Nadia's Whole30 #3

Nadia B

Day 6. UPD.

Strange strange day. Basically I went to the supermarket and ate this throughout the day. Box with strawberries is missing several berries only and olive jar is 2/3d full of course.

a0bd889c-78da-4842-b6a0-dfa6bac36f58_zps

M2. Ate lunch at 1pm. 1/2 kale bunch and 1/2 veggies pack. Salmon. Generous handful of olives. Strawberries

Bottle of kombucha.

M2.2 Hungry at 5! Ohoh. ate the rest of veggies and picked on olives.

Now is the tricky part. I am going for a dinner with friends. Menu is kind of ok but kind of not. Steak (and I want steak) comes with cornbread and all that jazz. I will try to sub for big salad. Grilled chicken+salad is the safest option. Boring. Desperately want yam fries, but I doubt that their oil is ok. Also, not very whole30, let's admit. I am also not sure if I NEED to eat this extra meal. Do I want to? I surely do :rolleyes:

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Order the steak and if they won't sub a salad than just tell them to please leave the cornbread and jazz of your plate. You could ask if it was possible to get just a baked yam plain. 

Oh and I loved your selfie this morning. I've been prioritizing sleep and cooking over my nails and they are sad and barren right now.

I love reading your posts, they're super helpful (which might be weird!) especially when making food work. I used to be the type - and still have the tendency - to throw my hands up when it gets complicated re: meal planning and making compliance work. I enjoy the concoctions you are able to throw together and the recipes you post. Thanks & I hope your foot feels better!

Hope your dinner out went well.  I'm with Bethany, love your nails.  I think I have a similar color, Essie Smokin Hot (wore for NYE, I even tried to take a picture, but they looked blah in the pic)

essie-nail-polish-smoking-hot-th.jpg

Hope you ate steak!

Order the steak and if they won't sub a salad than just tell them to please leave the cornbread and jazz of your plate. You could ask if it was possible to get just a baked yam plain. 

Oh and I loved your selfie this morning. I've been prioritizing sleep and cooking over my nails and they are sad and barren right now.

Oh I have never thought about asking the whole yam. The fries looked divine but the girl who ate them said they were average, so I didn't bother at all. Emergency nail kit at my desk at work to the rescue  :rolleyes:  That's what I do most of the time anyways. 

I love reading your posts, they're super helpful (which might be weird!) especially when making food work. I used to be the type - and still have the tendency - to throw my hands up when it gets complicated re: meal planning and making compliance work. I enjoy the concoctions you are able to throw together and the recipes you post. Thanks & I hope your foot feels better!

Hi Kat :) Why weird? This is why we all post here, it's helpful in many ways. It took some time for me to learn to crave simple foods and manage with what I have on hand. I rarely panic about "what am I going to eat?". Nice side effect. 

Hope your dinner out went well.  I'm with Bethany, love your nails.  I think I have a similar color, Essie Smokin Hot (wore for NYE, I even tried to take a picture, but they looked blah in the pic)

Hope you ate steak!

I have Smoking Hot and I love it, so chick! Tricky color to capture, for sure. Reminds me of Chanel Paradoxal. This one is Velvet Voyer or Carry On, one of those. 

Day 6. Steak update.

10 oz nice T-bone in medium rare. "Fad diet" for life :D Asked for a veggie sub and ended up with grilled cauliflower and bell peppers (ate them regardless). Packed 1/2 steak to go. My friends were laughing at me that only Nadia can go to the movies with half a steak. So what :P Cool pinball from last night. Baby don't be crrruuuuueeeel tudududu. What song pops in your head when you see him? 

0e419303-cd24-4f14-80ec-026d9c59c6ab_zps

Day 7. Wednesday.  

Totally slept in. Even  though 6 hours is a terribly low number, rock solid no waking up 6 hours sleep is pretty amazing for me. No food prepared for today. Obviously. I should do it for 30 days and call it no-prep experiment.

M1.1 Espresso, two carrots and a slice of steak until J commanded "Out the door, now!"

M1.2 Rest of the strawberries from yesterday. Americano and rest of the steak with spinach, carrots and a bit of avocado. Some speedy lunch packing, telling you. 

a64ce2b1-ab43-471f-af6d-d4d44c3a716f_zps

M.2 Supermarket run again. Delicious lunch of vegetables and scallops with coconut milk. Throw into the bowl - microwave. Under 5$ too, pure awesomeness. 

6CDC27F0-29AD-45BD-933B-E91F122E961C_zps

M3. TBD. Sausage and a BA salad. Don't feel like cooking at all tbh. Although I am craving spaghetti squash. I wonder if J is going to freak out if I pop this thing into microwave and start pulling threads out of it after. Probably yes.

Random facts:

- J and I are going to my favorite smokehouse in Toronto tomorrow. Local, farm to table and absolutely amazing food. Going away dinner will be so much fun. Meat coma, here I come. 

