Palm oil as an ingredient?

justmary

I like to keep an emergency food stash in my purse, just in case I'm out and my blood sugar gets too low. One of the things I keep is Justin's Classic Almond Butter. I am actually not a huge fan of it (so not worried about it becoming a "snack" or swypo food), but it does the trick and is easily portable. However, the ingredients are dry roasted almonds and organic palm fruit oil. I haven't had any since I started my Whole30, and usually only have one once a week or so, but I'm wondering if the palm oil is even allowed? I did a search on the forum but couldn't find any mention. Thanks!

I think palm oil is allowed, but a mod may correct me on that. 

If you buy it in those little packets, Artisana also have nut butters in little packets (as well as coconut butter!) and I'm pretty sure they're pure nuts. Now if only someone will make little packets of coconut oil, I'll be sorted :)

• Moderators

There's a thread about this here: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/301-palm-oil/

The verdict is it's okay for Whole30.  But I second the suggestion of finding Artisana brand if you can, it is just nuts. And their cashew butter is amazing, although I can't buy it by the jar or I'll just sit and eat it with a spoon. But an occasional individual single serving packet is nice every now and then.

• 1 year later...

Archived