Nadia's Whole30 #3

Nadia B

I win "the most creative log title", right? I know  :D Anyways, hello there. I am Nadia, I am known for long posts, habit to spam with pictures on my logs and love for offal+sardines. It's my third whole30 and I am super excited about it. 

Little historic note. The whole year has passed since I've done my first whole30. I have been "off plan" few times, mostly during travels. I eat dark chocolate. Maybe too often. It's been an amazing journey in many unexpected ways. It still is. From chain smoking neurotic girl to non smoking less neurotic girl. From zero fat for days to "double guacamole, please". From 1000 carefully calculated kcal to "today is a one/two palms kind of day". From 7 months of no periods to normal menstruation. From spinning classes 3 times a week to walking, dancing and playing. I still have lots of healing to do and tons of stuff to figure out yet. I still need to learn to love and forgive myself more. I am working on the "unconditionally" part. 

Why am I doing another one? 

- I feel that my gut has healed a lot. I recover from exposure to irritating foods way quicker. The list is quite long for me and contains perfectly approved foods too - eggs, nightshades and nuts. I am not so good with anything raw. I am not so good with most of the FODMAP fruits. I want to do proper testing after clean month.

- I need a system after holidays. Even though I can't say that I was overeating or consuming inflammation bombs during the season, cheese and chocolate were no strangers to my daily ration  :rolleyes:

- I need to recover after 1,5 months of being limited in movement (broken foot). And by recover I mean get rid of some pounds caused by this. I am vain, there I said it. 

- My sleep is horrible. Did I say horrible? Yeah.  

- Whole30 is fun. Like for real, don't roll your eyes, people. 

So, let's rock together! P.S I so wanted to add a picture, but apparently I was inseparable with my champagne on Dec 31st. It feels like posting a picture of cake here  :lol:

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day1. Supposed to be yesterday. However, somehow I decided that I can just have as much champagne as I want on NY's Eve. Not so smart after a year of almost zero alcohol. Good news - it's a wicked painkiller and I was dancing the whole night with my not-so-broken-anymore foot. Now you all know how smart I am. Needless to say that I spent Jan 1st with chicken soup and two tangerines. Technically compliant, but so not in the spirit of WH30. So I am starting today!

M1: fennel/broccoli in co. Homemade headcheese (don't you dare to say it's gross B) It's a meat jello. There is nothing better than a meat jello!). Coffee with coconut cream.

M2. Steamed mixed vegetables (a lot a lot) and a a piece of smoked salmon. So funny to be reading labels with microscope again. 

M3. Fennel and zucchini in co. Meat jello mnommnom. I will probably have a little glass of kombucha before going to the party tonight. 

Go Nadia go! You are going to rock this! Are you going to do full AIP or just removing the things you know are making your gut unhappy?

Wweeeee! Thanks. I don't really have non-AIP food at home besides chocolate. Spices, nuts, eggs and nightshades are out long time ago. So it will be a mix. My goal is to calm down the gut, stop eyeballing my pack of chocolate all the time and stop random food creeping in. Happy Tummy month. 

Day 2.

M1. Coffee with ccream. L/o meat jello standing near the fridge while zoodles with a bit of crushed walnuts were cooking. Added a can of sardines and mustard to the mix. Weird breakfast, but who cares. One more coffee at the office.  

M2. Steamed veggies and smoked salmon (5ish oz). 

M3. Giant salad with spinach, sauerkraut, tiny whole avocado (weird I know). Two palms (it's so thin though, hard to tell. Id say 6 oz?)of baked tilapia and several pieces of pumpkin. Very weird meal, but it hit the spot or just filled my belly? Not my most stellar meal for sure. Tea and I want something to munch on, because I am stressed and upset with work stuff. Whatever. I am a big girl, I can handle that. 

Sleep - meh. Chicken stock gone bad as it was abandoned weeks ago at the back of the fridge - meh. It is -31 (-23 F?) today - meeeeeeh. On the good side - I feel brain fog lifting, I feel how excess of liquid/puffiness is leaving my body and I have a wicked hat for the weather. And it's Friday. Friday is good. 

3e2be97e-7faa-466f-8782-d8989934c552_zps

Yay for the vanquishing of brain fog.  Mine has not lifted yet and I predict it will be many days.  I really loved your intro post and your reflection on yourself before and after.  It reminded me of a wonderful friend who is so hard on herself always trying to achieve and be more than she is when I already think she's great exactly as she is.  Ha - I should probably take that own advice for myself! :)  Here's to another Whole30 and wonderfully long posts.

