Toast to the New Year

Emma

We are beginning Whole30 today for the third time.  Our first time we did it with integrity.  Our second time had some cheating.  This time we hope to do it right.  Regardless of our cheating and off road ways, our life has definitely changed for the better.  That first Whole30 was rough and all we did was plan food, buy food and cook food.  Since then, we've figured it out and eat decently when we're at home - until the holidays.

Over the holidays we indulged.  It started with some Snickerdoodle cookies that seemed to just seduce you into needing another and another and another.  I spent most of the holidays realizing I was very bloated.  The pants that fit me at Thanksgiving stopped fitting.  We had bread stuffings and more cookies.  We had chocolates and beer and egg nog.  We cooked well at home and I think that's what kept our bodies from falling apart and getting super sick when viruses went around town, but we also went out to eat.

Yesterday was our worst day.  We ate at restaurants for breakfast and dinner and in between ate lots of cookies and then topped it all off with alcohol.  I do think we were mentally preparing for this Whole30 and also for saying a "forever good-bye" to our old ways of eating.  The new ways have definitely been incorporated into our lives and now we need to make it more consistent.  

I weighed myself yesterday - woooey - I'm 17 pounds over a healthy BMI.  Just a couple months ago, I was only 3 pounds over.  I measured myself as well, but I can tell that my clothes are more snug.  It will be nice to be 30 days from now and feeling a bit leaner.

And as for today?  We all had a good breakfast of veggies and eggs, but I find myself just plain old "Wanting" something.  I certainly don't have a hankering for steamed fish and broccoli so I know it's a "wanting" in my brain and not in my body.  Oh, this first week is never easy.  Nor the second.  But after that, it is SO worth it.

My goals for this month:

1.  Whole30 with integrity

2.  Try out new recipes

3.  Meditate for at least 5 minutes every day

4.  Exercise in some form or fashion every day even if it's just a 60 second plank

5.  Be mindful of preparing my body for more rigorous exercise next month so I don't re-injure past injuries

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I did that 60 second plank yesterday right before bed.  Considering I was shaking at 30 seconds and thinking I'd cut it short and I STUCK with it the full 60 seconds, I feel a bit proud of myself for sticking with the plan.  (And mildly embarrassed and humbled by my out of shapeness)

First day went well enough.

Meal One: Duck eggs with broccoli for me, Duck eggs with mushrooms for son, Duck eggs with sweet potatoes for daughter

Meal Two: Spaghetti squash with ground beef, onions and the Belly Dance Beet Salad from WF2.

Meal Three: Two heads of cauliflower mashed, one pound of pork turned into meatballs - nothing left.

The kids are taking a bit of finesse.  They required mustard and kimchi to eat their mashed cauliflower.  They were told that if they finished their lunch then they could have a few apple slices with a spoon of almond butter.  It worked.  They are trying to establish their own autonomy within this world and have gotten much pickier, but it makes me feel hopeful that things will improve.  If they're willing to suffer through beet salad for a spoon of almond butter, then they're not as discriminating as they really claim to be.

What I'm not looking forward to is the breakdowns that will occur this week.  I remember how my girl Fell Apart on our first Whole30 and this morning I've already seen a few touches of that.  She's got a runny nose and literally charged at her older brother and knocked him down because his imagination play was different than hers.  I am going to channel grace and good will for myself as I try to make this a positive week for the family.  (And now they are playing happily). 

What I am looking forward to is how much more centered they will be in a couple weeks and the lack of whining about being hungry (which really just means wanting to snack on sugary things).

Last night I was up for my typical two hours from 3-5.  It's like I need an awake nap in the middle of the night.  I'm looking forward to getting through the night without my kids waking me up or my bladder waking me up.  I'm also looking forward to finally kicking this cold which keeps hanging on.  I'm also looking forward to my shorts sliding on over my hips instead of sticking a bit.

