Really dumb question - sardines?

lilypad

Do you just open the can and eat them right out of the can, or do you have to do something to them?

I told you it was dumb - I just have no idea and for some reason find them to be incredibly intimidating.

• 3 weeks later...

Dang...I just wrote up my Whole 30 top 10 staples and completely forgot about sardines...

Do they taste fishy? Usually, yes...but some brands are fishier-tasting than others. The best brand of plain sardines (in water) I liked was Brunswick. Theirs were pretty hefty in size too compared to others.

I ended up eating more kippers than sardines though. Kippers are smoked herring and taste great on top of scrambled eggs. They were my breakfast meat substitute (for bacon) during my Whole 30. I also liked Trader Joe's smoked trout but it's a little pricey.

I tried smoked oysters once. They were okay taste-wise but I wasn't keen on the texture.

• 4 weeks later...

IMO, the two big things to pay attention to are whether they've been skinned & boned and what they're packed in.

Bones are super high in calcium, but the skin is fishier. Toss up depending on your tolerance for fishy tasting fish.

Fish packed in unsalted water are the mildest tasting. Many people like the ones canned in tomato sauce, though I don't. I like the olive oil ones, especially smoked ones. And the soybean oil ones aren't likely to be eaten by anybody here, but they're ICKY ICKY ICKY. I don't know if there are other options.

I used to eat them plain on crackers, but I haven't thought of what else to eat them on, so they're gathering dust in my closet!

Hi Sandra!

I used to love eating my tuna on crackers, and I've made a really simple switch! I now make cucumber 'crackers' (just sliced cucumber rounds) they don't have a strong flavour, but they still give you a satisfying crunch. Sometimes I'll sprinkle salt & pepper on them to 'spice' it up and make it more cracker-like. Try it and see if you like it.

I like mine with guacamole and lemon juice, salt & pepper if needed.

I'm going to try to start eating them daily since im concerned about my calcium intake. I dont eat enough dark leafy greens or dried herbs to get above 500g, nor am i much interested in bone broth.

Yes, they're supposed to have bones AND you're supposed to eat them! They're not like the bones you find in other fish, the ones that are removed when filleting. They're kind of soft in that they don't really crunch (much). The bones are a big reason why sardines are considered a good source of calcium. Give 'em another shot! :)

And while I'm here, I'm happy to report that Trader Joe's smoked herring is pretty damn good...you get two meaty, hefty pieces.

ETA: Trader Joe's smoked herring is packed in canola oil, which (I believe) isn't Whole-30 compliant. Sorry...

If the bones freak you out, you can put the sardines in a bowl and mash them up with some avocado and even add onions, cucumber, hard boiled egg, evoo, lemon juice or balsamic vinegar and stir it all up into a sort of salad. This would be awesome on the cucumber "crackers" mention above or on top of a salad or rolled up in a lettuce leaf -- or straight from the bowl. You won't be able to tell there are bones in there and you'll still get the nutritional benefits from eating them.

I've tried a lot of varieties of sardines, and by far my favorite is Wild Planet wild sardines packed in extra virgin olive oil. You can find them at Whole Foods and some other places. The taste is way better than most other brands I've tried.

• 1 year later...

If the bones freak you out, you can put the sardines in a bowl and mash them up with some avocado and even add onions, cucumber, hard boiled egg, evoo, lemon juice or balsamic vinegar and stir it all up into a sort of salad. This would be awesome on the cucumber "crackers" mention above or on top of a salad or rolled up in a lettuce leaf -- or straight from the bowl. You won't be able to tell there are bones in there and you'll still get the nutritional benefits from eating them.

I know this is an old post, but having just started the Whole 30 today, I have to say this is such great advice!  I've never eaten sardines before, but I had a package of Wild Planet ones in my cupboard for a rainy day.  I did what Tamra suggested and served the "spread" in lettuce leaves.  I also sliced up some kohlrabi and ate it on top of the slices.  It was a great way to mask the sardines!  Thank you!

• Moderators

I too was wary of the sardines, and they turned out to be a LIFESAVER on my Whole30. Not only do they actually, surprisingly taste quite good, they are the most portable protein out there.

I just eat it out of the can (sometimes I drain the liquid first) with a fork. My favorites are the Wild Planet sardines in water.

And yes, pairing it with avocado is quite a good suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Administrators

I bought kohlrabi the other day which is an amazing delivery vehicle for sardines, tuna, salmon, olive dip, babaganoush etc. They peel easily, are nearly flavourless but SUPER crunchy and they keep in the fridge forever!

ok, stayed late at sisters house trying to setup my mom's new printer. Had to fix an easy supper so made a salad and opened a can of Wild Planet sardines in olive oil... I will eat themfor the protein, but... really don't care for them. Guess I just have a preference for the mustard ones and these are smokey flavored. Oh well, now I know... :wacko:

I eat sardines for lunch at work, with any kind of salad/grated carrots/beetroots/mushrooms... and olives or avocado

Really easy to store in my desk!

I buy the ones in olive oil; depending on the brands the sardines can be small or bigger, personally I prefer the smaller ones!

Archived