Nadia's Whole30 #3

Nadia B

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you :)

UPD. Feeling significantly better. M3 was spinach, spaghetti squash, roasted root vegetables and sliced turkey breast from the supermarket. L/o avocado. Few chunks the entire flipping box (6 oz :o  :o ) of coconut and a decaf. Huge meal, I hope it will settle by the time of the class. I am dying inside a little bit from excitement. Climbing climbing climbing!

Day 24. Saturday. Time goes by so fast! 

Silks class - it was so awkward to be back, felt clumsy and happy. I did lose quite a bit of strength and the grip, which is more upsetting. Typing today is a challenge, hello aerial arthritis. However I managed to climb on my good side and do few tricks. Scariest part was not to think about jumping down and landing on my foot while losing grip up there. By the end of the class I felt more confident. Ankle is not too happy, but it doesn't hurt hurt. YKWIM? Mixed feelings of euphoria and disappointment in myself. All good.

Sleep - passed out right after getting home from class. Woke up from text from J (who texts 5AM?!) and fell right back to sleep. Slept until 8-30. 9 hours, not too bad. 

Other random thoughts - starting to pack for vacations. And by packing I mean trying summer dresses on and acting the ape. Fun, right? Not exactly, as the most of summer clothes is snug. It's not even the word, it's plain two sizes smaller than I am now. Yet again I am letting this size bulls**t get me. It's hard not to get upset realizing that I am almost same size as 2 years ago when I was inhaling cookies. My body comp is different, way better, but still  :angry:  :angry:   :angry: And now I am like do I go buy new stuff (don't want to) or pray that in two weeks I will magically fit into all this? Didn't have the courage to try swimsuit on. I will definitely need to go and buy bigger bottom. I think I I will buy cheapest zara sale jeans, cut them into shorts and steal a T-shirt from J. I mean what else do you need to wander in the jungles?  :D  

M1. Turkey sausage and sautéed (in co) red cabbage. CM coffee. It's bloody cold and windy outside.

M2. TBD. Sausage and cabbage probably.

Yoga class. Finally. Well, it's not yoga, it's "Flexy Flow" deep stretching session. Exactly what I need.

M3. TBD.  Sausage and cabbage. No, I don't feel bad for eating same stuff over and over again. I bought lots of sausages from local company (amazing homemade GF DF no crap fed) and did not buy lots of vegetables because 1) I am lazy 2) I am visiting my parents for almost a week, so what's the point. 

Stay warm and happy everyone! 

Yay for fun silks class!  You'll get back to where you were soon enough.

Sorry about the clothes.  I would definitely get some cheap clothes to get you through your trip, as you said, you'll be in the jungle so it doesn't need to be high fashion.

My son would be so jealous, he is desperate to go exploring in the jungle.  He LOVES snakes.   :D

Dear Nadia - wouldn't you rather be healthy with a fully functioning body (periods et all) than 2 sizes smaller? You are beautiful! Have some fun thrift store combing adventures and buy things that make you feel beautiful where you are now! Enjoy your strong healthy body and don't let a label take that away from you!

And yay for silks! It will come back. Easier to rebuild muscles than to build them the first time.

One more meltdown. Hate them. Thanks for tolerating  them again and again, you guys. Treated my emotional breakdown like a grown up woman - with the shoe binge. Because you do not let last pair of Fendi flats that happen to be your size and 70% off stay at the store. Amirightttt?  :unsure:

23a5b54f-7058-473e-8358-e7e3f8308364_zps

Day 25. Sunday.

M1. M2. Beef sausage and red cabbage. Hungry as hell, so there were like 2 hours between meals. 1,5 bottles of kombucha. 

M3. Beef sausage and assorted steamed veggies. Lots of almonds :(    

Staying at Js. He has been weird after me meeting his friends and going out with them on Saturday. I am feeling mild anxiety in general lately, but I am dealing with it alright I think. 

Day 26. Monday. 

Almost there. Ok sleep, feel somewhat rested. I am tired emotionally, but this is something no wh30 can fix.

M0. Espresso at J's.  

M1. Stopped by at home on my way to work and steamed broccoli/cooked sausage. Coffee with cc. 

M2. You guessed it - beef sausage and brussel sprouts/summer squash. 1/2 mango kombucha. 

