Whole30 to ring in the New Year....

Julie Sassaman

Hey ArcheoGator! It's nice to have someone in the same neck of the woods! I'm in the NE part of town, not too far from downtown. Congrats on finishing a W30 and full steam ahead on the W100! That sounds so intimidating to me right now, although I secretly hope this W30 'accidentally' turns into W100! ;) Is it just me, or does Ocala seem to be quite slow into getting some of these more healthy foods available? I go the farmer's market and that helps, but it just doesn't seem like there is a lot out there in our community yet. Best wishes on your journey as well!

It is slow here, but growing in that regard. We have three farmers' markets - downtown, Magnolia, and Circle Square. Unfortunately, Purple Carrot seems to be a flop for whatever reason. We also have two CSAs, one in Citra that distributes at library headquarters and the other distributes at Penn Flooring. We have options for grass fed meats, but the prices would pay my mortgage. Ocala has its fair share of naysayers, but I really enjoy it here. If you like being outdoors, this is a nice place to be. Not to mention our central location allows us to get to so much within a couple hours.

We just do the best we can, and use a variety of stores. I am also getting into hunting this season, but no luck there yet. I do have two pigs in the freezer from trapping, though. 

A W100 still seems intimidating to me as well. I am doing it primarily for my type 1 diabetes management, and I am hoping a W100 will get me into doing more paleo afterward. I have a lot of obstacles to overcome, and am hoping 100 days ingrains a few habits that the 30 did not.

Perhaps yours could accidentally turn into 100. If we can just get away from the crap and the temptation that is out there, it would be a plus. Any results you get would definitely encourage you to keep going.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is slow here, but growing in that regard. We have three farmers' markets - downtown, Magnolia, and Circle Square. Unfortunately, Purple Carrot seems to be a flop for whatever reason. We also have two CSAs, one in Citra that distributes at library headquarters and the other distributes at Penn Flooring.

Two pigs in the freezer? You must be the only one in town with bacon that has no added sugar!! I do like how central we are to everything, but I wish I had researched the neighborhoods better before we moved down. Ours isn't too bad but all around us is, I just don't want to uproot the kids from school. I was wondering, could you give me more info about the CSA's I've read about them, but I'm just so new to things like that and I have heard they are spendy. I recall hearing about the one in Citra, but I had no idea about the one at Penn Flooring.

So, I had breakfast (good girl!!), then I didn't feel really hungry again until about 1:45 pm, at which point I made a quick chicken salad with a mayo recipe I found here. It is by far the best recipe I have come across. It tastes just like store mayo, only fresher! And the process is WAAAAAY easier than the drizzle method. Anyway, I added green onions, baby bell peppers, and celery to it and it was so good.Wrapped that yummy goodness up in lettuce leaves with a tomato slice and dug in! Now, being the girl that doesn't really like having breakfast, after two meals, by the time dinner came, I just wasn't really hungry. I thought about just going without, but I knew I would be starving later, so I finally went ahead and fried up a chicken breast in some ghee and had that over some sauteed kale. It was pretty darn good, but about half way through, I really just was not hungry, so I passed it over to my son. This is an area I am feeling a little conflicted in. We are supposed to be listening to our bodies, but we should be eating three meals a day. So, I am trying to compromise because I am sure my system is still out of wack, I am trying to eat three meals, but if I am eating it and I truly am not enjoying it because I don't feel good, then I will just trust my body.

As far as how I have felt today, well I could tell today was a much better day for me than yesterday was. I do still feel a bit bloated, but mostly I am just tired. I really need to try to get some sleep! So on that note, I bid goodnight to day 6 and tell day 7 to rock it with me! :)

Funny, I just got done slicing up five pounds of bacon that was smoked yesterday. It is interesting learning how to make it, between a couple library books and youtube. The freezer also has ribs, bratwurst, breakfast sausage, hams, loins, etc.

The two CSAs are http://cronescradleconserve.org/ in Citra. I have not used them as a CSA so I can not give my word on them, but I have been to their property. They have organic plants to sell if you want your own garden and a little farm store with various products. If you go, it is cash or check only; no plastic. The other is http://homegrownorganics.vpweb.com/. This is not a true CSA, but it is similar. Every two weeks, you get a box of 100% organic. If it is a problem to you, the food is not all local, and not even all U.S. I used this one, and Doreen at Penn Flooring was quite nice. Whenever I picked up a box, she would ask if I wanted to add more of my favorites from her extras pile. There is no obligation, and you let her know whether you want a box each of the two weeks. She also keeps a fridge full of grass fed meats and free range eggs. I stopped using this one because it is easier for me to shop farmer's markets to get exactly what we eat, rather than wondering what to do with the box when you get home (though this can lead to new recipes).

