home made ketchup-NO SUGAR ADDED!

Colleen Roy

I've tried a few variations on this recipe-my favorite is to skip the cinnamon and cloves and add horseradish and lemon for a cocktail sauce. YUM. I think it's compliant based on the ingredients, but wanted to make sure, since I've seen a lot NO comments when others ask about ketchup...

Ingredients

• 12 oz. tomato paste
  • 4 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 1 Tablespoon mustard
  • 1/4 cup+2 Tablespoons water
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Instructions

1. Combine all ingredients and whisk until combined. You may wish to blend in order to ensure the spices are evenly mixed throughout.
  2. It is best to let the ketchup sit together in the fridge for a couple of hours, or overnight, before serving so that the flavors blend together well.
  3. Store in an airtight container in fridge.

Notes

Check the ingredients of your tomato paste. The only item listed should be tomatoes.

http://www.spoonfulofsugarfree.com/2012/04/12/homemade-sugar-free-ketchup/

I'm a newbie but all the ingredients look perfectly acceptable and the recipe is EXACTLY what I've been looking for. I miss adding ketchup to my homemade mayo and stirring in diced pickles for my favorite dip/dressing. Thanks for posting!

• 2 months later...

Yay! Thank you. While I've gotten fairly creative with my first meal of the day, sometimes I've just wanted simple eggs with ketchup. But the last ketchup we bought wasn't our usual (I think the wrong bottle was grabbed) :( and has all kinds of stuff in it. If I had realized sooner Sooo would have taken it back. Our usual is an organic with super short ingredient list, but I honestly can't say whether it has sugar or not (man I hope not) but just in case, that recipe looks great, and easy.

This is really good! I made up a batch of beef/pork meatball mix and made some meatballs and some mini-meatloaves (in muffin pans). I put a spoonful of the ketchup in the middle of the meat-muffins and that worked nicely. Now snacking on the meatballs and dipping them in the ketchup. Yum! AND I can't wait to make some cocktail sauce for my shrimp!

Archived