Starting TODAY, January 3rd, already harder than I thought...

heidi_elise

Hello!

This is my first Whole30 and I just started this morning, January 3rd. I thought this would be easier!

I have already gone without dairy and gluten for the past year, and have been reducing grains over the past few months. But, I really over indulged over the holidays, my weight has started sneaking up, and my skin has been breaking out lately, so I thought it was time to reset my baseline and reintroduce some healthy habits.

My prediction is that sugar will be the hardest thing to cut out. I am a SUGAR FIEND!

Anyway, I am looking for some support and motivation as most of the people I have shared my plan with think I'm nuts. I really believe in clean eating though, and knowing myself I know I will need some community support to complete this successfully. Also, some recipe ideas and tips!

Thank you in advance for any supportive thoughts or encouraging words!

Hey! My name is Katie - sounds like we might be doing mirror Whole30s! I started on Jan 3 as well, having given up wheat/gluten about 18 months ago but slowly slipping into eating more grains, more highly-processed GF foods, and waaaay more desserts. Time to give my system a break, and to hit the reset button. :) 

Anyway, sending tons of support and motivation your way!! 

Yea!  I started on January 3rd too.  After eggs, tomatoes and avocado for breakfast, went shopping and spent $300 on Whole 30 food.  Started cooking last night and hope to continue through the weekend.  I'm planning to stock the fridge and freezer with lots of easy meals so I have no excuses at the end of a busy work day or when the kids/hubbie are eating junk.  Roasted a couple of organic chickens last night with carrots and brussel sprouts, all the bones simmering on the stove this morning … making some chocolate chili from Well Fed today along with some squash/apple soup (once my chicken stock is ready).  I dreamt last night that I cheated on some random child's leftover food in a restaurant … clearly processing my food motivations.  Good luck everyone!  We can rock at least 30 days of this.

• @Katie- Good luck! I'm sure we both can do it, but it is really going to take A LOT of planning and willpower. Going without sugar yesterday was really, really difficult

@LaraP- I also plan to spend the whole weekend prepping! I would like to have most stuff prepped and ready to go before getting home from work. Great idea on making chicken stock, I was going to search today for some whole30 approved chicken stock, but since it's the weekend I think I need to just bite the bullet and make my own! Can you share where you are finding all your recipes? (other than well fed, which I plan to buy but will probably have to wait for it to ship!) Where are you getting your freezer meal ideas, or are you just freezing single portions of leftovers? Thanks for sharing!!

@ the advanced members: thank you for the encouragement, I am feeling a little more hopeful now at the beginning of day #2. What is a meal template and where do I find it? Thanks :)

• @Katie- Good luck! I'm sure we both can do it, but it is really going to take A LOT of planning and willpower. Going without sugar yesterday was really, really difficult
  • @LaraP- I also plan to spend the whole weekend prepping! I would like to have most stuff prepped and ready to go before getting home from work. Great idea on making chicken stock, I was going to search today for some whole30 approved chicken stock, but since it's the weekend I think I need to just bite the bullet and make my own! Can you share where you are finding all your recipes? (other than well fed, which I plan to buy but will probably have to wait for it to ship!) Where are you getting your freezer meal ideas, or are you just freezing single portions of leftovers? Thanks for sharing!!
  • @ the advanced members: thank you for the encouragement, I am feeling a little more hopeful now at the beginning of day #2. What is a meal template and where do I find it? Thanks :)

A friend taught me to make chicken stock a few years ago, make it all the time and freeze it in batches so I can just take it out when I need it.  Last year I got an immersion blender and have been making roasted veggie soups all the time.  So easy, totally worth the cost.  I roast a bunch of stuff at once, then dump it in a pot with a batch of my chicken stock and blend away, then I add spices according to what I feel like.  Today I roasted 2 small butternut squash, 4 apples and 1 onion … threw them in the pot with a batch of stock, added some garlic powder, curry powder and salt to taste, froze half, keeping half for the week.

I just freeze in random containers, don't worry about portions … though at some point I need to upgrade to BPA free, one step at a time.  

Maybe that should be my party present when I finish the 30 days!

I am not so good at following recipes, just add things to taste … not so good for baking, but works fine for Whole 30.

Today/yesterday I have been making all stuff from Well Fed, chocolate chili is almost ready, smells sooooo good!!

I like her idea of cooking up veggies and protein in advance and then adding sauces, seasonings at night … but I need to find coconut amines to make her sunshine sauce, which sounds just amazing to me.  I also like the ideas at the back of It Starts With Food … going to make some curry for sure this week with some of my leftover chicken and some random veggies.  And I made some of the Avocado Dream dressing …. had it on pan fried steak for lunch today … it was soooo good.

A friend taught me to make chicken stock a few years ago, make it all the time and freeze it in batches so I can just take it out when I need it.  Last year I got an immersion blender and have been making roasted veggie soups all the time.  So easy, totally worth the cost.  I roast a bunch of stuff at once, then dump it in a pot with a batch of my chicken stock and blend away, then I add spices according to what I feel like.  Today I roasted 2 small butternut squash, 4 apples and 1 onion … threw them in the pot with a batch of stock, added some garlic powder, curry powder and salt to taste, froze half, keeping half for the week.

I just freeze in random containers, don't worry about portions … though at some point I need to upgrade to BPA free, one step at a time.  

Maybe that should be my party present when I finish the 30 days!

I am not so good at following recipes, just add things to taste … not so good for baking, but works fine for Whole 30.

Today/yesterday I have been making all stuff from Well Fed, chocolate chili is almost ready, smells sooooo good!!

I like her idea of cooking up veggies and protein in advance and then adding sauces, seasonings at night … but I need to find coconut amines to make her sunshine sauce, which sounds just amazing to me.  I also like the ideas at the back of It Starts With Food … going to make some curry for sure this week with some of my leftover chicken and some random veggies.  And I made some of the Avocado Dream dressing …. had it on pan fried steak for lunch today … it was soooo good.

Forgot to mention the stock … just throw a bunch of bones in a large pot of water with carrots, onions and celery, boil and then simmer for 4 hours … google chicken stock online and you will get better directions, you can add any herbs you like too.  I am sure some make it yummier than me, but I add all the spices later when I make it into other soups.

Archived