First whole 30

lasmith6

Day 11: 3 eggs, 1.5 cups spinach, coffee with coconut cream

L: pork, roasted broccoli, carrots with coconut oil

D: light soup with pork, carrots

The pork was salty. I've had 1/2 gallon of water. Way too salty. Thank you mom. 

I DID finally feel good enough to exercise today (I'm a slacker, and was focusing just on diet since I felt horrid the first week).

I'm a combination of kill all things and wanting a diet coke so badly I can taste it. And I dreamed of veggie-potato chips. 

Day 13:

B: 2 boiled eggs, med sweet potato (about 1 cup or so), coffee with coconut milk

L: 1 bowl venison veggie soup, 1 apple, about 1 or so cups sweet potato with splash coconut milk, 100 calorie pack of plain almonds (IDK how many oz that would be)

D: 1 hamburger (prev 4 oz prior to cooking), handful of lettuce, 1/2 cup sweet potato, 1/4 avocado, 1/2 boiled egg, 1 cup chopped broccoli steamed, and (halfed) 4 oz baby bella mushrooms, 1 large bell pepper, 1 large onion seasoned and sauteed in olive oil

After all that dinner- still hungry. Drinking water in copious amounts. 

Thanks Chris! I WILL do 30. (That's for me, sometimes I doubt that I can).

Day 14:

B: 3 eggs with 1+ cup frozen spinach, thawed and pressed, coffee and coconut cream

L: 1 large bowl venison and veggie soup, small sweet potato, 200 cal pack of almonds, boiled egg, 

D: shell-less tacos- 1 lb venison cooked with 1 can tomatos, 1 pepper , 1 onion and spices (split between 2 adults and a toddler); 1/2 avocado, 1/4 sweet potato, 2 cups of california blend veggies (cauli, brocc, carrots) drizzled with olive oil, coffee with cream. 

B: 3 eggs with 1 cupish spinach in CO, coffee and coconut milk

L: can tuna, boiled egg, large handful each bell pepper and carrot sticks, 1/2 avocado, apple

I know its gonna be 8 hours before dinner. I *may* snack if I get super hungry/dizzy.

For dinner-

5oz hamburger (raw weight) pan cooked with mushrooms and onions, with a gravy made from pan drippings, homemade bone broth and teeny bit of guar gum. ~10 steamed baby carrots, ~1 cup canned green beans, rinsed, ~1.5 cups cauliflower mashed "potatoes" with garlic, coconut milk, and olive oil. 

I think I should have eaten slower, but never felt stuffed. 

Day 16 was not so great- compliant, but def NOT as structured on the template as I like. My toddler is not really feeling let mommy eat, so I know I'm eating too fast or not well like what happened today. We are also running low on food. I can't buy anymore until I get paid. I'm staying with my mom the next couple of days, and that will be challenging. Not in terms of staying compliant, but she's not as on-board with eating so much. 1 egg should be plenty for breakfast, and veggies for breakfast? We are also going to IKEA overnight, but I think I'll be ok, I contact the restaurant manager. I'm limited, but I can eat. 

Day 16: 

B: 3 eggs scrambled in coconut oil, 1/4 banana, coffee with coconut milk

L: 1 can of tuna, coffee with coconut milk (12pm)

S: (also know as the other half of my now cold lunch, 2pm) 1+ cups steamed carrots drizzled with coconut oil

D: flax crusted fish: 1 piece (~4oz raw) pollock fish, dipped in egg and rolled in flax seed and spices, 1/2 medium sweet potato, and a large amount (1/2 a small head) of roasted cabbage with olive oil. 

Day 17:
B: 1.5 eggs, 1/2 green pepper, 1/2 banana
L: can tuna, 2 slices baked cabbage with oil, 1/2 small potato, coffee w coconut milk x 2
D: 2 chicken thighs, 4 carrot sticks, handful cooked mushrooms, salad w nuts, oil and vinegar, pumpkin soup

Day 18:
B: 1/2 scrambled egg, 1/2 sausage link homemade, coffee w coconut milk, hot tea
L: veggie soup and plain salad from ikea (I was told compliant)
D: steak with veggie and nut salad, oil and vinegar, and mushroom soup

S: 1/2 Lara Bar blueberry 

Day 19:

B: 1 boiled egg, coffee with coconut cream, handful of leftover raw veggies

L: ikea veggie soup and plain salad

D: hamburger with peppers, onions, mushrooms made into a saucy stir fry with oil and coconut milk, over spaghetti squash, with green beans