- I booked my vacations in February. I am so looking forward to it. The fact that it is a very warm place will keep my food choices for the rest of the month in check. Vanity hello. 

Walk time. I might or might not have a kombucha or a decaf  :ph34r:

Oh KB, I am feeling loved  :wub:

Day 7. UPD. 

Ate 1/2 pack of almonds from Starbucks and a tea on the way home, I was so hungry!

M3. Came "home" to J roaming around the kitchen. It is so funny how he starts talking about the dinner (and what he, manly man, has hunted brought from the grocery store) the minute I take my coat off. Lazy no cooking dinner. J grilled salmon. I chopped large salad of spinach, carrots and cucumbers. I also made faux-salsa (avo/tomato/lemon juice/dried basil/onions) for the fish. I ate tomatoes! I didn't break out, just a little itchy. Oh my, maybe I will be able to eat bell peppers soon  :wub: You know what fascinates me about J? He eats salad/veggies FIRST. 

Day 8. Thursday. 

Sleep wasn't great tonight. Tossing and turning all night. J woke me up 10 minutes to 7. He thought that I am leaving with him and it wasn't my plan at all. So I had 15 minutes for shower/makeup/breakfast. Needless to say that latter didn't happen. Not even a coffee. Found 1/2 pack of almonds in my bag and happily ate them. Boooooo, I hate being hungry. 

M1. Americano with coconut milk and my "lunch" lovingly packed by J without my knowledge. Sweet as is, but, seriously, this is a SNACK. How can anyone live up to the lunch, eat this and be content till dinner!? Salmon with salsa, handful of spinach/carrots/mushrooms. 

Coffee date with my friend. 

M2. No-prep lunch from the supermarket. Veggies with coconut milk + protein of choice. As usual. I wonder if I can steam little spaghetti squash in the office and get away with it. Bad idea, Nadia. 

M3. Barque with J. This is the best place in the city (for me). I mean they have "Disappoint a vegan. Give a Barque gift basket" on their main page. Offensive? Yes. Do I find it funny? Yes. I am a terrible human being. I wish I could have maple glazed squash and brussel sprouts. Oh well, baby back ribs will soothe my pain and fill the void  :D 

What else? Oh, I am feeling puffy and big again. Too early to be a pms, wtf. Nightshades effect? Big cup of tea before bed?

I would say so unusual for men to eat vegetables first. They usually eat meat/bread/other starch first. At least the ones I know. 

I think the way I approach order of meal consuption is entirely based on how it is prepared/plated.

For example if I have some meat and a salad it isn't normally all together and I tend to eat the hot stuff before the cold stuff (meat before salad). If I have steamed veggies and meat I tend to eat the veggies first because they taste nasty to me when they get cold (usually). If I have a (like today) a meat and a mashed veggie or other than salad cold veggie I tend to eat around the plate (a little here, a little there). Am I totally weird?

Day 8. UPD. 

M2.2 I was crazy hungry by 4 again. What the hell is going on. Steamed some l/o veggies I had in the office fridge to tie me up till dinner. I couldn't get away from my desk, so this snack wasn't balanced at all, I know. 

M3. Barque. Meat heaven. We had a platter for two - baby back ribs, beef ribs and chorizo sausage (made on the site, all compliant). Rub seemed to be compliant as well, success! Smoked roasted cauliflower, coleslaw (no dressing) and spicy orange roasted sweet potato cubes (Mary I though of you  :P ) on the side. Skipped roated cherry tomatoes. God it was good. Stopped at my fav little store in the area and got a box of amazing organic raspberries. Mmm

7fc515af-7e60-4c10-b3bf-83608079b9bf_zps

Day 9. Friday. 

RFODD (random facts of the day):

- This whole30 is so easy, but somehow days go by crazy slowly. I feel like it's been day 99.

- My good sleep is gone. Daaaamn. I was tossing and turning again tonight. Woke up at 1, 3 and 4 am. I even took natural calm. I will try to limit any liquid intake several hours before bed. 

- I feel gigantic. I am not imagining it, my watches are tight on the wrist. It's like I've retained 6lb of water over this week. I also have pillow and bedsheet marks which proves it. Any input, anyone?

- My tummy is aching today  -_- Tender and "pregnant" (please note the quote marks haha). 

- Discovered two weird rashes on my legs. Nightshades catching up with me? No more, I guess.

- I am not happy at all. 

M1.1 Managed to brew coffee and steal a handful of blueberries. 

M1.2 No prep again. Supermarket run. Got this. What a contrast with dinner, eh? I mixed 1/2 bag of cabbage with l/o avocado and a can of salmon (it is this weird variety skinless boneless low fat I hate. Booo). Still hungry, so I ate several slices of prosciutto. 

a43b2770-3e9d-44b2-86a4-3d0add0a794d_zps

M2. Going to steam vegetables and eat it with my deli turkey meat and olives. Sad meal again. I will def drink a bottle of kombucha to settle my poor tummy. 

