freezing have greatly abated”. Unfortunately, he found the diet too difficult and did not maintain it and his conditioned worsened.

Why would the ketogenic diet provide benefit in people with Parkinson’s? Scientist theorize possible ways that ketosis may be the answer. Ketone bodies may bypass the pathway in the brain that is disrupted and support other vital energy pathways. Ketone bodies been shown in animal studies to mend neurons. Ketogenic diets have also been shown to have an anti-inflammatory effect on the brain.

Ever since the ketogenic diet was established as a treatment for epilepsy, scientists have been delving deeper into its effect on the brain and how it may benefit other neurological conditions. The common denominator in these studies is the change in metabolism caused by ketosis.

Further research on ketogenic therapies is needed to advance this potentially beneficial therapy for Parkison’s disease.

• 2 weeks later...

Carbs really depend on the person, I've found as I get healthier, I stay in ketosis at a much higher number of carbs than I used to.

However this is also paleo food vs Atkins (the book, not the products), so considerably different approach.

My health is also far better now :D

If you're wanting to try it, I'd start at 50 whole carbs and go up 5 per week until you fall out of ketosis.

If you feel bad, add more carbs, don't worry too much about the ketosis, some people do very well just out of ketosis, but still low carb.

I count only whole carbs now (no removal of fibre) and generally avoid artificial sweeteners, dairy and grains. If I have dairy it's butter or cream and if grains, it's rice.

I've had a little dairy so far, but it's been very low in volume.

Archived