Yay for the vanquishing of brain fog.  Mine has not lifted yet and I predict it will be many days.  I really loved your intro post and your reflection on yourself before and after.  It reminded me of a wonderful friend who is so hard on herself always trying to achieve and be more than she is when I already think she's great exactly as she is.  Ha - I should probably take that own advice for myself! :)  Here's to another Whole30 and wonderfully long posts.

Hi Emma, thanks for encouraging words  :) This is what fascinates me about clean eating. It goes both ways - I am more sensitive to "toxic" food than an average person, however the more I eat clean the faster I can feel fantastic after some damage is done by just eating right. Another fascinating thing - who would have ever thought that broccoli and salmon for 30 days will get me into gaining a perspective of how I want my life to look like and how to take care of myself (sleep, stress and mental health included). It starts with food is the perfect line indeed. Getting all preachy here. 

P.S Everyone should take your advice, but that's the hard part. Work in progress, right? 

Oh it looks sooooo cold there, shiver shiver shiver. I do not miss the northeast, not one bit. Good bone broth weather though.

I started my own log, but thanks for the invite. "DB's third time's a charm." Don't know how to make a link, sorry. I'm old.

Great to hear how well you are doing... lots of improvement since the summer it sounds like. 

But I'm sorry, head cheese sounds disgusting. That said, please do post a photo! :lol:

Day2. Update. I ate half pack of almonds with tea at Starbucks. Shock. I went there. You know how much of a snob I am when it comes to coffee. But it was the only option at the bookstore I went to read through the guides. I was super stressed because of work and J acting like a complete as***le. Plus I have this terrible habit - eating when reading. Good side - I managed to eat only half of this tiny pack and actually stop. Yay. Anywho, guess where I am going to in Feb? Somewhere warm, sunny and with lots of guacamole. 

Day 3. 

I need to write down days of the week. I am lost already. Saturday? I am eating the most weird stuff these days, because I have zero food in the fridge. I am moving out for the entire week out of my place to J's  :rolleyes:  It's going to be a bit challenging, however as long as I do the cooking, I am fine. He is more than happy to pass this duty on to me. 

M1. L/o tilapia and tons of broccoli. Coffee and coconut cream. Second half of the pack of almonds (1/2 ounce). 

M2. The most random salad from everything that had to be eaten in the fridge. Greens, can of sardines, 3/4 small apple  and l/o roasted pumpkin. Let me tell you - this is an awesome mix, seriously. It sounds pretty gross, but trust me, sardines are made to be eaten with pumpkin and apples. Here, proof that it doesn't look too bad. 

f6788dac-fc72-4398-aa2b-0f4369162cea_zps

M3. Met J and he waned to go out for dinner. He is not aware of whole30 going on as I don't want to overwhelm him. He thinks I am weird enough to say that animal fat is good for you. We went to a Thai place which was the best I could choose (indian and pizza, yeah right). The place was small and the chef is also the owner. He turned out to be a sweet person from Thailand. Quick chat and I was sure that my belly will be full. Coconut soup with mushrooms (homemade broth, coconut milk possibly with carrageen, mushrooms, lemongrass and broccoli) and grilled marinated chicken (no soy, funky oil and such) with side of a salad w/o dressing. Shared a pack of raspberries with J after. Funny that he was tired and feeling full so he had to lie down for a bit (PadThai obvi) and I had "flat" tummy/no food baby whatsoever.  B) Went to the house party with him later. I am getting sick and I was sneezing all the time. I brought my own bottle of kombucha to avoid too many questions. I hate being the only outsider in a group of people who know each other since high school. I hate to be "the new girl of...". Especially when two good friends of an ex are there too. Especially when I have no desire to drink or eat cookies. Or discuss best sandwiches in town. Or hockey. Or whiskey. Or making jam. Or you get the idea that I wasn't in exactly best place mentally last night. Funny moment which is not exactly funny. I finally find a nice girl to talk to. I hear that guys discuss meat and places to eat it. Big smokehouse in particular where meat is pretty much everything you can have. J exclaims "Nadia LOVES Barque! That's probably the only thing we agree on about food. Steak girl!" I see that girl's face changes and her bf starts laughing. Sure bet she is a strict vegetarian. Duuuh (hope you are laughing). 

Left the party with J and his friends who were staying at his place around 3 am. I was a complete vegetable at that point, however I went to bed at 5 am only. Feeling  <_<  ^_^  :wub:  :wacko:  :blink:  and all in between. 

Day 4. Sunday. 

Had to wake up at 9am and rush to my apartment to get smth fixed. Oh dear God. Didn't want to wake J up, so I just took a subway. I was starving.

