Grab-and-go Breakfast

dovely

Make a big veg and " meat" fritata and slice it like a pie...pop a slice in the microwave on the way out the door

I like to pre stuff romain lettuce leaves ( think thin long taco) with chicken/tuna/egg salad and top with whatever veggies... It's cold but easy to eat ..

Anyway, if the goal is to reduce PUFA intake (a worthy one indeed), then it would seem that high oleic sunflower and high oleic safflower would be acceptable. 

Would love to learn more, though. Thanks!

You might want to read the chapter 9 in It Starts With Food. The Hartwigs touch on "high oleic" seed oils and my layperson summary is this: manufacturers are processing seed oils to make them look--on paper or on a chart--as if they are equal to oils that are naturally low in PUFAs. However, the way they process this oil (often with high heat) does not protect against oxidation (to which seed oils are particularly vulnerable) and it does not change the fact that these oils are high in Omega-6 as well.

Personally, I try to use more saturated fat than anything else (ghee, coconut oil)--especially when adding heat--but when I need a liquid for something like mayo, I will use two out of the three recommended above: avocado oil, macadamia nut oil; oils that are naturally low in PUFAs and cold pressed.

PS. You have a point about the lite olive oil. I've been leaning on avo and mac nut options for that reason as well.

Miss Mary is right, and this is why we don't recomment even "high oleic" versions as a rule. But when you're talking about making homemade mayo, you're already talking about imperfect choices--light olive oil versus a high oleic safflower or sunflower. (You simply cannot make mayo with EVOO, as the flavor is way too heavy, and I really don't like it with avocado oil either.) So if those are your choices, I'm okay with using a high oleic safflower/sunflower to make your mayo. It's probably six of one, half a dozen of the other, because most "light" olive oils aren't really olive oil anyway.

Melissa

So Melissa - does that mean that mayo should not be considered the best fat source? I really hate coconut and don't love avocado, so I've been using lots of mayo as my fat source at meals, but it sounds like maybe I should look again for alternatives. Thanks for the clarifications! (and sorry for the threadjack!)

• 2 weeks later...

I am so bummed I did not jump on the forum and notice this thread 2 days ago while meal planning week 1. Hubby and I start W30 Monday. I pulled out my paleo cookbooks (Well Fed, Make it Paleo, etc) and apparently over-planned meals. When we got out of the grocery store yesterday I had bought what I needed for the recipes I am planning (only cooking 3 days and planned leftovers other days), and some extra chicken to cook up to have on hand for salads, lettuce wraps, etc. It was a sizable bill, and when I put it all away all I could think is--I think I bought much more than I need. Oh well, I can vacuum seal and freeze meats if needed and freeze extra-leftovers. I will just rotate them out.

Anywho, the biggest issue for hubby and me is the need to grab breakfast and go--more him than me, thankfully. My issue is more of a, get up at 5, drink some hot tea (had gastric bypass 9-1/2 years ago, so this is a must for me every morning--tried not doing it the other day and was so nauseous it wasn't funny), shower (have to wait 15 mint after drinking to eat, so I may as well be productive), heat up food and eat, get dressed and made-up and get everything together, make my bulletproof coffee at the last minute before heading out the door and drink it on the way to work (I am supposed to wait 60 min after finishing eating to drink anything, and this timing works pretty well overall. Drive an hour to school and have class from 8:30-1:00 (in 6 weeks it will go till 4:15) and don't get a lunch. We get breaks, and can eat in class if needed, but we also have a hands on lab (PTA student). I was out of snack ideas which could hold me--and was overdependent on nuts. I am planning lunches I can eat in the car--but it is cold enough I am not a fan of that--or I get to eat lunch when I get home @2. From 6 to 2 is a long time to wait to eat, and I am simply too hungry to eat enough ( I know it sounds weird, but if I am over hungry I can hardly eat--WLS side effect) and end up grazing.

I could have saved a lot of time and frustration had I seen this first. Ugh! You can imagine food-wise, I can't wait until the second class kicks in and I actually get a 45 minute lunch break. We have a microwave off the lab we can use and we usually all sit together and talk while eating. At least I think I have enough food to still make some great snacks and be able to eat normally when I get home--will try and see--then have a later dinner. I found if I eat dinner @7 I don't get cravings or graze at night (a huge issue there).

• 2 weeks later...

