Whole30 to ring in the New Year....

Julie Sassaman

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok. So my blood pressure is clearly an issue, so I will be taking medicine for that and hopefully my new lifestyle will help me come off of them later. Also my thyroid is worse. My TSH is 47.5, and it should be 5. I have to take levothyroxine, which made me sick before, but those numbers are pretty bad, so I will do that for now until I can find a doctor that will help with it better. I stayed totally compliant, even though it was difficult and I was hungry. I just got home and all I can say is thank goodness for canned chicken, homemade mayo, and salad! I'm proud of myself, and I will remember this day if I'm having a hard time!

Some people will blame my new lifestyle for these ailments getting worse, but I say it's because of my new lifestyle I was able to catch them. HBP is known as the "silent killer" because people often have no symptoms until they are having a stroke or a heart attack. I really believe because of the better choices I was making, I was able to hear my body better and figure out that something just wasn't right.

So my Day 11 wasn't the best day, but I learned a lot about myself. Bring it on Day 12.....

I'm so sorry to hear this but so glad you caught it!!! My mom is blaming the whole 30 on me catching the swine flu!! I'm like really mom you can't get the flu from eating healthy!! People have no idea what they are talking about...so uneducated! Keep your head up beautiful! You got this!! Almost 2 weeks in the bag :)

Eeek - that all sounds scary, but way to go sticking to the healthy food.  I'm kind of amazed at how poorly I ate before I fell upon this entire world.  We always hear about needing to eat well, but I never really did until this last year.  It's going to take a lot of good eating to balance out my years of lousy eating.  Hopefully the medications and the healthy foods bring about some stability in your system so you can wean off the meds.  Day 12 - pretty dang cool to be this far!

Good morning W30 (or more) crowd! I wish I could say I was feeling better, and I guess I am just a little bit, but my thyroid will take a week or two to start working right again, if my medicine is right, that is. Knowing is half the battle I suppose. At least my blood pressure will get back under control now, and hopefully my new lifestyle will help some of my issues.

But the really good news is, I am typing this in a pair of pants that I have had put away for almost 2 years. The last time I fit in them was when I tried my first W30. Can you say HELL YEAH?!!!! I can see that my face is leaner as well. I can still see a little bit of puffiness though, so hopefully that will clear up soon! My skin is still dry, and I did up my fat intake a bit, but I know that dry skin is a side effect of hypothyroidism, so I'm trying to be a little cautious.

I had a pretty rough day yesterday, so I let myself indulge in sleep, I slept until 9:30 am, and didn't really get moving until about 11 am, so I just finished my M1, which was a sweet potato hash again. Trying to use those leftovers! Today was supposed to be my cooking day, but I didn't quite make it. So I will try to plan a menu tonight and maybe make my cook day a week day when all the kiddo's are at school. I can't believe it's been 12 days already.....

Hopefully the medications and the healthy foods bring about some stability in your system so you can wean off the meds.

Yes Emma! That is exactly what I am hoping for! Although I'm not as confident about the thyroid medication. That is usually a life-long therapy, but you never know, so I will definitely hope for that, but still be realistic about it.  The thing about yesterday was that my blood sugar was ok. That is such a victory for me. My whole family is diabetic. I do not want to be diabetic. I am 38 years old, my mom had a heart attack when she was 45. I do not want to have a heart attack ever, but especially that young. Even with all the 'bad' news yesterday, I am feeling really good about myself and I know I am making better choices. I can't lie though, I sure hope cheese is something I can tolerate after I am done with my W30+.

Thanks for all the awesome support I keep getting.....it really does help! :)

My meal tonight was two cubed steaks covered with grilled onions and peppers and a side of sauteéd kale. It was pretty darn good. I am finding that I really want something sweet tonight....darn sugar dragon. I finally admitted to myself that I am under quite a bit of stress, besides tackling this W30 and I need to be much nicer to myself than I have been! So tonight I am going to try to relax as much as I can. Tomorrow will hopefully be the end of some of my worry.

I am ready for Day 13.....

I had my blood tested last April when I had some knee problems and it came back with heightened inflammation in my system.  I didn't even know that was such a thing.  It's scary because it sets me up to follow the same path as some of my relatives.  I'm glad I'm no longer contributing to that inflammation and hope that over time that number decreases.  I want to be a healthy older person as well.