S: boiled egg, 1/2 sweet potato, coffee with coco milk

Day 20:

B: 2 eggs scrambled in coco oil, coffee with coco milk

L: 1 cup bone chicken broth with 2 cloves garlic, tsp lemon juice; larabar blueberry

S: small closed handful freeze dried fruit, D: foil pack made with 6 oz hamburger, tsp coco oil, 1 lg carrot, 1/4 onion, spices; large green salad with homemade roasted garlic dressing, 1 cup steamed green beans

Day 21:

B: 1 egg with spinach, smoothie made with large unclosed handful mixed baby greens, frozen banana, coconut milk 1/4 c and water, cinnamon

I know and understand that smoothies are NOT rec'd, neither are Larabars, but I'm dealing with some medical issues and doing my best just to stay compliant and upright. Trust me, neither are even yummy. The smoothie is kinda gross with no honey, cocoa powder, or nut butter (how I used to make them). I'm doing my very best to get back to the template. I WILL do this. This will pass quickly.

don't let perfect be the enemy of the good, right? Just know that you may not only find more success but feel better if you can get closer to the template. What you list would not be enough food for me, and I'm not nursing or caring for young kids (that takes energy!) try to give yourself the nourishment you need.

Thanks for that insight. I feel so much better when near the template. I've having trouble eating and also having trouble with my blood sugar and iron. So the blended meals are an attempt to get some nutrition and keep blood sugar up. I need to eat lunch soon, we will see how that goes. If this lasts tomorrow, I will call practitioner. Its not a virus, something I've dealt with before.

Day 21: L: 1+ cups green beans with homemade dressing, carrot, 1-2oz (tiny portion) hamburger 

D- palm of roast beef, onions, 2 carrots, med sweet potato, large handful of broccoli with homemade dressing

Day 22: Game back on!

B: 2 eggs with 1 cup frozen spinach, coffee with coco milk

L: pack of salmon, 1+ cups green beans with homemade dressing, sm-med sweet potato, coffee with coco milk

D: naked fajitas, made with tons of sliced peppers and onions with tomatoes and roast beef, two open hand sized portions; 1 cup+ canned green beans

Day 23: 

B: 2 eggs with ~1 cup spinach scrambled in co, coffee with c milk

L: 1 egg with spinach (left from breakfast), 1/3 cup naked fajitas, coffee with c milk

D: 1/3 veggie stuffed "meat loaf" (ground venison, spinach, carrots, onions, spices), mashed sweet potato (c milk, cinnamon), applesauce

Day 24 (also known as payday, I also had a sore throat starting here)

B: 2 eggs, coffee with c milk

L: tuna pouch, 1 quart chicken broth (store bought, but compliant, just more sodium than I can for)

GROCERY SHOPPING

D: 6ozish big hamburger with 2 large handful sized steamed broccoli with olive oil, applesauce and blueberries (small teacup full)

Day 25: 

B: 2 eggs with spinach, coffee with c milk

L: soup made with onion, garlic, c oil, c milk, pumpkin, turkey bone broth, spices, and water, 2 bowls, and boiled egg (still struggling with a sore throat)

Day 25 D: veggie stuffed (mushrooms, garlic, onion, spinach) meatballs with herbed tomatoes, broccoli with evoo

Day 26:

B: 2 eggs scrambled in olive oil, coffee with coconut milk

L: chicken with veggie soup with bone broth, 2 bowls

D: chicken breast, salad w oil and vinegar, steamed carrots

Day 27 (sick day)

B: 2 eggs with spinach, scrambled in CO, coffee with coco milk

L: "penicillin soup" made with 2-3 cups broth, 3 cloves garlic, juice from 1/2 lemon, and red pepper; banana blended with spinach, 2 tbsp coco milk, and water, 2 leftover meatballs (solid food difficult today)

D: hamburger and veggie soup with tons of veggies

I drank over 1 gallon of liquid today, mostly lemon and ginger "tea"

Day 29, very painful to swallow still:

B: 2 eggs with spinach in CO, coffee with c milk

L: leftovers cauli, pork, and veggies in a mug with broth over it, blended banana and spinach with coconut milk and water, cinnamon, herbs

D: ginger pork and veggie soup (tons of veggies) with coconut milk, apple

Day 30, getting better:

B: 2 eggs scrambled in CO, coffee with c milk

L: mug of soup, blended banana, spinach, and water, cinnamon, herbs

D: shepherd's pie made with venison, green beans, tomatoes, and mashed cauliflower

Day 31: 2 eggs in olive oil, coffee black

Lesson learned: need fat to stay full :-(

Now what?? I did a whole 30. I lost 10 lbs. Other than the nasty cold, I feel great. 

