Whole30 to ring in the New Year....

Julie Sassaman

Yay for stronger nails and more nutrients! :) One of the things I have been working on is letting go of the guilt I feel for not jumping right out of bed everyday or not being as active as I should be. It will come with time. I have tried spaghetti squash, and I absolutely love it! One of the benefits of living in FL is definitely having more fresh produce all year round. I have lived in a rural community before, so I know exactly what you mean. Thanks for all of the support. I can honestly say that these support boards have been a huge part of my success so far! I only wish I had utilized them in my other attempts.

And as the mother of 4 young boys, I know all about life's curve balls!! But yes, it is definitely getting better internally! Congratulations on your own half way mark! It feels incredible internally AND mentally!! :D

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Julie! I have 3 days left on this medication!! I'm starting from scratch on Monday the 20th..be on the lookout for my topics :) I'm so excited to start again! Wish I never would jVe gotten sick though! Blah! So proud of you! Yay for strong nails!!

Thanks Kryztle! I will definitely be on the lookout for your posts girl! We will be glad to have you back!

My meal three tonight was cube steak topped with carmelized onions and kale chips. I was getting bored with some of my veggies, so I tried the chips and it was a delightful change, I loved them! I sprinkled them with some Essence and they were spicy and salty.

Today was uneventful as I really just wanted to chill. The kids are out of school until next Tuesday and my husband is back out on the road all booked up for the next week, so I took advantage of taking it easy. Tomorrow will likely be a big cleaning day. I am going to try and get my menu done tonight so I can have an official 'cook day' this weekend. I am looking forward to the challenge of the next couple of weeks. I am having pretty bad cravings off and on, but I have managed to keep them at bay!

Hope everyone had a great and successful day!

Well, I think I'm having a little bit of trouble sleeping again, which is probably from the medicine I'm taking. I was not able to fall asleep until 2am, and I woke around 9am. I will say that it felt like I slept soundly for the most part, which is a victory for me in and of itself! Hopefully it's just a temporary side effect. And I am still feeling kind of blah, even though I feel like I have energy. I'm sure this is a result of having hypothyroidism, but it sucks. I am on Day 17 though, and that definitely DOES NOT suck!  :)  Anyway, my M1 is a kale omelet, cooked in ghee. Have a great day everyone!

Just stopping by to tell you to keep it going! 

Personally, I enjoy this cooler weather, because I dread Florida summers. Even when I was younger and in shape, I always sweat so quickly. So, it is time for me to get outside.

I do hope your sleep stabilizes soon. That is such a huge part of all this.

Thanks ArcheoGator! I enjoy the cooler weather as well. It is a chance to light a cozy fire, stay in bed a few minutes longer, etc. :) Florida summers are definitely not much fun, but I do enjoy how much more sunshine we get down here compared to the NW.

I think my sleep will start to even out. I have noticed myself being tired more around 9pm, which is a switch for me. That's when I started waking up before I started this journey! I think having to start the thyroid medicine threw a kink in my progress, but I will overcome!

I hope things are moving along nicely for you on your W100! I still find myself with intense cravings sometimes. Like pizza. My goodness I want a slice of pizza! ;)

What do I want?  I know I want SOMEthing.  A beer.  That's what I want - a good hearty dark beer.  (Not right now in the morning time, but in the evenings I think that).  Or potstickers!  (I never even eat them, but I can smell them in my imagination and they smell divine).  Getting tired at nine is nice.  That's when we've started going to bed and then we read for a while.  It does feel good to think we're setting aside enough sleep time for 8 or 9 hours even if we don't get it.

Beer is good Emma!! With pizza even! ;) I can't read to go to sleep....I get WAY to involved in my books and then I can't put them down. Even if I don't really think they are that great. I finished the Shades of Grey trilogy in THREE days. Anyone that has read those books, knows how much reading that is!