Nice that you took time to relax and keep things easy after a hard day.  That restorative sleep is more powerful than I'd ever realized.  All the best on DAY THIRTEEEEEEN!

My meal tonight was two cubed steaks covered with grilled onions and peppers and a side of sauteéd kale. It was pretty darn good. I am finding that I really want something sweet tonight....darn sugar dragon. I finally admitted to myself that I am under quite a bit of stress, besides tackling this W30 and I need to be much nicer to myself than I have been! So tonight I am going to try to relax as much as I can. Tomorrow will hopefully be the end of some of my worry.

I am ready for Day 13.....

When I read about your blood pressure on the previous page, that was totally my thought! Our complex systems have to deal with numerous stressors all day and night, and I don't think we really understand how critical it is to our health. Or, that is to say, how detrimental stress really is. I agree with Emma, keep trying for restorative sleep when possible, and I agree with your plan to be nice to yourself. 

What awesome news about your pants, keep on working, and look at this, you made it past the danger zone!!! 

Julie....you are doing amazing!!! I can not wait to start again! Hate that I have to start allover but I had to listen to my body and take these meds prescribed by Dr for swine flu! My fever finally broke 5 days later..and meds will be done next week. I'm gonna eat whole 30 now that I have an appetite but not record until the medicine is gone since I can't officially start until then anyways!! Keep up your good work girl!

Misshannah I'm glad you're back, I've missed you! I am feeling much better, although I do know it will take a bit for the medicine to start working on my thyroid. Today was definitely a test as I had to make a cake for my son's birthday party, and I have not yet tried incorporating complete Paleo into my house, so it is a homemade cake with sugar and butter and chocolate and OMG, I wanted to lick my fingers!! ;) I kept a wet paper towel next to me and literally wiped my fingers everytime I got something on them! I kicked that sugar dragon's a**!!

Sleep has always been such an issue for me, really bad sleep runs in my family. I am trying to go to bed earlier, which has in fact helped a little. I can't believe Day 13 is almost in the bag! I'm so excited! How have you been feeling? Better I hope, with better sleep yourself!

Kryztle I am so glad to hear your fever finally broke!! Thank you for the support, I feel pretty amazing! :) I don't know that it is 'tiger blood' yet. But that just means I have better things to look forward still on this journey! I can't wait for you to start again either, so I can tell you how awesome you are doing everyday! Take care of you though, get better, that swine flu is nasty!

Day 13.....Slayed the sugar dragon. My son's birthday: chocolate cake, ice cream, Hershey kisses. I wish I could say I didn't even want them, but I'm so not there yet. But, I did not eat them, and I did not cry about it, and I am still here! Take that Day 13!!!!

Today's meals:

M1 - Sausage & eggs

M2 - Hamburger with mayo, mustard, and grilled onions

M3 - Big taco salad, with spicy mayo pico de gallo dressing

See....I need more veggies. I'm not sure what it is, but my tummy is rumbling and I feel just a touch bloated. Other than that, I'm starting to feel better. Almost day 14!

It was STORMING here last night. I didn't sleep well and I woke up quite groggy. My husband is a truck driver and has a short load to do close to home, so I decided to test my wings and go with him for a few hours. I made some scrambled eggs w/ salsa. I took a banana and some coconut flakes, just in case. We should be back home by lunch. I can't believe I'm almost 1/2 way through!

Day 14, I can hardly believe it! I've officially made it farther than my other 3 attempts! I was a bit grouchy today, and I had ridiculously difficult times with cravings. Didn't matter what, fast food, candy, chips, peanuts, etc. If I saw it or smelled it, I WANTED it. <_< I stayed completely compliant though.

M2 was chicken salad with homemade mayo over a bed of salad

M3 was homesmoked chicken breast with only salt, pepper, and garlic powder as seasoning (it was so goooood) with sauteéd greenbeans with onion and garlic in olive oil.

I also had some coconut flakes and a banana today.

I am in definite need of a varied menu, but I am still ok. I plan to work on that over the next couple of days so that I can finish this as strong as I started! :)

Overall, I am still not feeling GREAT like some do by now, but I definitely feel BETTER. I hope all of my forum friends are rockin' their days!

Congrats on day 14! That storm was something, though today was a lot nicer than they predicted. Now we get ready for our couple days of cold. 