Did I share my new plan?   My new plan is to DRESS in my running shorts and sports bra when I get up in the morning.  It may be below freezing outside, but those jeans and pj's were getting me nowhere.  At least in the shorts and sports bra, I feel more "in the exercise mode" instead of the snuggling in mode.  We'll see if this plan pans out.  ;)

I stuck to my goals yesterday and meditated for Day 2.  The first day I did a 5 minute mindful breathing meditation.  Yesterday I did 20 minutes.  It was a guided mindful breathing thing off the internet which was helpful.  Helpful because the voice kept waking me back up! :)

I don't feel any better afterwards and I resent the time it takes, but I firmly believe it is really helping my body re-set at a deeper level.  No other point in the day do I really sit and BE in the way I do during these times.  I'm hoping to stick with it for the full month

I have no idea what we are going to eat today.  I figure I have two hours to work before I need to begin the hour of prep for lunch.  We picked up a Red Kuri squash at the store so that may be a substantial part of lunch.  Our kids are into it thankfully (or at least they were).  And dinner....aye aye aye....we need to make a menu plan!

I like your goals for this W30!  I also like the idea of dressing in your workout clothes.  On days I'm working out, I always put on my workout clothes, before I have a chance to talk myself out of it.  I don't think I've ever skipped a workout once I'm in the clothes.

I just want to EAT!  I'm not hungry.  The pains in my stomach are from the sit ups I did two days ago.  But I still want to EAT.  I found two cookies on our counter.  I threw them away.  There is still an hour till lunch.  It will be nice when this first week is over.  I'm realizing just how much snacking I was doing - often on good things like carrots or almonds or apples or cookies....the snacking often doesn't lead to good things.

So amazing that you have your family along for the ride.

Just wanted to stop by and say...I aborted my Whole 30 and will be creeping back to the Post Whole 30 log. I'm in the middle of a big political project that's pretty all consuming and I think overly restrictive eating isn't a good fit for me right now, mentally. I was prodded yesterday to think about moderation as a greater challenge than an "all or nothing" approach, which I've been mulling over for the last 24 hours and feeling more and more inclined to agree with. But I'm planning to eat mostly Whole 30 for the next two months and to keep stopping by to cheer you on.

So cool that you are trying the meditation out. I meditated this morning and even when it feels ridiculous ("thinking, thinking, thinking...") I experience such a huge difference throughout the day in the way I'm able to approach things. I hope it brings you equal or greater benefits.

Ciao and rock on, Emma!

Oh Selene, I'm gonna miss you here, but I understand completely.  The entire moderation thing is really the key to it all.  Just today I realized with a huge gasp that I can't have my honey with my Apple Cider Vinegar tea.  Eeegadz - no honey!  It actually wasn't as bad as I expected and was really just fine, but in the moment I realized that honey was out, I was a bit immobilized.   And then I realized that we have a kids' birthday party to go to this weekend - THIS weekend.  Ugh!  I can make some paleo cupcakes for my own kids, but can I actually go without eating any myself????  Well, of course I CAN, but do I want to???  And then I realize my dang darn goals which started with, "Do Whole30 with integrity" and realize I'm not gonna be able to eat those baked goods dang it.

So, I get it.  If my plate was super full, there's no way I'd do Whole30 right now.  It takes too much time to prep and mental effort to stay focused and dedicated.  I mean, it doesn't take THAT much, but enough to make it not a fun process if you're also juggling big things in your life.

Today was my Day2 and I have to say, it was not so fun.  I was grumpy as all get out in the afternoon and snapped at my children.  I had this big thought that I thought I should post in capital letters: "Never start Whole30 the same week as your children!".  One of my goals today had been to parent with grace - ha!  I was not graceful at all and thankfully my kids were really pretty good because if they'd been rotten, I don't think my flailing parenting skills and lack of patience would have gotten us anywhere productive.

I did take a good walk outside tonight and I enjoyed that.  I miss being out at night.  We also had three very filling meals and tried out a couple new recipes.  I still haven't done my meditation for the day, but I'm committed to five minutes once my kids are asleep.  I also plan to do eight minutes of abs.  I can do it.  I will do it.  I will do it because when I take care of myself then I don't feel resentful or tired - I feel good.

M1 - Duck eggs with different vegetables (each person is choosing different veggies - this is gonna have to change)

M2 - Burger with Casablanca carrots (WF2) and Red Kuri squash with Garam Masala

M3 - Spaghetti Bolognese (Spaghetti squash cooked with burger, tomato sauce, coconut milk and mushrooms) and some Balsamic Vinegar marinated butternut squash

Snack: Hard boiled egg and a bit of sweet potato 

Variation for kids: Banana with breakfast and banana with snack - also a spoon of almond butter and 1/4 of an apple at lunch

Emma,

Your meals sound wonderful. An yay for taking the kids along on this journey!! My daughter started college this fall and the food is abyssmal. Even she thinks so - which must mean it's bad. One day they had corn, mashed potatoes, and fried okra as the vegetable choices. What?!?!? We continue to talk about what she can do. Anyway, I wish I had done this years ago when she was younger.

