US Wellness breakfast sausage

rachieleah

I know that bacon from US Wellness Meats is W30 compliant. What about their breakfast sausage?

The ingredients look compliant to me, however, it says on their website that their pigs are not fed 100% organic feed and they do eat grain and soy. I would think that since their bacon comes from the same pigs as the sausage that the sausage would be okay, but I just want to be sure before I order some. This comes from their website:

Raised in Missouri, our pigs are on a 100% vegetarian diet which does include corn and soy.  The pigs are never fed antibiotics or hormones and none of our pork products are processed with or include nitrates or nitrites.  Our pork products are also free of gluten and MSG! Ingredients: Natural pork, salt, rubbed sage, ground red pepper and black pepper

First, big picture: the whole30 does not have a requirement on the quality of meat you purchase: many people eat commodity meat on the program with great results. Although quality does make a difference, if you can not find or can not afford grass-fed beef, pastured pork, etc. just do the best you can and you will still be compliant with the program.

In the case of sausages and bacon, the thing you need to worry about most is the ingredients list. The ingredients you list are all compliant, so that sausage will work on the whole30.

As an aside: keep in mind that pork are not ruminants. While beef and lamb are best grass-fed, pigs can and should eat a more varied diet that may contain grain like corn. I don't love seeing soy in the mix, but it really is less of a big deal for a pig. I think the meats from US Wellness are pretty darn good compared to the norm.

Archived