Quitting smoking aids

Mizkitty

So the hubby and I are attempting this challenge together. He's a smoker and he's quit before, but once he started school he picked it back up. Last time he quit he switched to dip and sugar-free candies/gum. This time however both of those options aren't available to him. Any ideas on stuff to help him with the cravings? Right now he's chewing on a cinnamon stick but he's not very happy about it. Thanks in advance!

Congratulations to both of you on your challenge.  If you read It Starts With Food, I believe they would recommend that your husband conquer his smoking first and foremost, so I would say that if he's being fairly compliant that he's fine (even if it means some gum on occasion) and once he's confident in his having quit smoking, he could do a formal Whole 30.  

I'd cut him some slack, and encourage him the best you can to keep moving forward. Just my humble opinion.

Buy him Alan Carr's Quit Smoking Now book (its on amazon for download for like $3). That book changed my life. I struggled with quitting for several weeks - agonizing and then cheating and then the guilt - it was awful. When I read the book, I really quit. Right then. No nicotene replacement products (which only prolong the pain and agony of quitting), without gaining weight, without being miserable. 

I agree with Applegirl - he's better off quitting first and doing the whole30 later. Smoking a cigarette impacts your blood sugar (http://whyquit.com/joel/joel_03_21_blood_sugar.html).This can make his sugar cravings especially bad when on the whole30. I did my whole30 about two months or so after quitting, and I noticed that I craved cigarettes slightly during the first two weeks (because I was craving the blood sugar spike and remembering that cigarettes did that extremely effectively). Just something to be aware of - it will be far more difficult for him to stop smoking AND start eating clean at the exact same time. 

well, that I understand. Being stubborn is good when quitting. In that case, get the alan carr book. Seriously!! http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/0615482155/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1388710222&sr=8-2&keywords=allen+carr+cd Kindle edition is like $7. 

Quitting smoking opened the door for me on health. Made me realize I could do anything, achieve anything. I never thought I could achieve the whole30 until I quit smoking. It was the MOST empowering thing I ever did. And I could not have done it without that book. It made the process empowering and not painful. 

well, that I understand. Being stubborn is good when quitting. In that case, get the alan carr book. Seriously!! http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/0615482155/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1388710222&sr=8-2&keywords=allen+carr+cd Kindle edition is like $7. 

Quitting smoking opened the door for me on health. Made me realize I could do anything, achieve anything. I never thought I could achieve the whole30 until I quit smoking. It was the MOST empowering thing I ever did. And I could not have done it without that book. It made the process empowering and not painful. 

x2.

It was odd for me to think that a book got me to quit smoking, but then again, ISWF got me rolling on a few things also. After reading Carr's book, I quit smoking about seven years ago. 

My mom ended up quitting because of a heart attack--she had smoked since she was 11--and was up to 3 packs a day and she had her heart attack at 40. Anyway, the dr said that she couldn't smoke again unless she wanted to be back in the ICU--so talk about quitting cold turkey. She went through a lot of things--including eating TONS of shell on peanuts--but what ended up working for her was hand crafts--counted cross stitch and sewing were her top ones. Would picking up a new hobby work? What about knitting? keeping both hands busy might help and knitting was a man's hobby way back when on the sailing ships! 

Archived