HELP!!!! Protein?!

Hi all! I desperately need some opinions. I'm a vegetarian (that's not changing, so please don't respond with reasons to do so!); I eat dairy, but I have a very difficult time eating eggs so I might as well say they're not an option.

I've done a TON of research/reading (including the book's short section on vegetarians), but I still need help. The deal is I'm starting a Whole30 (for the second time) and am looking for advice on protein. FYI: I do crossfit 4 x week, and I have a lot of weight to lose.

The veg shopping list has organic tofu/tempeh on it, but I'm omitting soy for several reasons (which makes this even more difficult). So I think I'm left with only the yogurt, kefir, and the protein from some nuts, right? Upon further research, my understanding is that the protein in beans don't really act as protein your body... true?

Ok, I guess my question is: what do you recommend for getting enough complete protein excluding eggs and soy? Do you recommend eliminating beans totally and sticking with dairy, or vice versa, so that I'm only including one "forbidden" food group as opposed to two? If so, which is better?

Also, as per my (very health/nutrition savvy trainer), I will likely be having plain, organic, grassed whey protein powder to make up some protein deficits on a regular basis. I know this whole plan isn't exactly whole30, but I'm trying to do the best I can as a non changing vegetarian.

I would LOVE someone to help me figure out best protein, whether I should eliminate beans or dairy, and other ideas if I'm. Kissing any for getting enough complete protein to a) be healthy and B) recover from crossfit .

Thanks!!!!! :)

Leslie

Have you looked at the vegetarian shopping list?: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-veg-shopping-list.pdf

Although doing the whole30 as a vegetarian requires some compromises, it is still a huge improvement over a standard american (and most standard american vegetarian) diets. Take a look at the "good" "better" "best" recommendations for protein and see what you think. The vegetarian list does include plain whey protein powder (look for a grass-fed, organic one). By "properly prepared beans" they are referring to beans that have been soaked and rinsed before cooking. Here are some instructions for that: http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/why-you-must-soak-your-beans

Hi Miss Mary

Thanks for the reply! Yup, I'm familiar with the shopping list... I just had the questions lusted in my original post anyway given the details I shared :)

More Questions: I have pre cooked beans in a pouch (no can, BPA free packaging) that are organic and the only ingredients are the beans themselves and water. Do you think rinsing these would make them an ok option? It would make life so much easier!

And...

Does the yogurt have to be organic and grass fed? Greek yogurt has the mist protein (and was recommended for vegetarians by forum moderators), but I cannot find that ANYWHERE! I can find full day plain Greek yogurt. And I can find plain full fat organic grass fed yogurt. But I caNOT find plain, organic, grass fed GREEK yogurt! (and I think regular vs Greek is gross). Has anyone found it? I assume if moderators mentioned it, it exists somewhere lol? What are the rest of you eating for yogurt??

Leslie

ok, I'm glad you have the shopping list. To your question on one or more "forbidden foods" I think it would be best to take advantage of all of the options available to you on the list that also work for your personally (so leaving out the soy). Protein is important enough that having more than one source available is going to help out.

I'm sorry i have no idea on how the pouch beans are processed--maybe you could queiry the manufacturer? I do think beans freeze fairly well, so you might consider making a big batch and freezing it in the size portions you will need.

I don't eat yogurt, so I haven't looked very hard, but from what I understand, you are less likely to find organic/grass-fed full-fat plain greek yogurt than you will organic/grass-fed plain regular yogurt. For me, the organic/grass-fed/full-fat part would be much more important than the greek part, so I would go with that. You can make regular yogurt more like greek yogurt by straining it (just put the yogurt in a strainer over a bowl in the fridge for a while). The finished product will have more protein per volume (because it has less water. it's more "concentrated protein") and it's texture will be thicker like greek yogurt as well. Just don't strain it too long or you will have something like a soft cheese...unless you like that sort of thing  ;)

Thanks again! I just emailed the bean company to ask how they are processed :)

So it looks like Wallaby actually makes an organic, grass fed plain Greek yogurt... Just not full fat. Grrrr. But maybe that's still my best option aside from straining it on my own? My kefir is full fat... so if I alternate, would that be ok? Or is the low fat yogurt still not acceptable?

Leslie

Have you looked at the vegetarian shopping list?: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-veg-shopping-list.pdf

Although doing the whole30 as a vegetarian requires some compromises, it is still a huge improvement over a standard american (and most standard american vegetarian) diets. Take a look at the "good" "better" "best" recommendations for protein and see what you think. The vegetarian list does include plain whey protein powder (look for a grass-fed, organic one). By "properly prepared beans" they are referring to beans that have been soaked and rinsed before cooking. Here are some instructions for that: http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/why-you-must-soak-your-beans

Hey, missmary!

I was wondering if you have any idea of the correct dosage for whey protein powder?

I see it's recommended as a protein source for vegetarians (like me), but I'm not sure how much of it to take.

I'm not someone working out that much or doing strenght excercises regularly, but have a fairly active job (working at a restaurant 3 days a week, so I'm moving all the time there). Do you have any idea what's the correct amount to take, if everyday, etc? Or where can I find some information about this?

Thanks a lot beforehand!

I was wondering if you have any idea of the correct dosage for whey protein powder?

gosh, sorry I have no idea! The recommendation is 1-2 "palm-size" servings of protein at each meal, which might equate to 1-2 "single servings" as noted on the package?? You may have to experiment and see how you feel.

Archived