Salad dressing question

SimoneB

I made a really nice and big salad for lunch today but when I was mixing the dressing I added a bit too much sour taste into it (lime and vinegar). To counterbalance that I would normally use honey but since I can't right now I was wondering if you have an alternative that would get get rid of the sour taste. I could have added more oil but that wouldn't have done much to the flavor. The honey is normally also not used to make a really sweet dressing but it just complements the taste so to speak... :)

Any dressing tips are welcome,

I made a really nice and big salad for lunch today but when I was mixing the dressing I added a bit too much sour taste into it (lime and vinegar). To counterbalance that I would normally use honey but since I can't right now I was wondering if you have an alternative that would get get rid of the sour taste. I could have added more oil but that wouldn't have done much to the flavor. The honey is normally also not used to make a really sweet dressing but it just complements the taste so to speak... :)

Any dressing tips are welcome,

I usually just have oil and vinegar or oil and lemon on my salad, I have never added a sweetener. Have you tried orange juice? I know we are not supposed to drink it on the Whole30 but a TBS on your salad should be ok. 

According to Academie blog, you can fix sour tastes by adding either sugar or protein.  As they say:

"keep in mind that proteins will also neutralize lots of the sourness and acidity without adding the sweet (but you'll get other flavors depending on the source of the proteins). You can get proteins from glaces, stocks, creme or butter (a huge component of buerre blanc sauces). Keep in mind that proteins will add other flavors as well, so make sure you keep the big picture in mind."

I had that problem today with a vinaigrette I added to my sauted beet greens.  Too sour, so I added a tablespoon of ghee, gave it a stir, and it tasted MUCH more mellow.  I don't know if the above explanation is legit, but added the ghee worked for me. 

Anecdotal evidence FTW!

Archived