Kate's Whole 30- I'm a Newbie!

katiemcp

Here I am on day #3 and I am loving it! I weaned off of most grain based carbs and purposefully cut back on sugars as well in December before I discovered Whole 30. One week of research and a couple emails back and forth with my brother (he's been long term paleo and lost a ton of weight and is so healthy now! ), and I jumped right in January first!

I am breastfeeding my 7 month old and 2.5 year old. I know from experience my supply is better with carbs but I am miserable eating pasta and such with tummy issues that are fairly unpleasant. I'm hoping for the weight loss benefits but I am mostly looking for relief from the tummy issues and from my really terrible (red and raw and sore) dry skin. (:

Day 1 and 2 were pretty easy, I did accidentally buy some nuts roasted in non compliant oil, oh well my husband'll just have to eat them. I tend to be really really good about sticking just to "my" food. I spent NYE home with the kids while hubby was at work, so I took advantage of the time to prep all sorts of food for the week: I roasted sweet potatoes and spaghetti squash, marinated chicken thighs in garlic and herbs and citrus zest (yum), and grilled some grass fed flank for dinner I had marinating in garlic, ginger, cilantro, lime, and olive oil, yum. I served it with snap peas and all sorts of veg sautéed in coconut oil with sesame seeds. Who needs Chinese Food Tradition on New Years when they're getting ready for whole 30!? (I did kill a couple generous glasses of chardonnay though, haha). So I woke up on Day 1 ready to roll!

Day 3 Going well, too! Had some upset tummy issues today, blech, but I think I'm past it. No headaches! Woot!

This morning I started the day with a banana and almond butter, not ideal but I hadto drive hubs to work in the snowstorm, gah. Decaf with coconut milk (canned organic). Late meal 1 was 2 eggs baked in avocado, with all sorts of veggies and sauteed greens (cooked in coconut oil). Meal 2 was ground grass fed beef with sauteed veggies and fresh made guacamole (veggies sauteed in ghee). Meal 3 will most likely be sauteed chicken thighs, spaghetti squash, more veg, and probably some sweet potato. Yum!

Whoawhoa whoa whoa.

Day 4. Kill all of the things. They arent kidding. I have been at like, defcon 1 all morning. My poor kids. My poor husband (wait, he might have deserved it.........joke!)

onthe brighter side of things my pants are looser every day. Sweet.

I posted about having really dry skin, I am hoping these healthy fats help, it hurts!!

Breakfast was scrambled eggs with spinach and sweet potato hash with onions and mushrooms. My 2 yr old and 7 month old have been happy little ducks with all the sweet potatoes getting served up here, my 7 yr old though is not impressed at all! Oh and I finally got over my fear of adding coconut oil to my coffee, it was suggested to help my skin, I thought I would hate it but I should've had faith!

Meal 2 is sauteed chicken thighs with yellow squash, red pepper, snap peas, and 1/2 avocado. I'm sucking wind on my water intake today andtrying to catch up.

Tonight I think I'll make a big batch of pork carnitas, I'll eat them with a bunch of greens, avocado or hm guac and I'll probably make some fresh salsa.

Oh!! And last night I found myself craving olive oil. No joke. I practically could taste the extra virgin olive oil in my mouth.

Also I am trying to brainstorm how I can keep up with the amount of groceries I am going to have to be buying to complete this...its gonna get a little expensive compared to what I usually spend but thats bc we've been relying so heavily on the SAD to pay off some things. Oh well, its gonna be worth it! (:

Sounds like you're moving right along. The olive oil craving made me smile. I envy you because I'm currently craving cupcakes and chocolate.

Groceries do get more expensive during the Whole30. It's no joke. But, there are some paleo blogs out there with suggestions on how to shop on a budget.

http://paleoonabudget.com/

http://thepaleomama.com/2013/10/30cheapmaindishpaleomeals/

http://www.paleoplan.com/2013/03-07/paleo-on-the-cheap/

These are just a few resources, but I'm sure there are many more out there. Hopefully they help!

