Chipotle?

LBrwk86

I just started my second Whole30 today and I'm super bummed because I left my lunch at home on the way out. I've heard that Chipotle has some decent meat, but it's all cooked in soybean oil except for the carnitas (pork). Has anyone ever eaten at Chipotle while being on the Whole30?

Any meal recommendations? I'm located in NYC but I've found that the delis around me have pretty gross options for meat and veggies as well and I'm certain that everything is cooked in some form of vegetable oil.

Thanks for any insight!

Lauren

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Lauren,

Let me just say that I personally LOVE me some chipotle! It can definitely come in handy when you are in a pinch for food away from home or you want to suggest a place to eat among friends who may not be as into healthy eating as you are. That being said, you are RIGHT, everything they cook is soybean oil based...even if you got the carnitas, the peppers and onions are still sauteed in soybean oil.

To avoid the soybean oil you could do the romaine lettuce, carnitas, guacamole, and pico. Double the meat and maybe even the guacamole too.

• 4 weeks later...

I am seriously so bummed about this. Day 8 and I forgot mylunch. So I went to Chipotle (thinking that it would be good) and got steak cubes, guac, romaine lettuce, pico and fajita veggies.

Do i have to start over now?

no you're ok. Most of chipotles ingredients are OK but they do cook in soybean oil. It's not optimal but it's an honest mistake i think you'll recover from without any issue. For future reference, their carnitas are the only option that does not use soybean oil.

• 1 month later...

So the fajita veggies are cooked in soybean oil too? Darn! I love Chipotle.

Also, salad and bowl are almost the same... but they put lettuce in the bottom of the salad and do not in the bowl. That's the only difference :)

OK so I always get carnitas anyway but what about the guacamole? What does it have in it? I ate it because I like avocado, but asked my friend who said they made their own guac and that it has some cream cheese or dairy in it? Also, are the salsas (without corn) OK?

• 1 month later...

This is what I noticed. Two separate times I went to chipotle w two different people... They loaded everything rice, beans, sour cream etc. I had carnitas, lettuce, guacamole and pico. They were feeling indegestion and overstuffed and I was feeling satifsfied and fine!

• 3 weeks later...

When it comes to the salad dressing, I don't see a point. Whenever I go to Chipotle, Qdoba, or Moe's, I almost ALWAYS order a salad without dressing. That's what the salsa is for, right? I love me some salsa verde- especially from Qdoba.

Nixing the beans will be tough as I usually double up on them, and I've never been a huge guac fan- fresh avocodo, yes, but not the guacamole. I suppose mixing it in with some meat, lettuce, and salsa will be different than just having some plain with tortilla chips though, so next time I go out for fast-food Mexican, I think I'll go for the guacamole as well.

• 4 months later...

Love the place it's my go to when out with friends and needing a place to eat. I get a salad with Carnitas, Mild and Hot salsa and extra lettuce on top. When I'm not Whole 30 I'll have a little cheese on it as well from time to time. Here''s my last pre Whole 30 stop while I was visiting NYC. 68917_551098837394_1490198202_n.jpg

Chipotle is my savior. I travel a lot and even in places where there are no Whole Foods or other 'health' markets within 50 miles, they have Chipotle. Honestly, once I had a carnitas salad for lunch and dinner...two days in a row! Eek!

I like the idea of extra lettuce on top because when you get it to go, some of that precious quac always sticks to the lid and we can't have that!

Day 17 and some coworkers convinced me to go to Chipotle (one of them is Paleo). I didn't really want to go because I had grout lunch from home but it sounded nice to get out of the school building and was something different. So I felt pretty good about the menu and ordered a burrito bowl with carnitas, pico, avocado, and :( fajita veggies. Boo! I didn't think about the veggies being cooked in soybean oil and am mad at myself for not checking. Lesson learned!

Just hoping the slip up doesn't cause tummy troubles.....ughhhhhh

• 1 month later...

Soybean and canola oil are so perverse in foods we don't cook at home. It's nearly unavoidable! That's why I try to limit my meals out and save up for the dank grass-fed meats. I was at Whole Foods today and most of the prepared food and meat had some combo of soy oil, soysauce, or expeller pressed canola oil. It's just a much cheaper alt. to EVOO. Thanks everyone for the useful info about Chipolte!

• 4 weeks later...

this sucks...i was going to go there for dinner tonight. I just started Whole30 today and now I'm lost as to what I want for dinner because I had NO intention on cooking tonight. I'll get in later due to grocery shopping. Normally when I go to Chipotle I get the veggie salad: peppers, guac, corn, dressing....but tonight i was going to 86 the corn....then I was like okay maybe I shouldnt get the dressing...but now I cant get the peppers.....geez!!! I tried the chicken and the beef and didnt like either....so I never get the meat...havent tried the carnitas but not sure if I even want to.........:-((

Plan B............this is when I normally slip up on my diet...........when my plan A fail.......

• 2 weeks later...

I live in the UK where we don't have Chipotle. We do have other Mexican chain restaurants though and today (day 5) I went for a naked burrito for lunch - I checked the descriptions on their site beforehand and everything sounded clean and fresh - so I had peppers & onions, chicken, pico de gallo, guacamole and lettuce with a squeeze of lime. I ate it and felt awful - a headache and my stomach was so unsettled. No idea what hidden nasty was in there but I know not to go back. Sad. I loved their burritos.

hey, y'all - I'm a Chipotle-lover as well, and when meals get boring at home or I just plain don't feel like cooking anymore, you can find me at Chipotle!! QUESTION: the carnitas are the only viable meat option for a Whole30 meal, but how are they cooked? I know they're not cooked in soybean oil, but did I miss a post about how they're cooked? thanks for any help w/this, y'all! "keep calm and Whole30 on."

Archived