I'm going to try the daily meditation and possibly the daily plank.

Happy eating!!!

And then I realized that we have a kids' birthday party to go to this weekend - THIS weekend.  Ugh!  I can make some paleo cupcakes for my own kids, but can I actually go without eating any myself????  Well, of course I CAN, but do I want to??? 

In case you don't know the answer to both those questions is yes. ;)

You're doing great mamma! Hang in there!

Laughing - This morning I'm not so sure I like that answer!  I decided on the chocolate cupcake recipe with chocolate coconut frosting - they'll be good.  The kids are on board.  Argh!  I guess I'll make sure to eat a very full lunch tomorrow and bring a snack.

My kids are crazy on board.  They are at the perfect age to think that we are very cool and very knowledgable.  It's nice.  Too bad they'll outgrow this.

For the birthday party, my three year old lit up and said, "We can bring CASHEWS!"  She was so proud of herself for knowing healthy foods (and ones we don't keep on hand in the house).  My four year old and I chimed in with so more things to add: raisins, almonds, seaweed and hardboiled eggs.  Really!  It's a bit ridiculous.  But I'm super thankful they are on board for Whole30 because tomorrow at the kids' birthday party where there will be candy, pizza, ice cream and chips, my kids may just actually be content choosing the foods we bring.  I'm not quite sure why, but I'm not rocking that boat.

And maybe it's because they know they feel better.  Certainly we talk about it often enough and why we are trying to eat this way.  My asthma is a thousand times better.  My daughter's eczema is better.  We all feel better even if we all seem to have a bit of a cold.

Last night and this morning I took the dog for a walk which I haven't done in a while.  I realized that even though I'm wanting to eat and feeling crabby and feeling listless, I also feel better somewhere in my body.  It could be the situps, but I think it's primarily the lack of immediate bloating and inflammation that comes with the SAD ways. 

Meals today are not quite thought out yet.  We got through breakfast and are nearing lunch.  Thankfully we have some leftovers.  Dinner is a whole different story.  I think I'll break open the cookbooks and get a plan for the rest of the weekend so that we stay on track.

SaraRuns, It's true that life will be much better for everyone.  Once the kids sleep better, then I sleep better.  Once the kids' energy is more settled, then mine will be more settled.  It will be nice and actually, today is going okay.  I'm low energy, but not grumpy crabby like yesterday.  It's also nice winter weather so we'll go out a bit after naps - just a shame we can't go out and eat and have a beer after that! :)  No, I'm really much happier when eating this way even giving the transition process.

Dum da dum dum....dummmmmm!  I am now officially starting over and am at Day ZERO!  I don't feel too badly about it, but I do feel like a lousy team member.  When others stick with things, that helps motivate me, but now here I've gone and biffed it.

However, I did not biff it with wine or beer or bread or cheese or anything that might take me down the wrong path.  But I did biff it by eating some paleo cake for the kids' birthday party today.  I made a chocolate coconut flour and egg based cake with a coconut oil and honey frosting.  It looked nice and the texture was good.  At the party, my kids were fantastic about reaching for their paleo cake instead of the pink and white cake with ice cream.  And then the hostess handed me a plate of the paleo cake and I used that as an excuse to try out this new recipe of mine.  Was it good? Would this be a good fall-back recipe?  Important scientific questions.  So I ate it and it was fine.  Not great, but fine.  The kids liked it and the texture was decent so I'll use it until I find something better, but I won't try to find anything else this month.  My husband had a piece too.   However, I ATE it and it had added sugar in the form of honey and maple syrup. Not a lot, but I knew it was there and I ate it anyway.  That's totally cheating and not demonstrating integrity so we are starting over on Day One tomorrow.

My goals for this month were:

1.  Whole30 with integrity  

2.  Meditate every day

3.  Exercise is some form or fashion every day

4.  Try new recipes

I'm doing okay with the goals.  

