Nifty tip! Storing/saving leftover canned coconut milk...

jillian

I don't use coconut milk that often - and when I do I never end up using the entire can. So this time around I froze the rest of the coconut milk in an ice cube tray - each cube was approximately 1/8 cup of coconut milk. Once frozen, I put all the coconut milk ice cubes into a tupperware and back into the freezer for future use. Yay!

This is awesome. Perhaps it comes from being male, but I am TERRIBLE at thinking of ways to maximize food storage and innovative ways to do new things with food. My meat and spinach is literally grouped into one GIANT container, which while great for easily making meals, leaves much to be desired as far as aesthetics and variety.

Do you have any recipes that might involve coconut milk ice cubes?

I grate fresh ginger, store it spread thin and flat in a bag then freeze. Just break off a chunk when needed! I also chop fresh herbs, put them in ice trays, top with water or evoo and freeze. Pop out and store in a bag for use whenever.

This is awesome. Perhaps it comes from being male, but I am TERRIBLE at thinking of ways to maximize food storage and innovative ways to do new things with food. My meat and spinach is literally grouped into one GIANT container, which while great for easily making meals, leaves much to be desired as far as aesthetics and variety.

Do you have any recipes that might involve coconut milk ice cubes?

This made me giggle! :) I am sure its not because you are male!

I bet coconut milk ice cubes would be great to make iced coffee! Or toss a few cubes into simmering tomato sauce to make it thick and creamy (serve over meat, veggies, cauliflower rice, etc). 

I grate fresh ginger, store it spread thin and flat in a bag then freeze. Just break off a chunk when needed! I also chop fresh herbs, put them in ice trays, top with water or evoo and freeze. Pop out and store in a bag for use whenever.

I actually have a hand-held zester, and I find it easier to freeze the ginger root whole, and then grate it as needed. It actually makes it easier to grate when frozen and you don't have to worry about it going bad. You can do the same with fresh galangal or tumeric.

I don't use coconut milk that often - and when I do I never end up using the entire can. So this time around I froze the rest of the coconut milk in an ice cube tray - each cube was approximately 1/8 cup of coconut milk. Once frozen, I put all the coconut milk ice cubes into a tupperware and back into the freezer for future use. Yay!

This is great! I just opened a can last night and I was wondering how I could save this, since it says you can only use 2-3 days after opening. Thanks for sharing!

I did that with Chicken Broth because I would waste a carton of it.  It finally hit me to put them in ice trays and freeze them.  I know many have done this but I finally had the aha! moment and felt great about not wasting good stuff!

Never thought about coconut milk and that is brilliant! 

Archived