So my Meal 3 was spaghetti (with spaghetti squash of course), and a good size side salad. One of the things I like about eating this way is that it almost forces you to try new things or be more creative. I made such an awesome vinaigrette for the salad tonight. Just salt, pepper, minced garlic, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil. I also did an amazing job on the spaghetti sauce. All from scratch! It was a nice change from eggs and chicken. :D

I haven't felt too hot today, but I don't think I'm getting sick. At least I hope not! I think I am just tired. I am planning on going to the farmers market tomorrow, which I always enjoy. I am still marvelling at my nails today. I just can't believe how great they look and how strong they are. Day 17 is almost over, no signs of the tiger blood yet, but I'm a patient girl. I did a lot of damage to my body over my life. That's going to take quite awhile to heal! I do wish I was losing weight/inches a little more than I have been, but with a bum thyroid, I guess that is to be expected until I can get it back on track.

12 more days!!! Maybe more.... :)

Good morning! I was able to fall asleep pretty easily last night, even if it was later than I wanted. I slept for about 7 hours, which is really good for me! Today is baseball sign ups for my 8 year old. I'll be glad to have a little more activity to get me going outside more. I work from home, so I tend to let myself get stuck in the house too much sometimes. And I need that vitamin D!! M1 is scrambled eggs with salsa. I just wasn't up for much more than that. Oh, and my standard coffee with coconut milk.

I noticed something kind of weird/funny this morning. And maybe it's just me, but before I started this W30, I would "suck in" my gut, but it wouldn't even remotely go "in" like it did when I was younger. I just chalked it up to 4 c-sections and age. Well, this morning, I did that, and my lovely, unwanted muffin top went almost completely flat! No bloated roundness left over. The pooch where the c-section scars are didn't of course, but it still sucked in way better than it has in years!!!! Like I said, I know that seems weird, and maybe it's only me, but it sure feels like yet another victory, so I'll take it!! :)

Have a good day and Whole30 (or 100 ArcheoGator) on!!!

I love when my gut sucks in!!  Yay for you.  It's so nice to have a new normal of non-bloating!   When I traveled in November and resorted back to my old ways, my old ways of bloatedness came back full force.  I don't miss that at all.  I think it's a huge victory.  What day are you on now?  Day 18?  That's sweet.  I never got tiger blood, but I do feel like it's going to be a long process of healing my body for the years of crappy eating that took place.  But even though I never got tiger blood, I do find that I'm doing crazy things like cleaning the fridge at 8 pm - things that need to get done that usually I ignore, but now just seem to do.  It's its own version of tigerness I try to think - maybe it's cub blood.

Cub blood! I LOVE that! That is exactly what I have - cub blood. :D  I find myself doing those kind of things too. Random little things that I never did like I should have. I was always too tired, or my favorite excuse, too busy. I am on Day 18, and I am just so proud of myself. Sometimes I can't believe I made it this far, but then I remind myself that is negative talk, and I tell myself 'good job'! I am still finding myself having really intense cravings sometimes. It kinda bums me out, but I remind myself how awesome I am that I can choose to love me more than a temporary food high! It's those ninja skills! :ph34r:

I don't think I'm having any major food cravings, but I just want something sweet.  Or I just want to eat something.  And I'm BORED of eating at home every night.  It would be so nice to go out to eat.  That's the challenge of this part of the process.  Things are moving along kind of well so it's easy to lose focus and let those competing ideas sneak in.  I remember last time it was about this point that I started saying, "I can't wait to go out. I'm gonna order....."  But when it got to the 30 days, I didn't want that stuff at all.   I guess this part of the timeline is still a pretty crucial time - it's also near the three week mark which is when habits really change.  Eighteen days of clean eating is definitely something to be proud of.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday Emma. It would be so awesome just to go out and eat. And the fact that I'm on Day 19, helps me sooooo much to make the right choices, but this forum has been irreplaceable. There is no way I want to get on here and have to tell all my cheerleaders I slipped. Even though I know you'd all still be supportive and understanding. The other that helps is that I'm doing it for myself. To be healthy. I'm not doing it just to get thinner, and I think, for me, there is a HUGE difference between those mind sets. Dropping a pant size has just been a bonus!! ;)

I probably fell asleep around 1145pm to midnight last night. I love how tired I feel, even if I can't quite get fall asleep as early as I'd like yet. I did wake up about 215am, I'm not sure why. I was thinking that is not a good thing since I usually can't go right back to sleep, but that's all I remember because I was right back out! I had pretty weird dreams, but I'm ok with that because it means my sleep is getting better. I woke up around 830am, which is pretty late for me, but I guess I needed it. Even with the interrupted sleep, I felt refreshed. I got up and made myself coffee with coconut cream. I am really not hungry, but I made more scrambled eggs with onions and salsa, but only could eat about half of them. I definitely need a new breakfast. I'm very much at the "way too sick of eggs" phase. In scrambled form anyway.