Mediating Goal: I mediated for the fifth day in a row today.  I signed up for a 28 day challenge on www.wildmind.org.  So far it's been good.  There are guided meditations and I'm enjoying the structure.   Yesterday I did 25 minutes.  Today 5.  Both count!  It's also triggering some nice reflective thinking.

Exercising Goal: I've done exercising of some sort each day, though not a lot.  Today I went to the pool and swam almost 3/4 of a mile.  It wasn't fun, but it wasn't bad either and I'm glad I went.  I could have gone the whole mile, but I'd only planned on a 1/2 mile, wanted to get home for dinner and I figured there was no need to push myself.  My shoulder is a bit sore and the swimming did aggravate it.  I can feel a sharp pain in my neck right now.

New Recipe Goal?:  Did them!  For lunch we had Sunrise Scramble which was GREAT.  I enjoyed the new spice flavors.  The kids gobbled it up.  For dinner we had West African Chicken Stew from WF2 over cabbage (grownups) and spaghetti squash (kids).  It was good, but I think we needed to add more salt or more seasonings.  It was given a huge thumbs up by our boy who had selected that menu item.  It was ignored by our daughter who took a few bites and then was done with dinner.

Lastly...Aches and Pains:  I might as well document them because it's so easy to forget what happens.  

My left shoulder has been hurting for about a month when I lift up my arm or move my arm in certain ways.  There are no injuries that I'm aware of and I certainly have not been overusing it.  In the past I would get tendonitis very easily.  This reminds me of a time when I did injure my right shoulder and over time movement was more and more restricted so that I couldn't even lift a fork to eat.  I had a cortisone shot and it magically went away.  I don't anticipate this left one will do the same thing.  I'm hoping that by moving it and using it and developing strength in it AND by eating healthy, it will do whatever it needs to do to heal.  But I don't want to aggravate it either.  It kind of concerns me.

My left foot.  THIS is the injury that I think it connected to the swelling in my knee that left me immobilized last spring.  I completely cut out running and exercise and began more barefoot walking.  Things were doing pretty good, but a couple days ago, after doing sit-ups, I noticed pain in the back of my knee in the middle of the night.  When I got up, the pain in my foot was quite substantial.  Could something about my posture and the muscles used when doing sit-ups, pull at the muscles and tendons around my knee which then pull at the tendons around my foot?  I haven't a clue, but I am pretty certain that I do not have separate injuries, but rather something more holistic.  

And now I'm off to bed for hopefully a good night's rest and a good week ahead.

Last night was a doozy.  This cough of mine kept me up most of the night and so today my energy is pretty low.  I also agreed to watch a friend's little kid all day so my normal routine is a bit thrown off.  Bleh bleh bleh - kinda how I feel.

But, I also feel motivated.  I've been building in bits of exercise and that will help build a bit of strength and confidence to go tackle bigger things and I'm eager for those bigger things to begin.

Today I went to the Day One of the ten week community weight loss program.  I weighed in and was 16 pounds away from a healthy BMI.  Sixteen.  Not long ago I was only four pounds away.  There's a part of me that wants to immediately begin counting calories and recording my foods, but I'm not going to.  I have this FREE month of Whole30 where I know I can eat healthy and a chunk of weight will come off.  After that, I can start counting carbs or calories or what have you for the remaining 6 weeks.  I feel a bit cocky about the easy path I'm on and the struggle for others who are going to be limiting their portion sizes and refraining to go out to eat.  Funny how positively the Whole30 lifestyle has planted itself in my mind.

I'm super beat and haven't meditated or exercised yet today, but I will.  After yesterday's swim I'm keeping today simple with abs or squats or planks.

Meal1: Leftover Bird's Nest with a duck egg (sweet potatoes with some great spices)

Meal2: Spaghetti Squash with leftover sunrise surprise (egg and ground chicken in some great spices)

Meal3: Chocolate Chili?  We have the ingredients and it might hit the spot.

Snack?  I totally biffed it this morning and ate a 1/4 cup each of almonds, raisins and cashews.  What was I thinking?  (Obviously I wasn't).  It wasn't the best choice for getting a clean running fat burning body and will make not snacking tomorrow even harder, but it wasn't the worst of things.  

And now on to the rest of the day.

