First Whole30+

June14

My name is Jessica. I have always had a hard time keeping weight off, and irregular cycles. When I graduated high school in 2003 my weight started to get out of control quickly. I weigh heavy, carry a lot of muscle, and my happiest weight was 150. I met my now husband when I was 18 and we quickly moved in together and got complacent. I was eating awful food to save money and because it was fun. I started getting horrible boils on my face and all over my body, my cycle stopped all together and I blew up like a balloon. Looking back it is hard to see how I did not realize what was happening to me, and what the cause was. I was too busy working and enjoying my freedom.

In 2009 I started working out with a personal trainer. I was horribley out of shape and 240 lbs. After a year of lifting and cardio my body had changed, but I plateaued at 25 lbs lost. It was so depressing, and I thought I was eating really healthily! I was diagnosed PCOS, which I already knew, but tests showed no insulin resistance. Doctor told me to keep trying to lose weight, following the same protocol. I got depressed and went to a plastic surgeon, desperate for a change. He sent me to a doctor friend of his who prescribed hCG shots. LIFE CHANGING. The weight fell off, and though my cycle never returned, we were blessed with an amazing son, born March 2011, concieved during my 2nd round of hCG, at 182 lbs. Of course as much as I tried not to, I gained weight, and unlike most, breast feeding did not help me lose, but seemed to help me retain weight. I tried another round of hCG after weaning him at a year and could not maintain it. I would get nautious when I tried to eat the same foods over and over. Any progress I did make I shortly thereafter would destroy.

So here I am, desperately wanting to add to my family, back in the 220's (I won't weight myself) and have been yoyoing for a year. I have been reading and trying everything and nothing has been maintainable until this. I did a two week trial of primal eating and was amazed by how much better I felt! I know the Whole30 (maybe more) will be amazing to help me get passed this. I am trying to forget that I have already gained and lost these first 30 lbs about 5 times, and just focus on being as healthy as possible.

I know this sounds stupid, but I have a friend who would like to get pregnant this summer, and we talked about how awesome it would be to have our next babies be really close in age. This is my main goal. I want to be healthy enough to maintain another healthy pregnancy by this summer.

I am very thankful for this program and the available support through this forum!

What I ate today-

Meal 1- 2 eggs with onion sauted in some coconut oil and smoked salmon.

I did NOT WANT TO EAT, and should have had something in mind to prepare, because I was totally blank.

Meal 2- Two cans of tuna, 2-3 tbs home made mayo, lots of onion, bell pepper, celery, and a little bit of apple.

Meal 3- Salad with lots of veggies, smoked salmon and carrots sauted in ghee with dill.

I wasn't on the cooking today for no good reason, but the salmon needed to be eaten anyway. For tomorrow I have a roast in the crock pot. Will probably eat on it for all three meals tomorrow. I don't know if that is a bad thing or not.

Kombucha is brewing. Can not wait to have some to kill my need to drink non-water!

• Moderators

What I ate today-

Meal 1- 2 eggs with onion sauted in some coconut oil and smoked salmon.

I did NOT WANT TO EAT, and should have had something in mind to prepare, because I was totally blank.

I like to make a casserole out of eggs, veggies, and meat to have for breakfast, something like this one, but using whatever meats and veggies you like -- cook it once (even the night before if that's easier than first thing in the morning) and you've got food for several days. I usually make mine, and wrap individual pieces in foil, so I can just throw the whole thing, foil and all, into the toaster oven when I get up, although it would probably taste okay cold too, or you could heat it in the microwave if you'd rather. It freezes well too, just put a serving in the fridge to thaw overnight so it's ready to go in the morning. I also try to make a breakfast salad like this one, but I use less fruit and more veggies -- zucchini and yellow squash work well in it, carrots, cucumber (peel it though, I didn't once and it was really bitter). I make enough for three to five days, more than that and it'll get kind of mushy and not be very appealing anymore.

I hope you get the results you're looking for this month. 