I will agree with user SpinSpin over on the first page...   the breakfast casserole from Mark's Daily Apple has saved my fanny many mornings! Bake on Sunday night, cut into squares and package in a ziplock. Good cold but fantastic warm.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-breakfast-casserole/#axzz2pSK2YAcR

A few tips:

1. It DOES NOT taste like turnips!  It tastes like a hasbrown casserole made with white potatoes. (YUM!)

2. I used ground pork instead of expensive compliant sausage.

3. I added a few things: I sauteed a leek and a package of sliced mushrooms along with the pork. Added sliced green onions just before baking.

4. Doubled the number of eggs to 8 instead of 4.

5. Made it in a 9x13 pan instead of 8x8 (extra veggies made a larger batch.)

6. I only baked it for 45 minutes.  (His time listed is for baking from frozen.)

I will agree with user SpinSpin over on the first page...   the breakfast casserole from Mark's Daily Apple has saved my fanny many mornings! Bake on Sunday night, cut into squares and package in a ziplock. Good cold but fantastic warm.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-breakfast-casserole/#axzz2pSK2YAcR

A few tips:

1. It DOES NOT taste like turnips!  It tastes like a hasbrown casserole made with white potatoes. (YUM!)

2. I used ground pork instead of expensive compliant sausage.

3. I added a few things: I sauteed a leek and a package of sliced mushrooms along with the pork. Added sliced green onions just before baking.

4. Doubled the number of eggs to 8 instead of 4.

5. Made it in a 9x13 pan instead of 8x8 (extra veggies made a larger batch.)

6. I only baked it for 45 minutes.  (His time listed is for baking from frozen.)

This is one of my favorite breakfast recipes.

I don't like the taste of turnips, so I substitute half of a rutabaga instead.

I use grass-fed ground beef instead of sausage.

I do use the cooking time, but I take 5 minutes off each phase (rutabaga was getting a little too charred otherwise).

I'm planning to start my Whole30 on Monday, and am currently planning meals in preparation for a monster trip to the grocery store. I realize it's not optimal to eat at the desk, but the following things are absolutely impossible to change about my mornings:

1- I wake at 5 am and must leave at 5:30 to get on public transit. If I'm 45 seconds late, I miss the bus.

2- Why don't I get up earlier and cook something nutritious? Because I have a roommate who will not appreciate 4:30 am cooking sessions. (And because, isn't a 5 am wake time torture enough?)

3- When I get to work, I will have access to a fridge, a microwave, and a coffee pot.

I used to bring Weight Watchers frozen breakfasts with me on Mondays and have that with my coffee. Then, I moved to oatmeal and raisins, which left me hungry by 8:30 am. Then I tried various types of "protein bars" which had a better fat-to-protein-to-calorie ratio than the oatmeal, technically speaking, but I'm certain that introducing protein bars into my life was a mistake. They didn't have a ton of sugar, but clearly it was enough because my relationship with these bars was not healthy. They called to me in the night. Those protein bars are a big part of the reason I started looking into Whole30.

SO I said all that to say this:

What can I eat for breakfast that I can literally prepare the night before and grab on the way out the door?

I was thinking boiled eggs and this monkey salad that I saw here: http://goodcheapeats.com/2013/02/monkey-salad

And coffee, of course. Bulletproof or otherwise.

But then I realized I'm supposed to have veggies somehow?

How can I make this work? Any ideas?

Hi Dovely, I am in a similar position with my Dad having a heart attack with anyone around the house earlier than 6am. I have had a few attempts at hard boiled eggs, cold roast vegetables and some baby spinach. I am also excitedly browsing through all the posts for more ideas! 

• 2 weeks later...

Ktmo, although sunflower oil is ok on a whole30, it isn't recommended. Here's the scoop:

"Safflower/Sunflower Oil: Yesreluctantly (because sometimes, you have to dine out)

While we don't think vegetable oils are a healthy choice (understatement of the century), we don't expressly rule them out on the Whole30. If we did, you'd never be able to eat outside of your own kitchen, because all restaurants use them in cooking. We wanted to create the healthiest program possible, but we also need it to be do-able for those who travel for business or pleasure, or simply want to dine out during the month.

Tip: Eliminate the consumption of vegetable oils at home, even if you're not on the Whole30, and make sure the rest of your diet is focused on the most nutritious choices possible, especially if you dine out frequently.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.bUiNxmDz.dpuf"

Avocado oil, Macadamia nut oil and light Olive Oil are better choices.