M1.1 Coffee from the bakery (not a single thought about all the galore of pastries). Banana and pack of carrots from convenience store nearby. Anything but the template :(

M.1.2 Got home to an empty fridge. I told you already that this whole30 I am eating all sorts of weird stuff in weird combinations due to circumstances and no prep whatsoever. This meal beats headcheese and sardines with pumpkin. Sauteed zucchini with pack of frozen clams. I am such a foodie :D  I added kaffir lime salt and some garlic and it wasn't actually bad at all. 

M2. No clue. On the go probably. I think that the safest thing I can eat around the area I'll spend my day is a salad. BA salad with greens, carrots (I am turning orange hehe), cucumbers, turkey bacon (local no sugar) and avocado. 

M3. Promised to make dinner tonight. J is in charge of the groceries. This means that out of let's say 15 items on my list I will be lucky to have 3. Salt, pepper and horrible seasoning from the supermarket are my only spices as well. Lucky me. FortunatelyI have some veggies at home that I will need to take with me or freeze. I bet that I am the only gf (omg I said it) that moved in with a head of cauliflower and a jar of coconut oil. Thank God it's for a week only. 

I am thinking chicken with olives, prunes and garlic from Elana's Pantry book. I am addicted to it. Maybe dijon lemon chicken. Or orange/coriander chicken. Maybe onion/apple/pork chops. Roasted cauliflower and little salad on the side I guess. Need smth quick and impressive. 

Off I go. Caffeine to the rescue  -_-

Oh it looks sooooo cold there, shiver shiver shiver. I do not miss the northeast, not one bit. Good bone broth weather though.

I started my own log, but thanks for the invite. "DB's third time's a charm." Don't know how to make a link, sorry. I'm old.

Great to hear how well you are doing... lots of improvement since the summer it sounds like. 

But I'm sorry, head cheese sounds disgusting. That said, please do post a photo! :lol:

It is so delicious, I kid you not. With some smoked mustard. Mmmmm. I ate it all, no picture. Mark's Daily Apple has a post about it.  I must say that we make it with 99% more meat and it doesn't look transparent at all! 

UPD. FOUND IT. CLICK

UPD. I had to go back in my photo library far far back. That's no good, there are way too many pictures in the clothes I have no way to squeeze myself in now. ARRRRR. It's just me being grumpy as I want to sleeeeeeeep. Moving on. Focus on eating right things, Nadia. Shut the inner panicking monkey.

moving in with J?! This is getting serious!  :P chicken with olives, prunes and garlic totally made my mouth water. look at you converting me to your sweet-and-savory combination loving ways (not to mention liver and sardines, oh my!  ;) )... :wub:

Haha not at all. He is leaving for work to Dubai soon (sad trumpet) and that's why I will be staying there, no romantic anything. Well, I guess a bit. You don't offer any girl to live in your house while you are away. He is weird, he could do that. It's convenient for everyone, that's my take on it. 

This chicken is genius. Do you have her little book? If not, I can send you the exact recipe, but it's pretty simple - garlic, olive oil, olives, prunes and bay leaf. Puree, marinade and bake/roast. I use l/o marinade as dressing after. Yes, I love sweet and salty together blueberry brussel sprouts, maple cranberries broccoli and so on. I can handle this kind of sweet well.  

Day 4. Upd.

Worst food day ever. I was running around the whole day and by 2 I was ready to chew someone's head/arm/any part available. Took a quick tour around the museum I was waiting my friend at. Nothing. Looked in the museum cafe. Did't take risk as noone knew the ingredients. Although, I have to say, that I was very pleased that food had labels of gf, dairy free etc. 2oz of raw almonds was the only option. Needless to say my tummy didn't appreciate the choice. Went to my "Healthy Butcher" on my way to my temporary home. Bought duck sausages and roasted vegetables/chicken thigh. Ate veggies and chicken COLD (chicken had to be consumed with my hand) on the streetcar. Not fun. Got home and made dinner. Roasted cauliflower with garlic, pan seared chicken with mustard and tossed greens with cucumber. Remember about Js shopping superpowers? Cucumber and chicken were in the fridge already. Cauli and greens were mine. Dinner tasted ok. At least not terrible. 

Day 5. Monday. 

Went to bed at 10 last night! Oh joy! Woke up ONCE and woke up to J's alarm at 6:20. Black coffee and out the door by 7 as J drove me to the subway. And I didn't want to be at his house on my own. Which is happening anyways, because he is leaving soon. 

Goal for today - cook up food for lunches and breakfasts. His kitchen is not my dream kitchen, for sure. Plus, I don't want to pull the housewife off. It is all good though. 

M1. Coffee. Store bought roast beef (roasted on the site, no sugar, compliant), large box of steamed kale with some emergency dressing from the drawer + half of a small avocado. 

M2. Steamed brussels sprouts with two (or one) packs of scallops (3 oz each). All bought in the supermarket and will be cooked in the corporate kitchen. Greens with compliant dressing (yaya found awesome at the store) and rest of avocado. 

