Grilling poultry -- skin or no skin?

Carol

Hi All,

I have been reading ISWF but I am only up to Chapter 8 so please forgive me if this is something that has been detailed. I noticed on the grocery list for poultry -- best is pastured and organic, next is organic, next is store-bought, skin removed.

Is eating the skin of poultry a bad thing? I understand that fried chicken isn't the healthiest thing in the world. While I don't care for fried food, I do grill a fair amount of poultry (for example, duck breasts).

I typically add nothing other than spices/seasonings to the meat before it goes on the George Foreman, and the grill does a fine job off cooking without adding oil. I have some quail and pheasant waiting for me in the freezer so I'm just curious :)

Thanks for any help.

If you can't get good meat, when you get the not so good stuff, most of the bad stuff is held in the fat. So if you can't get grass fed beef, choose leaner cuts and trim fat off your regular store steak, same with chicken.

Ahhh...that makes sense! Thanks! :)

I have no problem with leaner cuts of steak...I actually prefer the leaner cuts. But I do like a good crispy roast duck...I think I need to find an organic duck farm pronto!

• 3 weeks later...

Grilling is always being tagged as a 'healthy lowfat way of preparing food' bc its supposed to take out the fat,so isnt that the case with chickenskin and duck too?though i never understood how it can be lowat if you coat it with oil first(i know its against sticking but i imagine the fat also is being absorbed into the meat/veggies instead of pulled out)

Archived