Day 16 and I'm still really tired...

I'm on day 16 and really thought I'd have more energy by now. I started te Whole30 in the hopes it would help with my PCOS (and ultimately lead to weight loss), and I'm wondering if it's just going to take me longer to feel better. A little about me - besides having pcos, I'm a mom to a three month old. I just stopped pumping breast milk (would have gone longer but had major supply issues...the lactation consultants told me I was a rock star for going as long as I did). So I don't get eight hours of uninterrupted sleep, but I do get between seven and nine hours depending on how the little one sleeps. Last night, I got nine hours but still feel completely worn out. I don't do any formal exercise - I can barely keep up with the baby and the house and the cooking I have to do for this program.

Have others taken longer to get their energy back or is there something else I need to be doing?

IIRC nursing mothers use @1000 calories/day (Checked, most sources say between 200 and 500 extra calories) more than non-nursing women. Not that you should count those, just realize that your food needs are really high. Way, way back when I was nursing, I lost all 40 pounds of pregnant weight gain in 6 months. I ate like a hog. Admittedly, I walked everywhere since I didn't own a car back then, but I had the energy to do so.

Also lots more water, and more protein. My guess is that you are now a solid 2 palm/2 thumb person.

Sorry, I totally read your post wrong. Never mind.

More calories? Really, even now that I'm no longer nursing and not formally exercising? I only mentioned I'd quit nursing because I wonder if it hasn't caused a little more flux in the hormone situation, which I hear is common doing Whole30 anyway (and PCOS exacerbates anyway.). On any given day, here's a typical meal log:

Breakfast: 3 eggs cooked in ghee with spinach and 2 slices bacon ( from US Wellness), coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch: chicken breast (one palm) over salad greens with olive oil dressing, 1/2 avocado, serving of fruit

Dinner: 1-1.5 palms meat, 2 serving veggies cooked with ghee or coconut oil, serving of fruit

Roughly two days a week I have sweet potato or butternut squash with a meal, but not more often because I want to lose weight and I'm not working out.

Thanks for sharing your ideas- I desperately want to do this right and see some great results. :)

a) yes, I think you could use more calories in general

B) I feel like you are probably a LITTLE light on protein and definitely light on carbohydrates. Considering your lack of energy, I say do the starchy carbs more frequently. Eat an entire sweet potato for dinner, please!

Kayell, no worries - I appreciate you trying to help!

Renee, thanks for the input - I ate half a sweet potato with dinner (would have had the whole thing, but my hubby uncharacteristically wanted some, so I shared tonight. Will cook extra next time!) Will try eating a bit more protein, too.

Hmm... I'm on day 16, too, and still a bit tired during the day as well. I was re-reading the serving size suggestions with my husband the other night, and his theory was that I wasn't getting enough fat. Generally, I may cook the meal for my entire family in a couple of tablespoons of oil, so I guess I don't get a full "thumb" for myself! I did add more fat yesterday and felt okay, but I also had real coffee in the morning. Today I ditched the caffeine and had a great breakfast but an iffy lunch (random leftovers, ate standing and working, maybe not enough food), and I felt my old, normal tiredness in the afternoon. Going back for more protein and fat didn't seem to help too much (maybe a little), and I was munching on watermelon, so I had some carbs, too.

We'll see if tomorrow is better with some more fat again and time to eat properly... but I will still be going through caffeine withdrawal, too. Ideas on how to best deal with that? Maybe exercise?

I'm definitely noticing a difference on sweet potato days, but admit I'm still struggling with eating higher carb veg. I did eat a whole one with lunch, so hopefully I will feel better today. Thanks to my almost 4 month old, I'm getting 8-9 hrs sleep pretty consistently. I do think I may be one of the people who need more time doing this before I get sorted out.

I'm on day 25, and still plan to start reintroduction on day 31. Hopefully that won't stall progress.

Archived