Day 29, very painful to swallow still:

B: 2 eggs with spinach in CO, coffee with c milk

L: leftovers cauli, pork, and veggies in a mug with broth over it, blended banana and spinach with coconut milk and water, cinnamon, herbs

D: ginger pork and veggie soup (tons of veggies) with coconut milk, apple

Day 30, getting better:

B: 2 eggs scrambled in CO, coffee with c milk

L: mug of soup, blended banana, spinach, and water, cinnamon, herbs

D: shepherd's pie made with venison, green beans, tomatoes, and mashed cauliflower

Day 31: 2 eggs in olive oil, coffee black

Lesson learned: need fat to stay full :-(

Now what?? I did a whole 30. I lost 10 lbs. Other than the nasty cold, I feel great. 

Congrats on completing your Whole30 and your accomplishments!

The next step is to do a controlled reintroduction of any foods you want to eat again or are curious about. Here is a sample schedule: http://whole30.com/step-two-finished/

I wonder if it would work best to keep eating Whole30 until you feel better?  That way, if you have a reaction during reintros, you know it's not due to your cold?

In any case, I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks! I realized I needed to update; I've been offline for a while. As such, I was not compliant day 32, but plan to be from now on. 

Day 31: L: ginger pork and veggie soup, applesauce

D: flax crusted tilapia (2 pieces!),  2+ cups of mixed "california" vegetables (brocc, cauli, carrots)

Weight check: 175, down about 10lbs and 1/2-1 pant size. Not as much as I'd hoped, but definitely worth celebrating. 

I've discovered a few things on my whole30. The first of which how unbalanced I was sometimes eating. The template really helped put it in perspective. Another revelation was that I actually don't crave bad food (except diet coke, what the world) if I'm eating well. I didn't exercise like I should; I'm sure that plus adequate sleep would help my weight loss. I discovered that nuts are a problem for me- I eat too many and the mess with my stomach! I also think that sometimes I do not eat enough, particularly lunch at work, lending to snacking. 6-7 hours lunch-dinner really pushes it, especially if I nurse in between. I also decided that though I still obsess some, I like this way of eating. I LOVE to count calories, but it is hard with a toddler. This is so, much. easier. A huge revelation is that I need lots of healthy fat. I've always been a low fat and low carb dieter. I need fat for emotion regulation and appetite regulation. Day 31, I cut fat and was hungry and irritable. Even if it slows weight loss, I need fats. Avocado and coconut milk are my friend. 

I decided I'd experiment with eating out day 32. We haven't eaten at a restaurant in 4 months, and went to a local mexican place that was very accommodating. I got grilled chicken with tomatoes and onions (rec dish with my allergies and sensitivities), plain dairy free refried beans (for the toddler, not me) and tomatoed rice (for the toddler and me :-) ). Result: I felt bloated, tired, and had diarrhea within an hour. I'm also up a pound today. Not a win. So, whole 30 a little longer. I told DH that I would CONSIDER trying one new food once per week, but not legumes, grains, dairy or gluten (dairy and gluten true allergy, legumes cause diahrrea previously, and I'll play it safe with the rice experiment). 

Thanks for the well wishes. All better except for extremely painful sore throat. It has 3 more days, and I'm getting strep test. 

Day 32: B: 2 scrambled eggs in CO, coffee with co milk

L: mexican restaurant: chicken with onions and tomatoes, tomatoes rice, lettuce

D: soup with veggies and hamburger, energy salad: raw beets, carrots, cabbage, apples in a lemon/lime and evoo dressing. 

Day 33: (throat worse)

B: 2 small bowls of leftover soup, 1/2 avocado, coffee with co milk

Day 33: L: roast beef with carrots, onions and roasted brussel sprouts with evoo

D: homemade guacamole with raw veggies, small bowl of burger/veggie soup

Throughout the day, throat coat tea with lemon and honey- worked wonders! But, the sugar.....

I've decided to do another whole30. I think. 

Archived