This will be my second batch of kombucha, as I kind of messed the first one up! I got my SCOBY from Amazon, and it came in looking just fine. Since I did not have any starter liquid, I used apple cider vinegar to add to the sweet tea, as some sugest, and it did give it a very appley flavor. I let it brewed too long, because I kind of forgot about it, and it was a bit strong. I drank a big glass and it didn't kill me, so I thought it was a success! It did not have as good a flavor as I had hoped and was very vinegary, so I decided to start over. Will let you know how this one turns out. I watched a lot of videos on Youtube of people making it so I would make sure and do it right. I think as long as everything is clean and you pay attention to your SCOBY's health you should be just fine!

Good luck June! You have a positive attitude that will certainly impact your success! I suggest trying your hand at meal planning - I use an excel spreadsheet, but whatever works for you! It will lessen the likelihood that you end up making something you do not want to eat.

If you eat something you think is unappealing, you're more likely to want more food later on (because you're full but not satisfied) which may even result in an off-plan food item!

If you get sick of the kombucha (it is a strong flavor) try iced herbal tea (or non-herbal if you want caffeine). Tazo Passion is my favorite - its bright pink and so pretty, and has a sweet hibiscus flavor. I brew it hot, and then pour over ice (no need to buy special "iced tea mix" just make really strong tea and water it down a bit with ice). I also love the Tazo lemon ginger green tea (again, iced). 

Thanks! I love teas, and really need to make some ahead of time. Every time I want some I don't have time to stop and make it. Kombucha gives you those bubbles, which is why I love it. I just don't want to buy $3 bottles of it!

Yesterday I ate my roast, which was delish, with lots of vegetables, baby kale and spinach, bell pepper and onions, dressed with some mustard and a little home made mayo.

I had it again for lunch, in a big way. I was having sugar cravings like crazy and day dreaming about chocolate, so I decided until I get passed the first few days, if I have to over eat a little at lunch, that's ok! So I ate past satiety, and enjoyed every bite, and it totally worked to get me past all the cravings.

I had tuna salad for dinner, which I am also about to have for breakfast. I had an omelet planned but the thought of it this morning makes me sick.

I am not a breakfast eater and hoping that I will start getting naturally hungry at some point for breakfast. My stomach was growling when I went to bed last night, so I thought I'd be famished. I want nothing to do with eating yet again. 

The biggest challenge for me is location. It is an hour to a good grocery store, and even then it is no Whole Foods. The closest is about 15 minutes but it is barely worth stopping at and way over priced, and forget about finding coconut milk or ghee! Right now I am having to finish up what is in the fridge so that it doesn't go bad, and I am not sure when I will make it back to town to get a good amount of groceries. It definitely won't be twice a week, as many say they have to go, so I will have to make do. I am a book keeper from home with a 2 year old, and preparing for an audit, I have a couple of horses I am training, and my house is a wreck, and I have some horse related competitions I am wanting to attend, so it just seems like the tasks are never ending. I am always playing catch up (not with my son, he is my first priority!) and it makes it hard to want to sit down and plan a meal or cook a bunch or try new things. The thing I can be extremely thankful for is free beef! We ranch so my freezer stays full.

I am definitely passed the 'eat right after waking' point but now I am thinking about cooking up some hamburger and veggies. Gotta quit wasting time and shove food in my face.

I have been reading a lot of people having brain fog and other symptoms. I am really surprised that I have not experienced this. When I did two weeks primal, I never hit that point, even though I know I went into ketosis for a few days. Not the goal of course, but I took it as a sign that I was doing things right and my body was switching over to fat burning. This time seems to be following suite. I am on day three, and I already feel a lot less bloated. My energy is already much steadier, the soreness in my stomach is much much less. I have been very cranky, but I that probably has more to do with the amount of things I am not getting accomplished right now. I should probably not be sitting at the computer reading Whole30 stories and info but I thought maybe I should just destress for a few hours. I am going out to ride in a little while, and I think I will feel a lot better after that. I have been trapped in the house for a couple of days!

Archived