Avocado oil is very delicous, but can be expensive for the volume you use. I just started using light olive oil and it tastes just fine and I was surprised. In my very early paleo days, I used extra virgin olive oil and it was AWFUL.  I was leary to try light olive oil until I couldn't face paying so much for avocado oil to use in mayo.  I prefer avocado oil to be used in my cooking.

For the grab and go breakfast, I will do a tuna, chicken or egg salad made night/day before, hard boiled eggs, or egg muffins along with whatever my fresh fruit or veggie choice will be.  Also, to keep from getting over-egged in breakfast, I will use leftovers as breakfast from dinner and then do the tuna or chicken salad for lunch.  Paleo mayo is one of the most delicious condiments and tastes better than anything you can buy on a store shelf BY FAR!  Its also my base for paleo (and now whole 30 compliant) dressings that are creamy.

Egg muffins. Essentially they are an omelette, but in muffin form. Easy to make ahead of time and you can mix it up so you don't get tired of the same variety. This morning I packed 2 muffins with chicken sausage links and out the door I went. I heated them up in the microwave at work and bam! breakfast in a jiffy. I also read that some people like eating them cold, I don't prefer that, but to each is own,. 

• 2 months later...

For those of you who do eggy muffins - how many do you eat for a breakfast portion? I had 12 eggs and 4.5 cups of veggies and compliant sausage and ate two this morning with a cup of carrots and was starving by lunch!

try adding some fat to it (ie smear with guacomole or avocado slices) - fills me up

• 2 weeks later...
  • Whole30 Certified Coach

@LouH - what did you bake them in so that they seem to have come out of the muffin tin so well?  I've stopped making egg muffins because it was always such a pain to clean the muffin tin!  I even tried the silicon cups but they were an equal pain to clean :)  I'm just lazy so I make mine in a casserole dish and cut it - but the muffins are so cute :)

The proscuitto egg muffins from Nom Nom are very easy, great to grab and go and delish!!! She has many great recipes but remember its a paleo and not a whole30 recipe site so you might need to adjust. For the latest version of these I pan friend mushrooms in ghee and added mixed spring lettuce. They were soooo good! Didn't last long as my non whole30 friends enjoyed them too!

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/7486819479/prosciutto-wrapped-mini-frittata-muffins

You are about to embark on this amazing journey. I'm only Day 16 but feel great!!! And to top it off I feel I am eating more and better food than ever - defiantly do not feel like I am missing out.

Sunday night I made a frittata with veggies and roasted a few sweet potatoes in coconut oil. I've been eating the frittata with avocado and salsa. So good....and easy to just grab & heat up in the morning.

@LouH - what did you bake them in so that they seem to have come out of the muffin tin so well?  I've stopped making egg muffins because it was always such a pain to clean the muffin tin!  I even tried the silicon cups but they were an equal pain to clean :)  I'm just lazy so I make mine in a casserole dish and cut it - but the muffins are so cute :)

I find parchment paper liners are the best!  For some reason they don't stick to anything.   

Some days I have to drive to work 3 hours away and I too leave at 5:30 in the morning! The other day, I roasted a chicken (I have also bought rotisserie chicken that is compliant-had to look really hard to find it). I had it in the fridge so that morning I just cut off some chicken portions, put them in a zip lock, grabbed some raw veggies (carrots, celery, cauliflower) and threw them in the zip lock too, made my coffee with a little coconut cream in it and ran out the door. I must confess I felt silly driving down the road eating cold chicken breast, but I had a great day and did not have that exhausted feeling at 5 pm.

you can steam any fresh veggie in a microwave, just chop to whatever size you like, add enough water to come halfway up the serving size and micro away!  most microwaves actually have a button that says 'fresh veggies'

Just a little tip... You shouldn't use a microwave to steam your veggies and you should most definitely not steam your veggies in water as it evaporates all of the nutrients. Microwaves aren't good to heat up food let alone cook something in it. you could put some water in a pot and get one of those veggie steamer things that sit in your pot and you put the veggies in that and make sure the water doesn't touch the veggies. :)

My favorite breakfasts are soups, and right now it's Melissa Joulwan's Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup.  Its so easy to make ahead and grab in the morning and re-heat at work.  I like to add leftover protein on top (leftover ground beef/turkey/chicken, pulled pork, etc.).  I am happy knowing I'm getting my vegetables and it's a warm satisfying breakfast.

Here is the recipe:

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/11/05/silky-gingered-zucchini-soup/

Archived