Finger foods for baby?

Dem

My little one loved sliced pears at that age. The skins are also soft enough you don't have to peel them. I used one of the apple slicers to cut them. She was also a big fan of sautéed onion slices, steamed green beans, pretty much anything. I would also give her chunks of chicken breast, slices of steak, and tilapia and let her masticate them to death with her gums. They were pretty much meat paste by the time she finished with them.

Maybe we can share ideas, my son is 8 months as well. He doesn't have any teeth yet and will only eat pureed food. So far I'm just blending up the meat veggies and fruits we've been eating. But he doesn't eat it as well as he did the store bought Gerber kind. I don't want to give up on feeding him fresh food but it's really frustrating right now.

Maybe we can share ideas, my son is 8 months as well. He doesn't have any teeth yet and will only eat pureed food. So far I'm just blending up the meat veggies and fruits we've been eating. But he doesn't eat it as well as he did the store bought Gerber kind. I don't want to give up on feeding him fresh food but it's really frustrating right now.

Check out the book Baby Led Weaning. We never did puréed food with my daughter. The only thing she got that was remotely like baby food was the baby cereal (yes, I know, bad Momma, but this was before I started researching and found paleo). She was still on formula also. I just gave her bits of whatever we had and let her gnaw away. Perhaps not surprisingly my grandmother was the most supportive of this method because she remembered before Gerber convinced everyone that babies can only eat mushy, bland food. As she actually ate more of the food, she took less and less formula. Oh, and Chloe didn't get her first tooth until she was ten months old. Their little gums are powerful enough to handle solid foods, even meat. Just put the food in front of him. He'll take interest.

my girl is a fan of canned pumpkin mixed with full fat coconut milk, pretty much any nut butter(no allergies here!) and basically any fresh fruit, though bananas are by far the favorite.  she also likes steamed carrots, broccoli, brussel sprouts, green peas, ect.  Proteins can be hit or miss sometimes but she does like liver pate and gnawing on any bone that she can get her hands on.  Amazingly enough she loves trying to get the marrow out of rib bones, just like her mommy lol

I did baby led weaning before I knew what it was! LOL! So finger foods for my girls ended up being what ever part of our dinner I thought they could handle! I wasn't afraid of spices either! We eat a lot of garlic and chili powder in our food, so that's what they are used to now. Check out the book French Kids Eat Everything. It's a great book and has some, to U.S. parents anyhow, revolutionary ideas on how and what kids eat! I don't have picky eaters, but I loved the book.

We're the same. I don't hold back on spices just because Chloe is going to eat it.

Baby led weaning, from what I've researched, is recommended by the World Health Organization and practiced in most countries but the U.S. I just smile and nod at my pediatrician's recommendations and then do my own research when it comes to how I feed Chloe.

We have been experimenting and so far they love frozen blueberries and big old chicken thigh bones. But baby boy will just put the food in his mouth and not swallow, then he gets frustrated and I have to dig it out of his mouth! Silly boy! He is the bigger of the two, and will nurse all night long.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't worry too much about the gagging. From what I learned their gag reflex is much farther foreword than ours, like halfway up the tongue. When they gag, nothing is remotely close to the back of their throat yet. It seems scarier than it really is. I got to the point where I would let Chloe gag and spit her food out. She learned what she could handle and to chew more that way. She was never close to choking. Gagging and choking are two entirely different things.

Some older babies (mine!) will make themselves gag...for fun? My daughter seems to be over that phase, but yikes!

She's currently 17 months old and her favorite finger food is freeze-dried bananas and mangoes. They're are crunchy, which she seems to appreciate, and they dissolve much like those puffs all babies seem to adore—but they're fruit and nothing else!

Archived