Keep this going. Half way is HUGE, and now it starts getting easier.

Also, keep that diabetes at bay. I'm type 1, so it is up to our medical field if I will ever see a cure. However, there are so many things I can do to improve my diabetes. For too long, I have ignored all of the scary complications. People occasionally tell me that what I eat must not be "fun," so I sometimes remind them that dialysis, heart disease, amputations, etc., are probably not "fun" either. Anyway, on day 14, I am starting to feel so good that this is worth it.

Thanks ArcheoGator! Congrats on your Day 14 as well! I can't believe I'm at the halfway mark!! I'm so so proud of myself!!

That storm was heavy, but the worst part is that our screened room is right outside our bedroom window - with a metal roof!

That comeback about dialysis, heart disease, and amputations is great! I definitely do not want diabetes. My dad worked in a dialysis center and he likened it to an end-stage cancer ward. And I see so many people that have it, and they just do not take care of themselves. And for the record, if people thought, like REALLY thought about how we eat, they would never say it's not fun. I mean it's so liberating to know you can go throw some nice, big steak on the grill, even plop some ghee on it, add a nice big side of veggies and call it a meal!

Day 15....half way there!!! I've never gotten this far before and I am beyond excited and proud of myself! My first meal was homemade sausage and eggs with orange slices. I feel pretty good today, just tired because I didn't sleep well, but I will work on that tonight! My husband bought me a Mother's ring for Christmas and to my dismay, I was so bloated, it was about a half size too small. Today, I put that ring on! It is honestly still a little snug, but it's wearable!!! :D

Day 15....half way there!!! I've never gotten this far before and I am beyond excited and proud of myself! My first meal was homemade sausage and eggs with orange slices. I feel pretty good today, just tired because I didn't sleep well, but I will work on that tonight! My husband bought me a Mother's ring for Christmas and to my dismay, I was so bloated, it was about a half size too small. Today, I put that ring on! It is honestly still a little snug, but it's wearable!!! :D

Congrats on hitting the halfway mark and on your progress!

Just a gentle reminder to not let fruit push veggies off your plate. Get 1-3 cups of vegetables in before you have fruit.

Thanks GFChris! I try not to eat too much fruit, but I have definitely been having a more difficult time incorporating veggies on this W30. I have been trying to add them into everything, but I still don't think I'm eating quite as much as I should. Thanks for looking out for us! It is a nice feeling to know someone has your back! :)

M3 I had some leftover smoked chicken breast and green beans. I had a small handful of walnuts too. I am pretty tired tonight. I really need to work on getting better sleep. I am really looking forward to tiger blood, but I am thinking it will take me just a bit longer to get there. I hope all my friends are doing well! :)

Good morning fellow Whole9 peeps! Today is my Day 16, just past the halfway point! My breakfast this morning was diced sweet potato, with onions, peppers, and taco meat, topped with eggs fried in ghee......Mmmmmmmmm. I also had a cup of coffee with some coconut milk. Now it's water for the rest of the day! A couple of small victories I noticed this morning: I fell asleep a little easier than normal and woke up easily at around 6am and even though I could have gotten out of bed right away, it is freezing here again, so I chose to snuggle longer and play with my iPad! The second victory is that I bit my nails for YEARS out of anxiety, so when I stopped a few years ago, my nails grew, but have always been paper-thin. Like I could bend them backwards thin! I just noticed this morning my nails are strong! There is no bending these babies backwards!! :)

Have a good day everyone!

My nails are stronger too!  The reason I bit them was because they were paper thin.  It's nice to think my body is finally absorbing some nutrients!!  Waking up and snuggling without a headache, an immediate coffee, or a grumble is a very nice sign of progress.  I'm finding that I can go longer in the morning before I need to make my tea.  As for vegetables, have you tried out spaghetti squash. My husband claims it's not really a vegetable, but I think it is and it fills me up and feels filling.  There's a spaghetti bolognese recipe in Practical Paleo that's good or just using it in lieu of spaghetti pasta and making up whatever appeals to you.  We also like it a lot for Phad Thai.  Unfortunately, our town has NO spaghetti squashes and hasn't for ages.  That's life in a rural area.  Super congratulations on the half way point.  It just gets better from here. (Not everything of course.  Life still manages to throw out some twists and curves and crabby coworkers, but internally, it gets better)

Archived