Today I went to the Day One of the ten week community weight loss program.  I weighed in and was 16 pounds away from a healthy BMI.  Sixteen.  Not long ago I was only four pounds away.  There's a part of me that wants to immediately begin counting calories and recording my foods, but I'm not going to.  I have this FREE month of Whole30 where I know I can eat healthy and a chunk of weight will come off.  After that, I can start counting carbs or calories or what have you for the remaining 6 weeks.  I feel a bit cocky about the easy path I'm on and the struggle for others who are going to be limiting their portion sizes and refraining to go out to eat.  Funny how positively the Whole30 lifestyle has planted itself in my mind.

Just think what a testament to eating clean healthy foods you would be if you did the whole 10 weeks without counting and stressing and just eating.

Well, it feels like I did that last year after our first Whole30, but I never got into the healthy BMI zone.  I did, however, maintain a decent weight, but it would be nice to bump it down another notch and find a new spot to maintain at.  But yes, not stressing or counting would be a treat, though I think the tracking of what I eat makes me aware of just how many sweet potatoes I manage to consume in a given day. I'm hoping that I can just put some focus on it for a month or so, get into that healthy BMI zone, and then just enjoy eating clean and maintaining that weight.  But none of that is happening now.  For now, I'm just cooking and eating and not giving weight loss much of a thought.

I wouldn't stress much about BMI. It isn't a very good measure of health. Someone who is skinny fat and undernourished can have a "healthy" BMI while a bodybuilder will probably be high on the scale. You have such lovely goals based on real health.  :wub:

Physibeth - Was I being resistant and stubborn?  I wondered about that last night as I was walking.  I probably was.  You're right - It would be far nicer to get to that healthy space just by enjoying eating and doing what I'm doing.  I'm skeptical it will happen just because I'm good at eating, but it's possible and I guess I'll find out in a month.  I'm not one to take the BMI numbers too much to heart, but they are a good guide and I do know that the weights within that zone are the right ones for my body.  I've lost a lot of weight and now maintained it and I think it's time to get moving towards that healthy active person I'd like to be.

But I have a dang cough that keeps me up at night!  

I did sleep really well from 10-4 and that was a treat.  The rest of the family also slept really well.  If I didn't have this cough, I might have as well.  But the cough is a good thing too.  It keeps things from settling in and is keeping my sinuses and back woods of my respiratory system cleared out.  I'm drinking lots of ACV and I know that helps.  I haven't used any inhalers and I'm really pleased with that.  It means that my body and my foods (and my ACV) are taking care of things - just a little less gracefully than the average joe.

Thanks SaraRuns for that support.  I think that's what I'm gonna do. 

Dinner last night: Salmon with an almond butter sauce, spaghetti squash, cabbage (HC - Husband's creation)

Meal1: Spaghetti squash with eggs

Meal2: Chocolate Chili? With a bed of spinach, onions and avocado.

Meal3: More Chocolate Chili?

Goals:

Meditated for 5 minutes last night - 6 days in a row!

Did 8 minutes of situps last night - no soreness today - that's a good sign - will make it easier to join a yoga class next week if I've got a little bit of strength built up

New Recipes - Chocolate Chili (though we did have it once before)

Whole30 with Integrity - We are on Day 2.  The kids are on Day 6.

Physibeth - Was I being resistant and stubborn?  I wondered about that last night as I was walking.  I probably was.  You're right - It would be far nicer to get to that healthy space just by enjoying eating and doing what I'm doing.  I'm skeptical it will happen just because I'm good at eating, but it's possible and I guess I'll find out in a month.  I'm not one to take the BMI numbers too much to heart, but they are a good guide and I do know that the weights within that zone are the right ones for my body.  I've lost a lot of weight and now maintained it and I think it's time to get moving towards that healthy active person I'd like to be.

No you are not being either. I'm just trying to encourage you to remember that health is so much more than a number on the scale and also to realize that if you get stronger and more active like you desire it might have an affect on the scale that might seem wrong if you are only worried about the scale. I know you know all this. I'm just reminding you. Way back when I started running I was at my lowest adult weight ever. I gained back about 10 lbs but all my clothes still fit just fine. Like Sara says don't sweat it now. You can evaluate when you are done. My personal experience has been that I'm calmer and less stressed overall when I don't worry about the scale or counting calories or carbs or whatever. Your mileage may vary.

Archived