M3. Duck sausages with green beans I think. Or not. 

P.S. My clothes fits better already. Defluffing continues. Careful menu + more walking as my foot is feeling ok. No magic pill. As expected. 

Day 5. UPD. 

M3. I was still strangely hungry and ate second half of bag of Brussels sprouts and second pack of scallops. Ate 3 brazil nuts with peppermint tea on my way "home". 

M4. Ended up making my favorite creamy green beans with onions, garlic, coconut milk, cumin and almonds (theclothesmakesthegirl) and kale/carrots/cucumbers/tahini/lemon salad. Chicken sausages for protein. Couldn't finish everything and decided to save it for breakfast (surprised glance from J). He started preparing his lunch for tomorrow and offered to make something for me too. Out of pure curiosity I said yes and left the kitchen. Imagine my face when I saw my "lunch" - grilled portobello cap with grilled piece of meat. J goes: " I was preparing mine and I added onions (thought it's a no for you), pesto (no because it's crap from supermarket), tomatoes (no again), cheese (no again). Then I thought that you can add spinach and avocado, but I didn't want to screw up, soooo here you go!". I was proud and sad at the same time.  I mean is that the amount of food a girl supposed to eat for a meal? 

P.S I made my beloved eggplant caviar for him. He is obsessed with bell peppers and tomatoes, so I figured he would love it. Caught him sneaking spoonfuls from the jar :rolleyes: Can't help but pulling off a housewife. I must stop for everyone's good. Ok, that's not the point I am trying to make. The point is that I ate couple spoonfuls too. So good, but even though I didn't have immediate crazy reaction I used to have, I've definitely had a bit of rashes and tender tummy by the morning. Sigh. 

Day 6. Tuesday. 

Random facts about today. 

- I slept like a rock waking up only once around 4am. Whatever it is - J's bed, J in it, whole 30 or altogether, I'll take it. 

- It is freezing outside. -39 (C AND F) with the windchill. Can you imagine? Love Canada. Cashmere sweater to the rescue. 

- I have pretty nails and a cool dress with leather shoulders. And it's the only picture I have to share. I am not making my statement that I am a photo spammer believable, aren't I? 

05fb6368-7779-44b5-99f0-f790db1fe7e8_zps

Ok, food for today:

M1. J's ascetic mushroom sandwich with added spinach and a slice of avocado. Coffee with a spoon of coconut milk. 

M.1.2 It wasn't nearly enough to keep me satisfied. Ate all my l/o dinner that was supposed to be a lunch. But it wasn't enough to be a lunch too. Blah. Ate my small chicken sausage, green beans and some salad to fill up my belly. One more coffee. 

M2. I need to buy something. Broccoli and scallops for the win  :wub:

M3. Eating out as I am going to the movies with my friends after work. I am not sure what I end up eating. Steamed kale and salmon probably. Can't be too creative with supermarket downstairs and a microwave  :lol:

what is the "eggplant caviar" of which you speak? recipe please. I think it is sweet how hard J tries to meet your needs.  ;) cute too.

Easy peasy nomnomnom! I don't remember exact recipe as it goes back to my Granny. I make it like this:

Step1. Roast whole 3 eggplants and 3 red bell peppers. \

Step 2. Puree a tomato. Sometimes I chop it finely.

Step 3. Peel veggies and puree eggplants. I like to pulse peppers for the texture, but blending everything works too.

Step 4. Season with salt, pepper, garlic (2 cloves), raw onions (optional) and evoo. I like to add basil (rubbed sweet basil works fine if fresh is unavailable).

Step 5. Resist the urge to eat it all and let it sit for couple hours. Even better overnight. Tada!

P.S he just freaks out that I will be sick at his house  :lol:  Scare tactics to not end up with bagel in my lunchbox. 

Hey we both bought duck sausages on day 5! I have to go get mine because I left them at work. 

I looked at MDA's head cheese post and am not quite as revolted as I thought I might be. I don't know that I would eat it though. Maybe if you were there prompting and supporting me  :).

Your food sounds weird and good, and your descriptions of all the social and relationship exchanges surrounding your food made me laugh. The party.. hahahaha.

Hey we both bought duck sausages on day 5! I have to go get mine because I left them at work. 

I looked at MDA's head cheese post and am not quite as revolted as I thought I might be. I don't know that I would eat it though. Maybe if you were there prompting and supporting me  :).

Your food sounds weird and good, and your descriptions of all the social and relationship exchanges surrounding your food made me laugh. The party.. hahahaha.

Duckkkkkk  :wub:  Hope you got them. I'd definitely support you eating it! 

Archived