Sounds like you're moving right along. The olive oil craving made me smile. I envy you because I'm currently craving cupcakes and chocolate.

Groceries do get more expensive during the Whole30. It's no joke. But, there are some paleo blogs out there with suggestions on how to shop on a budget.

http://paleoonabudget.com/

http://thepaleomama.com/2013/10/30cheapmaindishpaleomeals/

ft

http://www.paleoplan.com/2013/03-07/paleo-on-the-cheap/

These are just a few resources, but I'm sure there are many more out there. Hopefully they help!

Thank you! I will check these out! I think the cost will even out a bit once I get into the routine and can then have a plan for our meals, this week I made all my food and the kids' separately (and the hubs but he eats mostly at work)...after having a better idea of what I'llbe eating day to day I will be able to get us back on track and get the kids better in on how I am eating. (:

Day #5. Exhausted and on edge. This week has been really stressful and as much as i am trying to stsy positive, it is wearing on me mentally.

I took a nap on the couch when the little ones were snoozing. Phew. I made a salad for lunch and didnt finish it, blah, I just wanted sleep!

Breakfast was scrambled eggs with sauteed tomatoes and spinach, some avocado, coffee with coconut oil and coconut milk. It was all i could do to finish. I shared a banana with the kids in the car this morning and had my second cup of coffee (always decaf, i dont tolerate caffeine well at all!) This is a huge difference for me compared to a few weeks ago where I was drinking a pot of coffee every morning, all with lots and lots of fat free vanilla coffeemate (cringe) (but, yuummmmmm). I never imagined putting coconut oil in my coffee, let alone liking it! I think I'll try frothing the coconut milk one of these days, too. Because I can. (:

Pulled pork will be for dinner with greens, avocado, mango. And probably some veg.

I want bacon. I want sausage. (I just need to find some without sugar)

I woke up from my nap all groggy and weird, it'll be an early night tonight. My mom was over and she poured herself some wine and it looked so good! Ugghhhhhh I had two nice big glasses of cold water and nibbled some almonds and coconut and felt a bit better. At least she finished the last of the wine, haha.

Now that I am a few days in I think I will order some ingredients on Amazon, I waited until I knew that I would actually like some of the items, haha, so I am mm sure I can find better prices!

Day 6 was easy peasy.

Day 7, not so much. I was a train wreck. Certifiable, unhappy, stressed mommy, crying sloppy mess. It was a rough day with mommy. The baby has had a mystery fever, the toddler has been little miss cranky pants, my poor 7 yr old is just trying to be good and not get bored, and the hubs, well, he has turned in Peter Pan and seems like he cant, wont ever grow up. (; Needless to say, its been stressful around here lately and it looks like it might stay that way for a bit. I am trying really hard to be gentle to myself and the kiddos (hubs has been stirring up some drama, we'll get through it but, ugh). I seem to have unwittingly chosen one of the most stressful times ever in my family to have started the whole 30.

At least I am not stuffing my face with pasta and other empty carbs to get through the stress. (;

Day 8, half way through thd the day, I napped with the little ones and now we'll have lunch. I have all sorts of cooked chicken to use up, and some homemade tomato sauce, I think I might make a big chicken veggie stew. Yum.

Tonight the kids are having pizza so then I will have a yummy stew to have again at dinner.

Tomorrow the plan is to go through the fridge to use up all my extra veg leftover and then do a nice cook up again for the weekend.

Day 9, going much better so far than the past couple days. I worked today (every once in a while I pick up shifts in a bakery), and now I smell like cake and sugary frosting, lol. I feel like I am non compliant just by breathing in the stuff at work, ha. Planning a quick shop for this afternoon, I have been wishing for some chicken vegetable soup so I will be roasting up some whole chickens tonight.

m1 was scrambled eggs, with tomato, sweet potato and avocado (6am)

Snack was almonds, blueberries, unsweetened coconut, and a smallish banana (10am at work)

m2 was a tomato, vegetable stew with b/s chicken breast and avocado added to it (2 pm)

m3 I have no idea what I will make yet, haha

Oh!!! Today when my sister saw me, she said, "you're looking skinnier today!!" Wooooot! I dont know if she meant it or if she was just trying to encourage me, but who cares, it made my day!