Congrats on day 6, week 1 is coming to a close.

Oh ArcheoGator, all that pork sounds amazing! Thanks for the links to the CSA's I will look into them. I too enjoy going to the farmer's market to pick out exactly what we want. It's not just the great fruit and vegetables though, I enjoy the experience, strolling through there and looking at everyone's crafts, meeting people, etc.

I can't believe it's been a week already! Time flies.....

I was able to get in 7 hours of sleep last night, but not the restful kind other people experience yet. My day will come. At least I got my 7 hour goal in! I'm still not very hungry, and I can't help but wonder if my digestion has just really slowed all of a sudden. I have so many years of bad eating, that I know it will take time for my tummy to heal. I will just continue to listen to my body. I was a little more groggy this morning when I first woke, but I was still ready to get out of bed. Although, I can't lie, I did linger under the covers just a little longer this morning because Antartica decided to vacation in Ocala last night! It is currently 28 degrees outside, but feels like 16! Much warmer than the rest of the country I suppose, but for Florida......BRRRRRRRRRRR! :blink: And can I just say.....DAY 7!! A week....already! This is awesome. Go me!!  :D 

Yes I love coconut aminos!! I wasn't sure about it at first but so glad I tried it!! I slept better last night than I have since starting the whole 30...laid in bed for almost an hour before I decided to get up, my puppy and I were just so warm under the blankets.. It is -20 here!! Yesterday it was -35!! Freezing!!! Today is my Day 4 and ready to rock it! Congrats on reaching your week 1...I can't wait until my week 1 is over with :) Keep on rockin group, we all can do this!!!

I absolutely love your positive attitude Kryztle! I think staying under the blankets in those conditions is totally justifiable! ;) You are obviously a little farther north than me, but us Floridians are still freezing with this cold snap.....we just aren't set up for weather this cold. Congrats on reaching your day 4! Your week 1 will be here before you know it, I still can't believe mine is already! The next 'new' thing I am trying as a result of being Paleo is the Red Boat fish sauce. I ordered some the other day, but it has not arrived yet. I keep reading about how it gives dishes that something. So I am hopeful. I just hope it really is a flavor enhancer, because if it makes everything taste like fish, it will not work for me! That is one of my regrets in life, that I just DO NOT like fish. I have tried it over and over again my entire life, and it's just not happening. I am ever hopeful though, so I will keep on trying it. :)

I had an early morning conference at my son's school this morning, and when I got home I started thinking to myself, I guess I better do this breakfast thing. Right about the same time I was thinking that, all of a sudden it dawned on me that I was actually hungry! And this is after my coffee with coconut milk in it! I am not even a little ashamed to admit that I did a happy dance right there in my kitchen! :) I had made a different batch of sausage last night so I had two flavors to choose from, and I fried those up with eggs again and accompanied them with some sauteed baby red bell peppers. As I relished every bite of my breakfast I realized that I neglected to jot down how much and what spices I had thrown in my sausage, which bummed me out a little because it was really, really good!

Another goal I have for this week is to get a plan together for next week so I can have a cooking day on Saturday or Sunday so that I am more prepared. My dreaded days 10-14 are coming up and I would be lying if I said it didn't make me a little nervous, even though I feel really confident this time around. I know I am not quite as prepared as I should be, so I really just want to take that off of the table as a possibilty for a slip-up. This is the most support I've had in all my attempts though (which is my own fault as far as these forums go! It was here before, I just wasn't utilizing it like I should have!), and it is really, really helping a lot! So thanks for coming on my journey with me guys and thanks for allowing me to join you on yours! Rock whatever day you may be on! :D

Stay warm Julie!

In my opinion, with fish sauce, less is more, if you know what I mean! 

I think you're doing ok with your food quantity if you just eat from the template (eat some veg and fat and protein at every meal) and listen to your hunger cues. I have a hard time knowing when I'm full, so my issue is the other way, I don't stop when I probably should.

But it's all a process, right? Not eating the confounding artificial "foods" and industrial oils that our bodies don't know what to do with will help. We'll eventually know when we're hungry, eat what we need, and stop eating when we don't need any more food. I hope, anyway!! I suspect that for me it will take much much longer than 30 days to get that down. 

Thanks misshannah, I'm trying! I think our high today is like 44 degrees, which probably sounds like a heatwave to someone in the north right now, but for us....brrrrrrrr.