M3. Chicken sausage (wildly diverse menu I know) and kale. 

Theater with Mom after work. 

January is almost over, hard to believe!

I know, right? Funny how days drag in the beginning of wh30 and then BAM and it's day 27. 

Yea, day 27. Tuesday. 

Small update from last night. Ate a nked cashew cookie bar and a decaf while waiting for Mom. Great play by Sherwood (Pulitzer prize for drama). Staying at my parents the entire week. Slept alright and saw crazy dreams. No feeling of rest whatsoever. 

M1. Coffee with cc. Cold "fish marinade". It is very hard to explain, but it's some sort of a staple dish from my childhood. It consists of white fish, carrots, tomatoes (Momma made some without nightshades for me  :wub: ) and lots of spices like cloves. It is all mixed and is eaten cold. I can ask Mom for the recipe and post it, trust me it's insanely good. 

More coffee and 5 Brazil nuts. 

M2. Chicken sausage and summer squash. Maybe kombucha. 

I feel super grumpy and irritated. Kill all things at best. Yoga class at the new studio dt might help. If I make it till the evening. 

M3. TBD. 

This wh30 is almost over. It went by super fast. I am disappointed, I am not going to lie. I haven't reached ANY of my goals that I set in the beginning. Not one. I don't want this line to be discouraging to anyone new who might be reading. Do it, I still think it's amazing program. It's my 3d round and I guess either I am doing something wrong (former dieter screams "you eat too f***ing much that's why"), or my situation needs some crazy bio-hacking (#sarcasm) or my expectations are very unrealistic. I should look at this as an opportunity to finally accept myself the way I am, but seriously, I do not want to accept a grumpy sick gaining weight self. Period. Grgrgrggrgrgr. Sorry, I am just channeling positivity around myself today. 

P.S Also my skin on my hands is like sandpaper. No matter how much oil or handcream I use. WTF. 

I should look at this as an opportunity to finally accept myself the way I am.

this. please do this! You are awesome and amazing and beautiful, and I'm sorry you aren't seeing that at the moment. Body comp. changes might need to wait until you are fully recovered and can do more intensive exercise, but honestly I think you are in a great place. hello having a period  :D . this is a good healthy sign.

I agree with Miss Mary 1000%. You ARE awesome, amazing and beautiful.

I am empathetic.... I didn't achieve any of the *big* overt goals I had hoped for on this 3rd time around, like fat loss. BUT, I think I have made significant progress in several other more subtle goals, and that's what I am going to focus on.

You managed to stay on track during a brutal winter, in a new relationship, and while recovering from a foot injury. Credit where credit's due! 

Self-acceptance, yes!! It's hard not being hard on ourselves, isn't it?! 

WHAT A FIND.

II DID WHOLE 30 FOR THE FIRST TIME IN APRIL LAST YEAR AND DIDN'T SPEND THE TIME OR MAKE MUCH OF AN EFFORT TO EXPLORE THE MESSAGING GOING ON HERE.

YOURS IS EXTRA FUN READING AND THOUGH I'M NOT THE FOODIE YOU ARE ( YOUR WORDS) YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO CONVERT ME.

THANKS FOR THE INTERESTING READING TONIGHT.

WHOMEVER J IS , I'M THINKING HES FORTUNATE.

I feel you on the dry hands.  I dread the feeling of my skin catching on my clothes when I get dressed or on the bedsheets when I get into bed.  Awful, like fingernails on a chalkboard.

I'm sorry you haven't accomplished the goals you set out, but I am glad you can still see the benefits of the W30.  For some of us, the hard things - fat/weight loss, energy, etc. are just going to be more long term than 30 days.

this. please do this! You are awesome and amazing and beautiful, and I'm sorry you aren't seeing that at the moment. Body comp. changes might need to wait until you are fully recovered and can do more intensive exercise, but honestly I think you are in a great place. hello having a period  :D . this is a good healthy sign.

Address I send the check for the therapy services  -_- Side effect of wh30 - extreme increase in awareness about oneself. Learning to handle this. Thank you, M :wub:  

I agree with Miss Mary 1000%. You ARE awesome, amazing and beautiful.

I am empathetic.... I didn't achieve any of the *big* overt goals I had hoped for on this 3rd time around, like fat loss. BUT, I think I have made significant progress in several other more subtle goals, and that's what I am going to focus on.

