Skin Getting Drier and Drier?

So I am on day 3 and one of the big reasons I started the whole 30 was to see if I could help alleviate some of my dry skin issues. Obviously I am going to need to see what more time brings me but my skin is worse than it has been. A year ago I tried cutting gluten and saw some relief but I was very casual about it. Its not a classic blotchy eczema, its a very red, sore, itchy dry rashy type of dry skin on my forearms and in my elbows, hands, upper back/shoulders, shins and hips. I am really hoping that some of these healthy fats help but it seems as though my adjustment period might get worse beforeit gets better. ):

I cut out a fair amount of grain based carbs and sugar over December before discovering Whole 30 so it hasnt been too big of a shock going into this, and I use hypoallergenic lotion to help and my doctor only suggested a cortozine cream. Any ideas? I'm guessing I might have to just tough it out and hope I see change eventually! (: thanks!!

Have you tried rubbing coconut oil on the dry areas?  

And add coconut oil to your diet more. When I have it in my coffee, I find that my skin just looks so much better.  I'm off coffee right now and even with cooking with coconut oil, I'm not getting the safe results as I did from one tablespoon in my coffee every day.

Have you tried rubbing coconut oil on the dry areas?

And add coconut oil to your diet more. When I have it in my coffee, I find that my skin just looks so much better. I'm off coffee right now and even with cooking with coconut oil, I'm not getting the safe results as I did from one tablespoon in my coffee every day.

I'm pretty new to coconut oil for cooking but I have trued it on my skin. It does at least help with the itchiness but the underlying dry skin doesn't go away. (:

I hadnt thought of adding it to my coffee? I am alternating cooking with coconut oil and ghee for my cooking and adding avocado to most of my meals, but like I said, haven't really used coconut for cooking much before this. I did start using a good dose of coconut milk in my coffee (from a can, organic), but maybe I should try the oil. Hmmmm.

I know healthy fats and plenty of them are part of this but I also dont want to od on them and miss out on the weight loss benefits either, haha,

There is a lot of evidence that coconut oil actually helps with fat loss.  I think there is even a book, Eat Fat, Lose Fat, that details how it works.

thanks, I will check it out! I'm trying really hard to trust the eat fat = lose fat idea, sometimes the old 'rules' make me stumble! (; I think I'll be giving a bit more attention to trying more! (Even though I am not restricting and I am definitely cooking with ghee, coconut oil, and adding avocado too)

Just wait until you hit the render your own lard/tallow stage of this.  

It is a mind shift and a bit of an act of faith.  But it also helps to remember that the weight loss is a side-effect of the program, not the focus.  At least it does for me.  I'm working toward health and wellness and developing a healthy relationship with food so the cupcakes stop talking to me.  If that means I lose weight in the process, amen. If not, it will come with time.

Just wait until you hit the render your own lard/tallow stage of this.  

It is a mind shift and a bit of an act of faith.  But it also helps to remember that the weight loss is a side-effect of the program, not the focus.  At least it does for me.  I'm working toward health and wellness and developing a healthy relationship with food so the cupcakes stop talking to me.  If that means I lose weight in the process, amen. If not, it will come with time.

ha! My brother has been paleo for a couple years and I consulted him before starting my whole 30 and he said, "finally, someone tk make bavon with", meaning he has ordered the pork belly to make his own, lol. Thanks for the perspective! (:

Archived