Challenge to eat meat in the daytime

RLW

I'm just a few days in on W30.

I find meat takes more energy to digest, and I am used to keeping things lighter during the part of the day that I have to work and exercise. Normally (pre w30) the animal products I eat at breakfast and lunch are eggs or goat cheese, with meat at dinner. If I did eat meat early in the day, it would be a small amount.

Prior to morning exercise I would normally have green juice and/or a piece of fruit. Yesterday I had salmon in the morning, which left me feeling very heavy through my exercise.

I also am used to eating more, smaller meals throughout the day. If I eat enough to satiate me for 5 hours, I feel overfull and sluggish for the first couple of hours.

I appreciate that it takes the body some time to adjust, but I'm back to work on Monday and need to not be dozy from meals! Any suggestions are appreciated.

You don't need to eat eggs for both breakfast and lunch. It really does help to stop thinking of them as breakfast, lunch and dinner too. The Meal 1, 2, & 3 concept makes it much easier to think about other options besides eggs for protien sources. I love leftovers for Meal 1 and Meal 2. Makes planning so much easier too!

You are making a lot of changes here, so it makes sense that it would take time to adjust. Some people find it helps to take digestive enzymes before meals until their body gets more accustomed to eating meat and fat. You may also want to take a look and the timing/sequence of your eating. I can't tolerate a full meal before my workout, for example, so I have a single hardboiled egg alongside an espresso before my workout and wait until after to eat meal #1.

If you are still struggling, I would suggest you prepare a meal according to the template for each meal (a palm-size of protein, a tumb-size of fat, 1-3 cups of veggies). Eat evenly around that plate of food until you feel full, then put it in a container in the fridge. When you get hungry for a snack, return to that meal and finish what you couldn't earlier. I suspect over time you would be able to reduce from five smaller meals, to four, then three. 

AND, as Colleen mentions, there is no need to always eat eggs for meal #1 - any protein source that is approved is fine for that meal and any other. I tend to eat eggs pretty much anytime (usually as extra protein/fat alongside other protein sources), but I love eggs, so that's just me  :)

Am I missing something, or is the only approved non-egg protein meat? Because that's what I'm not interested in eating upon rising or in the heat of the day. I don't see how calling last night's chops "meal 1" makes eating meat in the morning more palatable.

I had originally been thinking that I just needed to stick to the list of approved foods; the template meals are unappealng to me other than in the evening.

missmary, thanks for your suggestion. I will try preparing template meals, and storing/finishing it as a snack if need be.

If you are a vegetarian, meaning unwilling to eat meat at all, there is another version of the program that provides the best protein options for someone in that situation. It is not as good as following the regular whole30, but it is a "way in" so to speak for someone who can not follow the plan as written. If you want to go there, take a look at our vegetarian whole30 section of the board and get a copy of the vegetarian shopping list from the whole9 website.

All that said, I'm going to encourage you to work on including more protein (seafood and fish and poultry and red meat are all part of this) because I know--for me personally anyway--this way of eating has led to the best health I can remember. I'm not totally in perfect health, mind you, but I'm confident my food choices are making me as healthy as I can be at this moment in time. I can not say that of the years (15 at least) where I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian.

Here's an article you might find helpful, I've been meaning to post it for you: http://whole9life.com/2013/02/eating-meat-a-primer-for-the-meat-challenged-2/

Archived