M3. Sausage and a salad alone at J's house. This day ain't getting better.  

Yours truly,

Negative N

Thank you, ladies. 

Can I complain more? Well, it's my log, so yes I can. I have a very weird thing going on since morning. I am dizzy. Crazy dizzy. And it is getting worse. I can barely walk straight. I feel like I've drank couple shots of something strong. At least I remember that was the feeling years ago. I can't think about food right now and it's been 6 hours since I ate. Please let it all be over. 

P.S I am not pregnant  :unsure: Just saying. 

Thank you, ladies. 

Can I complain more? Well, it's my log, so yes I can. I have a very weird thing going on since morning. I am dizzy. Crazy dizzy. And it is getting worse. I can barely walk straight. I feel like I've drank couple shots of something strong. At least I remember that was the feeling years ago. I can't think about food right now and it's been 6 hours since I ate. Please let it all be over. 

P.S I am not pregnant  :unsure: Just saying. 

LOL...that's what I get asked when I have dizzy spells. Usually for me I'm either low on sodium or have something going on in my inner ear that I just have to let correct itself. Hope you feel better soon...I know the feeling well and it really sucks. 

I also had two episodes of dizziness/vertigo yesterday. One while I was at the kitchen sink doing dishes, and one when I layed down to take a nap before work. It felt like bed spins.... not that I've had any remotely recent experience with that! Took a while to resolve. Then I just felt kind of 'off' for the rest of the day and night, and even today still a little. Maybe a virus? Or maybe it was the duck sausages...?!!  :blink:

Day 9. UPD.

I left the office and went "home". Dizziness was driving me completely nuts. Not enough to stop me from accidentally buying a new purse (emotional shopping is no better than emotions eating, I have to say, but hey, it's a minimalistic RL tote in dark red that can fit in tons of stuff and my laptop particularly, so it's sort of a necessity -_- What a lie). Waived bye-bye to J and ate dinner. M3. Two sausages with whatever-is-in-the-fridge salad. I've also grilled a small zucchini. Felt better and went to the concert. Yes, on my own. Went to bed late but slept okay-ish the entire night. 

Day 10. Saturday. Laziest day ever. Spent the entire day in the hoodie on the couch reading a book. Have you read JPod by Coupland? Pretty funny and sarcastic. Anyways, the minute I stood up the room would start to spin. So I got up only to make food. 

M1. Sausage, grilled portobello cap, 1/2 eggplant and zucchini. Small closed handful of cashews. 1/4 avocado. 

M2. Sausage, coleslaw with avocado and cucumber. There was smth else but I don't remember. 

Then the fridge got empty. I walked to the supermarket. Boy, was it fun. Dizzy, lightheaded and with numb hands, trying to balance on ice. Stocked up for the next couple days (read bought tons of food) and walked back home. Stupid store had only Thai Kitchen coconut milk. This stuff tastes disgusting. Guar gum makes it taste like plastic. Ewww. 

M3.1 Small box of blackberries (sale for 1$). I immediately felt better after, which made me think that my dizziness is possibly caused by lack of carbs? My food doesn't look low carb to me at all, although I haven't eaten squashes/starches in almost a week. On the other hand, my activity level is close to zero (stupid stupid foot, when will you regain flexibility?!).

M3.2 Glorious glorious dinner. Finally ate a decent meal. Microwaved small spaghetti squash (ate 1/2), steamed broccoli and added a splash of garlic ghee (I made it while the rest of the dinner was cooking, so it was liquid still). Grilled big mushroom cap, topped with turkey burger and a 1/2 of avocado. Sooooo good. I was full, but ate a red pear after. Too sweet and kind of unnecessary. Belly bloated a bit, but I expected it. FODMAP fruits do this to me. Dizziness went away, but it went away last night too. Go figure.

cfacc498-6e7b-4b16-80e9-d3498003cf01_zps

I have a birthday party to go to tonight. I want to go, but I am kind of sleepy and lazy. I also hate clubs that play top40. This music makes my ears bleed. I am a nearly-hipster-indie girl. Coffee and music snob, you know. However, these guys are my friends and who am I to question their choice of a place to celebrate? Decisions decisions. I think I will go for couple hours. 

P.S I am itching after the dinner (ghee???) and have strange flare around the mouth. Wtf is wrong now. I am still guessing eggplant in the morning.

Day 11. 

Sleep was okay-ish. Dizziness and puffiness were pre-menustration after all. Phew. I love that my body is working perfectly now in this sense. 

M1. Turkey burger on portobello cap with avocado, l/o spaghetti squash + grilled zucchini. Coffee with disgusting Thai Kitchen cm. I also broke J's microwave. It won't heat anymore. AAAAA panic. 

M2. Salmon steak and a salad. Grilled carrot. 

M3. TBD. Something compliant.

Trying to buy a ticket to the Neutral Milk Hotel show. Fingers crossed.

Archived