You managed to stay on track during a brutal winter, in a new relationship, and while recovering from a foot injury. Credit where credit's due! 

Self-acceptance, yes!! It's hard not being hard on ourselves, isn't it?! 

It is the hardest thing to do ever. Maybe after bearing a child. I haven't accomplished any of the above :D  

WHAT A FIND.

II DID WHOLE 30 FOR THE FIRST TIME IN APRIL LAST YEAR AND DIDN'T SPEND THE TIME OR MAKE MUCH OF AN EFFORT TO EXPLORE THE MESSAGING GOING ON HERE.

YOURS IS EXTRA FUN READING AND THOUGH I'M NOT THE FOODIE YOU ARE ( YOUR WORDS) YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO CONVERT ME.

THANKS FOR THE INTERESTING READING TONIGHT.

WHOMEVER J IS , I'M THINKING HES FORTUNATE.

Glad you liked my rambling here. Yeah great community here. I remember cooking complex and cool meals, especially first time, obviously. This time around mixing a dressing for the salad seems like a chore. Uhmmm. I do have several cool cookbooks that are waiting for me to put my hands on. 

I feel you on the dry hands.  I dread the feeling of my skin catching on my clothes when I get dressed or on the bedsheets when I get into bed.  Awful, like fingernails on a chalkboard.

I'm sorry you haven't accomplished the goals you set out, but I am glad you can still see the benefits of the W30.  For some of us, the hard things - fat/weight loss, energy, etc. are just going to be more long term than 30 days.

Or when you put on tights! Terrible. I was applying coconut oil and puting on gloves for the night. It has improved the situation somewhat. I read that this is actually a sign of low-ish thyroid or at least hormonal. 

Re longer than 3o days. It's been a year (Jan 2013 first whole30) and a wild ride since even though I am compliant 90% since. I am a complicated case apparently or just missing the obvious. Whatever it is - onward to better health (mental first).

Day 27 UPD. 

Was kind of hungry by 4. Ate several tablespoons of tahini. Yum and hello breakouts within 15 min. I have learned by trying multiple times that I shouldn't eat it. 

Went to check out new yoga studio 5 min walk from my apartment. As expected, it is gorgeous. Hello fancy downtown neighborhood.  So much light! Amazing lounge with teas and an infra red sauna free for members. I will buy monthly membership and will go every other morning upon my return. I feel like it. 

YogaRoom2_zps28b7cc1a.jpg

Now, the funny story. Class is at the starting stage (= everyone is stiff), we are all in downward dog and we need to press heels to the ground. Oooobviously my left foot is not going there. Instructor guides us through the sequence - press down - extend leg up - go on the balls of the other foot. Out of all the people in the room he has chosen me to demonstrate it. He appeared out of nowhere from behind, took my foot and started to press it down. He didn't get the clue to stop by my doubled in size eyes. So he was holding my foot pushing it up and down. I was caught off guard completely and I didn't want to freak him/ppl around out. What do I do? Yell - don't touch my broken foot?! I know I should have told him prior the class, but there were so many ppl what were the odds. I always find a way to get into a ridiculous situation like this. Class was low key but I felt deep stretching everywhere. 

f70296cb-679b-44ad-a4c7-1323686399db_zps

M3. Pumpkin soup (with celery and bacon), cauliflower and duck with rosemary and prunes by amazing Chef aka Daddy. What have I done, I turned them into foodies  :P Eggs with salted duck breasts for breakfast (cognac and portwine in the recipe prevented me to try them aaaaa), anyone? That's what they had today. Several handfuls of cashews. Again, cashews are the most offending nut to me. Why do I eat them anyways? Glue to my poor tummy.

Movies with a friend. Got home super late. Didn't sleep well, but I am having emotional issues (J related) and I have been one big clinical case of anxiety. Bring on the interns. I am dealing with it. I am happy I am dealing with it by NOT stuffing myself with chocolate cake. Mmmm. Now I want chocolate.  

Day 28. Wednesday. 

So sleep deprived. I am super puffy too again. Possibly PMS or nuts/seeds, or whatnot. I had to take the watches off as they were too tight on the wrist.

M1. Pork chop and roasted broccoli. Coffee and more coffee. 

