First Whole 30 Fueled Workout - Felt Awful! It gets better, right?

Steph123

I'm struggling with running STILL on day 21. Ran 12km this morning at my worst pace yet and my legs were leaden the whole way through. I'm really finding it hard to eat anything beforehand as I normally run about 5:30am, but have been choking down some turkey and tahini. My energy levels through the days are ok, but I am used to LOVING my runs, even when they are tough. At the moment it is tough from the get go and stays tough the whole way through.

On the upside, when I get past the hour mark it seems to not get any worse... :)

I'm struggling with running STILL on day 21. Ran 12km this morning at my worst pace yet and my legs were leaden the whole way through. I'm really finding it hard to eat anything beforehand as I normally run about 5:30am, but have been choking down some turkey and tahini. My energy levels through the days are ok, but I am used to LOVING my runs, even when they are tough. At the moment it is tough from the get go and stays tough the whole way through.

On the upside, when I get past the hour mark it seems to not get any worse... :)

Are you eating enough overall? Are you eating enough starchy vegetables? 

I just did a half marathon on Saturday on day 27 and it went GREAT! I had an awful awful days 15-21. I couldn't workout most of those days my legs were wobbly and I had headaches. It was so discouraging! Then something clicked on day 22 and my workouts felt AWESOME! I ran with a friend during the half and had to wait for her a lot and then left her at mile 11 and "sprinted" the last two miles...uphill!  It felt so good! I had tweaked my diet...I had read people were eating sweet potatoes and bananas before workouts...I changed that to just hard boiled eggs.  I didn't know how that would work...but it did!  Glad I stuck with it.

@physibeth, I was eating sweet potato with virtually every meal for a while there, and just felt like I didn't have anything. Turned out I had a virus, was really low Saturday/Sunday/Monday, but I also think I just wasn't eating enough.

Things seem to be improving now, my overall energy feels much better, and I am really "in tune" with my body in a way I haven't been before. I can literally feel when I'm running low on fuel, and the difference between being full and being sated after a meal. Loving that!

I get that I need to eat more the day before and the day of a long run, and also that I MUST keep my fats and proteins up with all meals or I get fatigued. One of the things that happens is I get bored with cooking, or think "I can't be bothered" and then I eat less than I need or omit protein/fat, and then I cycle downwards. So I will continue to be meticulous about following the template.

These forums are brilliant, I always come away encouraged. Thanks!

Archived