Really dumb question - sardines?

lilypad

I am so glad somebody asked this, because I was also wondering how to eat the darned things!  Having my first can today as part of  Meal 1.  Any ideas on how to incorporate them into hot dishes?  Just use as you would tuna? 

Yes! I like cooked peppers, tomatoes, onion, garlic and sardines (or tuna)!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I like sardines in olive oil and everyone's different ways to eat them are all great suggestions! My favorite way is mashed and wrapped in nori with a little Tessemae's Hot Sauce! Delicious! 

Love this idea. I'm going to try it!

If the bones freak you out, you can put the sardines in a bowl and mash them up with some avocado and even add onions, cucumber, hard boiled egg, evoo, lemon juice or balsamic vinegar and stir it all up into a sort of salad. This would be awesome on the cucumber "crackers" mention above or on top of a salad or rolled up in a lettuce leaf -- or straight from the bowl. You won't be able to tell there are bones in there and you'll still get the nutritional benefits from eating them.

Glad I found this thread! I've read a lot about sardines and their benefits...bought my first two cans in olive oil the other day and finally tried them. They are disgusting! I couldn't get past the fishy-ness, the fact that they looked like whole mini fish, and that they were just there...whole fish that I was supposed to just...down? I threw out the can and got a bit freaked out....bad first experience. Seeing some of these ideas, I'm going to try to be brave and try them again...because I know they have so many benefits. Wish me luck! :wacko:

• 1 month later...

Not dumb because all sardines in mustard are not alike.   You still have to check the labels for cornstarch, etc.  Many of the sardines in mustard have corn starch.  We have to read every label until we're familiar.

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:53 AM

Corn in any form causes trouble for some people. One tablespoon of cornstarch in 4 pounds of chicken is enough to provoke a reaction in some people. Unfortunately, you can't know for sure whether you are sensitive to cornstarch until you have lived without it for 30 days and then reintroduced it. Just because you "feel fine" after consuming your friend's chicken is not a reliable indicator. So the issue is not psychological. It is based upon the reality of what it takes to complete a real elimination protocol. 

One approach you might take is to avoid reintroducing corn in any form until you have gone 30 days without consuming any. 

I just dip them in my own yellow mustard.  I've never bought them with the mustard sauce.  I don't like the thought of them swimming in mustard in a can. 

Another fishy thing I like is pickled herring but it looks like I will have to make that. So far, haven't found one that doesn't have wine or sugar.

Archived