M2. Back to sad microwaved meals. Scallops, brussel sprouts, kale and a summer squash. Couple tablespoons of tahini. I need to finish the pack  :ph34r: What I really need is to stop eating it forever. 

Mild headache after. Walk and kombucha at lunch. 

M3. Brussel sprouts and scallops. 

Yoga class and opera after work. 

As an instructor I would want to know that what I was doing to help correct was actually making things worse. Always speak up for yourself especially when you have an injury. Now that I have my own class I'm asking them to let me know if they have specific injuries/pains that I need to instruct around. 

Hope you get some good sleep tonight and enjoy the opera.

Spanx tights plus lotioned legs makes for a great workout!   :rolleyes:   I should really do the glove thing at night, my poor hands.

I hope you enjoyed the yoga and opera.  That new yoga studio looks amazing.  And ouch to the instructor.  I guess you'll be letting them know from now on.

Haha, yeah, lesson learned. I told the new instructor about my foot right away last night. She was a lot of fun, I liked her. Interesting sequences, little "educational" speech prior the class about the focus on presence with a funny example about her eating Big Mac and owning the choice, feeling gross and dealing with consequences. "So today, we are doing twists, obviously, as I need to get get rid of this bomb". So gross and funny. Specific humor that's for sure. 

Opera was mindblowing. I think I like Cosi Fan Tutte more than any opera by Mozart. 

Day 29. Thursday. 

5 hours of sleep which is, sadly enough, is my new norm. All from stress and late night coffee (I was tired and opera can be a bit of snoozing at times). 

M1. Pork chop and broccoli. Coffee with cc. 

M2. Got to my desk late (7 hours after M1) - starrrrving. My tummy was hurting and still is even after a meal. Should not let it happen again. So I ate several brussel sprouts, a bag of carrots (oooooooops stop freaking out Nadia it's only carrots) and half of a big cucumber with remains of tahini. Large piece of smoked salmon (5 oz?) with 1/2 small avocado. Too freaking much freaking food. 

M3. TBD. Smth compliant. 

Goal - sleep well tonight. I seriously doubt that my emotional state will let me. Maybe I'll buy melatonin....

UPD. Emotional stuff has cleared. Phew. 

M3. Starch feast and a little freak out. Whole little sweet potato, pork chop with fig tapenad and chunks of papaya. Handful of cashews. Filmed a video for my Grandad for his birthday and edited it till late at night. 

Day whaaaaaat? Day 30!!!!

Chocolate here I come. Justkiddingnotreally. 

M1. Pork chop with tapenad. Coffee and coffee. 

M2. Cauliflower and scallops. Or smth of a sort. 

M3. TBD. Same stuff. Maybe a kombucha. 

Sleep: you get it, none. Wide awake at 5-30 am. 

Tummy: bloated and super tender. 

Activity: possibly yoga and definitely silks class. I have the most wicked new tights (5$ yahoo). 

Random: it's warm here and my vacations are in less than a week. And I have 3 new pair of shoes. Clearance is not a justification to hoarder stuff, Nadia. What is wrong with you. But seriously, HOW can you leave a handmade oxblood Italian shoes worth couple hundred bucks with the 30$ price tag on the shelf???   :ph34r:

Overall: I am a bit confused and have mixed feelings about this whole30. Nothing is going to change in my daily routine, actually. No real reintro. Almost no starch/fruit/nuts (work in progress) or stupid tahini. Just want to debloat before going away. Is that too much to ask? 

Cheers, folks! Thanks for following another "exciting" month of my life. You are such an awesome crowd. 

afc76c22-71ad-480f-aeab-f50458516b97_zps

If I wait too long to eat, some days I never recover, I could eat everything in sight.

Glad to hear emotional stuff has cleared.

Hopefully you will be able to get some relaxation and sleep while on your vacation.  I'm jealous, you are going to have a blast!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Naaaaaaaaaaaaadeeeeeeeeeeeyaaaaaaaaa!!  I've missed you. Glad to see you still here and having finished W30 numero trois. Yeah, I just did that. I'm toying with getting back on the wagon for another W30 in March, but only to slay the sugar dragon. I'm a little worried about the necessary food obsession that comes with it, especially because I've miraculously arrived at a forgiving place with myself about food.

Anyway, just wanted to say Hey girl, hey! xoxoxoxo

Archived