Thanks for the tip on the fish sauce, I kinda figured I would have to start off small!

It is a process, definitely. And I am like you, I believe it will most assuredly take me more than 30 days to work it all out. But I figure I am TOTALLY worth it, so bring it on! :)

We love fish sauce.  We just realized ours ran out so we had to order more.  It doesn't taste anything like fish and the smell is totally crazy weird, but it grows on you - or at least it grew on us.  We often have it with curry dishes and use the recommended amount on the Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste jar.  It's one of the meals the entire family enjoys.  

Thanks so much for the input Emma! I didn't figure it tasted like fish, unless of course you used too much, but I wasn't sure because I had never used it before. I figured one of the bonuses of a Whole30 is the excitement of trying out new things though, so I am looking forward to trying it!

I got hungry for lunch a little earlier today! It was still kind of late for when we have dinner, so I opted to start with a small bowl of the chicken salad I had yesterday. To that I added a dash of sesame oil and a dash of coconut aminos.....WOW. Good stuff. I put it over a pile of lettuce and when I was done, I didn't feel hungry anymore! I kind of laughed at myself though because I haven't had it too bad with cravings this time around (which is great), but when I was stirring the oil and sauce into it I caught myself thinking, "Man, this would be so good on a piece of bread or a cracker." <_< Old habits die hard I guess! It has been a couple hours now, and I'm still not hungry, but I don't have that FULL feeling of slow digestion as much as I have either.

As an added note to my ever-growing list of goals, I realized today that I am soooooo not drinking enough water. Not even close. According to the recommendations I should be drinking around 152 oz. I get through around 70 oz. So that could definitely explain some of my digestive issues! Work in progress, right misshannah? ;)

I'm not sure where I got this recipe but let me tell you it is SOO good!! A must try if you haven't already :)

Skillet sweet potatoes

Heat up 2 tsp coconut oil

Dice sweet potato

Add to oil and stir to make sure they are all coated

1/2 tsp if sea salt and parsley

Cinnamon to taste

Sautéed about 20 min or so stirring occasionally. Make sure not to burn :)

This is my new favorite!!!! Oh I added onions and chives as an extra :)

Sweet potatoes is something I didn't really care for before, but since going Paleo, I have certainly learned to appreciate them. That does sound really good, I'll have to give it a shot, thanks for sharing!! :) One day when I was experimenting with sweet potatoes, I grated them added a little leftover taco meat, and then put a couple of fried eggs over it. I broke the yolks, and then mixed it up and it was like I had put a little 'gravy' over the potatoes!

So, the good news is, I did get hungry around dinner time, the bad news is I had to put off making it because I was trying to fix a problem with our business. When I got the problem fixed though, I made myself such a good chicken fajita salad. The other good thing is that it is almost 9pm my time and I am getting tired. I usually start to wake up around this time, so I am actually super-happy about being tired for a change! I can tell my body is still working stuff out, but I am feeling good about where I am at. This week has taught me a lot about myself, which I have desperately needed. This week has also showed me how great support is, because every one of you have helped in some way and it's really great to have people that you can share recipes with or even just chat with about the highs and lows and you just know they get it. So thanks! I hope you'll all stick around and that we will have much success together! :wub:

Here is a picture of my delicious salad! The creamy avocado dressing was perfect with it!

post-3281-0-27077400-1389146643_thumb.jp

Salad looks delicious and yes definitely try those potatoes and let me know what you think! Hey is there such a thing as over eating good fats?? I'm curious bc I am noticing I am using them a lot....well it's 9 here so I gonna try and get some sleep, I'm tired so that's good..first day back to work in the morning since being snowed in!

Good morning! My sleep wasn't all that great, but I still did manage to get around 7 hours again. And, when I woke up, I was hungry! As an added bonus, when I put on my jeans this morning, they were definitely 'roomier'. I tried on a pair that was a size down, and I could get them on again!! WOO HOO!!! Even though I could get them on, they were still a bit snug, so I will wait until my bloating subsides some more. Still, what a nice little victory to start off day 8!!

Kryztle, I think realistically, you can over eat anything, but I know that when people start this program for the first time, they tend to be so fat phobic that they think they are using WAY too much, when they are actually just fine (or even still not using enough!) As always, the first thing to do is listen to your body. If you are still hungry, chances are you're either still not eating enough or you're not consuming enough fats. I don't know if you have the W30 meal planning template, but it helped me learn where about I should be at and then I let my body do the rest. I hope this helps! Good luck getting back to the grind after that storm! :)

Archived