Riding my bike for life

On the Whole 30 I fealt awesome! However there was always a little voice in my head that said I was missing out on treats (ice cream, chocolate, candy, excessive fruit eating). I have a history of BED (Binge Eating Disorder) and though maybe the W30 would dissemble my neuropathways that make me binge- they were created by binging and reinforced by giving into a used to be habit of binging. However, after the W30, a piece of cake here, some candy on a special occasion there and I am hit again with cravings! Why did I give in?! Peer pressure ("you can't be super strict forever") and the belief that I could seriously walk away after one bite..... was that a big mistake?

I go to a movie, everyone has popcorn, I walk down my street, there are many people with ice cream or candy from the candy and ice cream shops that are across the street from my house! Talk about torture! Do you have any recommendations on how to "say no" after one bite or one scoop of ice cream? Oooor do I just ditch it altogether until the sugar dragon is slain and live W30 for a few months as this is probably what it is going to take!? Is there science to back this stuff up?!

This is a very complicated question but I would really appreciate everyone's feedback and guidance!

my 0.02:

you stated that you have a history of a binge eating disorder. So, you know right from the start some foods are problematic for you, right?

Look at this another way...if you were an alcoholic, would you have just one drink? If you were a cocaine addict, would you do just one line? If you can't stop after a bite or a small portion than food is still a problem for you. My best advice is to completely avoid whatever foods trigger your urge to binge, don't throw gasoline on a smoldering fire.

Keep with the W30, stay away from the trigger foods until you can honsetly say to yourself "no matter how good it tastes I will stop after one small portion". And if you get to that place and realize you can't stop after one small portion perhaps it is best not to consume those foods.

The reward pathways in our brains are very strongly wired, it's how we survived throughout time. We are driven to do things that make us feel good, those pathways can be very, very difficult to break. Be patient and relaize you are not the first (nor the last) person to struggle with this issue. However, you are now headed in the right direction so stay the course!

This is a really complicated question and I've been struggling with it since I started doing W30s (about a year and a half ago). I can't answer your science question, but I'll share some of my personal thoughts.

I think a lot about "what is special?" Is the regular Friday night popcorn at the movie theatre special? How about popcorn on a first date? but then will that popcorn become a habit? One thing that has worked for me is to identify, way in advance, times that are special. Thanksgiving Day (day) is special. The week of my birthday and my boyfriend's birthday (our birthdays' are exactly one week apart) is a special week. Our anniversary is special.

I also identify foods that are special (for me). In general, something homemade trumps something from the store. The doughnuts at work are not special. The cinnamon bread my boss made from scratch for those of us working on Christmas Day is. My mom's homemade cookies are special (and something I only see 1-2x a year).

The trap I see myself falling into is that anything at anytime can be "special." I've had a really hard day, I need something special. This was a really great day, I need something special. It's Friday! Time for something special! It's a hot day in July--let's eat something special! You see my point. While I do think everyday is special, I don't think they all need to be celebrated with food.

I know that I personally am an all-or-nothing person. I.e., I will eat all the ice cream, or no ice cream. There is no "one bite" for me. I keep that in mind as I decide whether to have one french fry, one piece of bread, etc.

I don't want to be "super strict forever" and I haven't, but I do want to move my average amount of sugar/gluten/dairy/alcohol down! I want to choose towards health more than I choose away from it.

hope this helps some.

Thanks for the input. I agree with identifying special events! I've decided I'm going to start a log on the forum and when I have time, start a blog for my next whole 30 adventures. I do have two special events coming up in the next two weeks - one of my best friend's going away party because she is leaving our firm and my going away party because I am leaving the firm! I anticipate some wine to be tossed around and this makes me nervous because it usually makes me drop the ball... A LOT. So, we will see how that goes. My plan is to limit myself to 2 glasses of wine over the course of the entire evening, getting to bed before 12. I would prefer getting to bed at 10 but my friends will not be too supportive on this- thoughts?

Thanks for starting this thread. This question is one I struggle with as well. I also have a history of disordered eating (primarily binging). I think a good first thing to look consider for yourself is what triggers the binging. For me it was extreme dieting coupled with stress and some other issues. When I eat a more balanced diet and take away the taboo of forbidden foods over time much of the binging has been alleviated. So the thought of a long term W30 would not help me overtime it might exacerbate my situation. See if you can figure out why the binging is happening. It may be triggered by certain foods but there is probably a deeper issue.......

From there I really agree with Emily and her post was a very relatable and inspirational for me. Finding that balance between special and remembering to treat yourself like you are special (choosing toward health)

I do have two special events coming up in the next two weeks - one of my best friend's going away party because she is leaving our firm and my going away party because I am leaving the firm! I anticipate some wine to be tossed around and this makes me nervous because it usually makes me drop the ball... A LOT.

What does dropping the ball look like or mean to you?

As important as it is to honor your diet decision, it is also important to learn to balance and be truly able to enjoy an occasion without fearing yourself. If you can't be trusted now then how can you coach yourself so that you can find that place where you can? I know that is my ultimate goal.

Thanks NLK- I agree with your perspective- learning to trust myself is my ultimate goal. "Dropping the ball" essentially looks like after a night of having more than 2 glasses of wine and picking at some non W30 foods (most likely appetizers) on the way home I stop at the candy store then continue to ravage my pantry. It's quite sad and I managed to not do this for the last 3-4 months but I also did not see my friends for the last 3-4 months because I avoided dinners and social scenarios.... which wasn't the answer either! So, I'm basically stuck back at square one... which is why I wrote that post...

I am with you on the struggle to eat out/socialize and keep compliant. No one I know even eats paleo, much less whole30 compliant. My own husband can't even seem to keep track of everything I'm not eating (he ordered an edamame app the other night while I was in the bathroom...).

That said, I have been trying to make plans with friends that involve activities that are not centered around eating. I invited some friends to a yoga class last week, and met up with another friend at a weekly running club. Went to the beach and was able to pack my own food/cooler. Don't know if that helps at all but might be someplace to start. I can relate with the disordered eating, as that's a problem I've struggled with for a while. I actually feel so much more in control now that I'm two weeks into my Whole30. I plan to eat like this the majority (like 95%) of the time, and on the occasions that I do splurge I will try to do it outside of my home so that I can't binge afterward.

That's a really good suggestion. I actually went to a lot of yoga classes and group fitness outings while on the W30 and still do! The problem is that my main group of girlfriends love to get together for dinner and wine, and I they definitely give me a hard time or get suspicious if I don't have "at least one glass" or am on some "strict diet". The feeling I had on W30 was amazing- I just noticed now that I'm off it I'm crazy again thinking about food and my sugar dragon is back only because it is in a sense allowed to be back now that I'm not strict W30! I CAN NEVER WIN.... can I?

Archived