Day 9, going much better so far than the past couple days. I worked today (every once in a while I pick up shifts in a bakery), and now I smell like cake and sugary frosting, lol. I feel like I am non compliant just by breathing in the stuff at work, ha. Planning a quick shop for this afternoon, I have been wishing for some chicken vegetable soup so I will be roasting up some whole chickens tonight.

m1 was scrambled eggs, with tomato, sweet potato and avocado (6am)

Snack was almonds, blueberries, unsweetened coconut, and a smallish banana (10am at work)

m2 was a tomato, vegetable stew with b/s chicken breast and avocado added to it (2 pm)

m3 I have no idea what I will make yet, haha

Oh!!! Today when my sister saw me, she said, "you're looking skinnier today!!" Wooooot! I dont know if she meant it or if she was just trying to encourage me, but who cares, it made my day!

Glad things are going better for you, and others are even starting to notice.

Your meals look good. Just be sure your snacks contain a protein and fat.  Limit your 1-2 daily servings of fruit to include with or immediately after meals.  

If you need a snack, it can also be an indication that the portion sizes of your earlier meals need to be bigger. May want to play around with your protein and veg portions.

Glad things are going better for you, and others are even starting to notice.

Your meals look good. Just be sure your snacks contain a protein and fat.  Limit your 1-2 daily servings of fruit to include with or immediately after meals.  

If you need a snack, it can also be an indication that the portion sizes of your earlier meals need to be bigger. May want to play around with your protein and veg portions.

Thanks, I will try to keep that in mind. I thought combining the almonds and coconut was a decent snack, but I can see how it may have been better to use a 'real' protein. I haven't needed a snack every day but a few times either midmorning (when lunch would be late), or in the early evening (trying to get kids settled from school and get dinner together), I've needed a nibble, so moving forward I will try to watch my meals and see if I need to change things! (:

Day 10. One-third of the way through!

Made another grocery store goof- I wanted something fast to make some soups and read all the labels on the organic stocks and I finally found some chicken and veggie stocks that were whole 30 AOK. Or so I thought! I double checked when I got home and yup, Organic Cane Sugar, right there on the label. Doh. Oh well, straight to the pantry for those ones, they can wait.

Its a soup kind of day for me:

Beef marrow bones are roasting away in the oven for a delicious beef stock, to be turned into a nice rich beef stew for dinner.

Butternut squash and carrots are simmering away on the stove for a soup for lunch, too! I'll finish it with coconut milk instead of stock, and eat it with some chicken for protein.

meal 1 was three eggs over easy, a small sweet potato, and sauteed greens, coffee with coconut oil and coconut milk.

Meal 2 will be the butternut squash/carrot soup (and I'll add a roasted chicken breast)

meal 3 will be vegetable beef stew. Hubs and the kids will eat it on top of mashed potatoes.

A yummy day. Need to make some more ghee/clarified butter, going to thaw some ground beef for beanless chili for the weekend, and I'll want to marinate some more chicken also.

So far this hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be. Eleven days ago I was really doubting myself and wondering if I could do this, today I'm feeling like I like it enough to do a whole 45 or more, haha. I'll see how I feel when I get closer to the 30 day mark, though (;

Thanks, I will try to keep that in mind. I thought combining the almonds and coconut was a decent snack, but I can see how it may have been better to use a 'real' protein. I haven't needed a snack every day but a few times either midmorning (when lunch would be late), or in the early evening (trying to get kids settled from school and get dinner together), I've needed a nibble, so moving forward I will try to watch my meals and see if I need to change things! (:

Yeah, almonds are considered a fat source on a Whole30.  So have something like eggs and almonds or chicken and coconut instead, for example.

Cheers!

So the hubs just called to say we (me and the kids) need to come to lunch at the new restaurant tomorrow, ugh. The owners still haven't done a meet and great with me and the kids but I was really really hoping to make it to February when I'd be off Whole30 before I would go! Oh well, tomorrow it is. The GREAT news is, they make all of their charcuterie, cure their own meats, its all from scratch, so with some studying I'll be able to piece together a meal! It looks so far like the olive plate and the charcuterie platter are (obvious) possibilities, just need to check if they use any sugars etc in their cures. And I'll maybe be able to finagle a grass fed skirt steak salad with an overeasy egg, as an option. I'm pretty sure his notes are here at home with basic ingredient breakdowns so I'll be able to make an order without totally butchering the menu in front of the owners and insulting the Executive Chef (my husband is Exec Sous Chef). Thankfully it will be lunch and the kids will be there so it wont be wierd if i dont have any wine. Wish me luck!

So the hubs just called to say we (me and the kids) need to come to lunch at the new restaurant tomorrow, ugh. The owners still haven't done a meet and great with me and the kids but I was really really hoping to make it to February when I'd be off Whole30 before I would go! Oh well, tomorrow it is. The GREAT news is, they make all of their charcuterie, cure their own meats, its all from scratch, so with some studying I'll be able to piece together a meal! It looks so far like the olive plate and the charcuterie platter are (obvious) possibilities, just need to check if they use any sugars etc in their cures. And I'll maybe be able to finagle a grass fed skirt steak salad with an overeasy egg, as an option. I'm pretty sure his notes are here at home with basic ingredient breakdowns so I'll be able to make an order without totally butchering the menu in front of the owners and insulting the Executive Chef (my husband is Exec Sous Chef). Thankfully it will be lunch and the kids will be there so it wont be wierd if i dont have any wine. Wish me luck!

Sooo, I did the best I could have done! What I thought was lunch and meet and greet turned into meet and greet and full on menu tasting. I managed to stick to the olives and cured meats like I had planned (house made sausages and pates). What I did have was amazing and after all this is done I am really looking forward to trying some other things (they have some wonderful local artisan cheeses I was dying to try but I resisted!) Hoping I didn't accidentally eat something non compliant but as far as I could tell, I did fine! Phew.

Day 12 down. I posted in the Starting Jan 1st forum that I woke up feeling horrible, I felt better after coffee and a shower but I hope I didn't accidentally eat something yesterday I shouldn't have. I was really careful though and they said everything was ok. I think I just am tired and worn out. It's been a very stressful couple of weeks. I thought I was getting mastitis a couple days ago but I seem to be doing okay today-which may have contributed to the crappiness today too. Either way I dont think I had enough dinner last night and I am thinking I am right on the line for today's meals too. Hmmmm. I have been keeping up with trying to have a big enough breakfast to make it to lunch/meal 3 without needing a snack, I have been doing okay but it used to be unheard of for me to be able to go from even eating at 6 am to 9 am without feeling like I was going to die because my blood sugar would have bottomed out. Its a nice feeling to be able to make it through the morning. I dont have it quite right yet but this is such an improvement. I need to figure out the right balance for the rest of the day, I think I should have added a small sweet potato to one meal, I will try it tomorrow. I think it depends on the baby and how much he is nursing, too. Hopefully by the 30 day mark I will have a good grasp on the balance. (:

meal 1 was scrambled eggs with all sorts of veg and avocado. Two decaf coconut milk and coconut oil lattes, it is Sunday, after all. (:

meal 2, sauteed cilantro chicken and veg

meal 3, chicken fajita filling on top of a big salad with avocado.

I was nibbly today, a few cashews here, a few blueberries there. Need to crack down and make sure if I do need the boost that I have proteins ready to go.

Archived