I'm getting a bit frustrated at this point, because I feel like I have more energy, I feel better, and I'm happier, but I'm still feeling unmotivated. I know that sounds dumb, but I don't know how else to describe it. It's like I have all these things I want to do, but then I just don't FEEL like it all of a sudden. I'm hoping this is just part of the process, and not something else underlying. I guess it could still be my thyroid since I only started that medicine a week ago.

Another concern I have is that I took the time to make bone broth last night, but I don't have economical access to high quality meat, so I'm wondering if that was a waste of time now. It smells divine and I'm tired of not being able to try recipes because I have no broth, but I don't want to damage any progress I've made either. I hope I can get some input from a moderator here.

Anyway, I think today might be a leftover day! ;)

I'm guilty of always having bigger plans and visions of what to do with the day, week, month, year than I seem to have energy for.  Today, for example, I wanted to go out and ski, do art with the kids, cook some good meals, and really all I've done is be a grumbly jerk.  Well, I managed to pick up and try a new recipe and walk to the store, but I did nothing of SUBSTANCE!  I know for myself, without a thyroid issue, it's hard being motivated. I sometimes feel like my body is a furnace and for a long while, I was just heating myself off of one piddly charcoal bricket, but now there's a good solid flame going, but it hasn't seeped into the rest of my body - or, in other words, there's still a lot of healing to do.

Though, today, I was really wondering if my mood the last few weeks is due to all the crazy chemical changes that go on when one's hormones change.  I didn't give the hormone conversations much thought until I quit coffee a few months back (and switched to tea which is less caffeine).  My period went from an always pretty regular cycle to 17 days for two months in a row.  That's kind of a crazy change but it made me realize that all this chemical hormone stuff must have some major impact on our bodies, moods, and energy.

Hopefully in time we will both be out doing crazy amounts of things with a smile and sweat dripping off our brows.

I am excited to have you back Kryztle! I can't believe I'm almost at Day 20! Your support has helped A LOT. I'm sorry you still have a bad cough, I know honey helps with that, but do it before you start, it's not W30 compliant!

I just could not get going today. I've been having trouble getting in a good amount of veggies, so today for lunch I put a lot of fresh spinach in a big bowl and dumped some divine chicken salad I made yesterday over the top and devoured it. My M3 was leftover spaghetti squash with the sauce I made the other night. I couldn't quite finish it though.

I am hoping for a better day tomorrow. I am not getting to bed when I want to tonight, so I am bummed about that, but logging it helps me see where I need improvement. I have errands I have to run, so maybe that will give me a 'get up and go' attitude!

Good night friends!

Still not feeling it. A little better than yesterday, but I still could only eat about 1/2 my breakfast. I just have no appetite. I feel like I'm getting hungry, I start to eat and then I just feel like 'yuck'. I'm hoping this will pass. I'm tired, I couldn't fall asleep last night, but I made myself get up around 7am so that maybe I'll feel tired enough tonight to sleep. I do feel like I'm sleeping a little more soundly though, which is good. But I'm on Day 20. And that is HUGE for me! :) My breakfast was shredded sweet potatoes, onions, green peppers, and some kale, topped with a couple fried eggs. I ended up eating a bit of the mixture, then when I started to feel my gag reflex waking up, I picked out the eggs and called it good. I'm honestly not sure what is for meals 2 or 3 because nothing sounds good. Nada. Well, maybe pizza still. ;) I think my PMS is just kicking my butt emotionally and craving wise. But it is far less painful than it has been.

Hoping to see you back today sometime Kryztle!!! Good luck!!!

I've had a couple sluggish days now. Food just got boring to me. I am going to look at a few paleo cookbooks our library has and figure out how to get excited again. I thought I had the energy rush, but yesterday I just started poking at food. I just want to make a sandwich, a real sandwich. Some garlic bread from Sonny's would also be nice. Since I am poking at food right now, I know I am not getting calories in and my energy has been nil.

In the end, we can all pull through this. You are coming up on day 30, so you have 10 days left to think about reintros or extending the plan. 

I'm feeling the same exact way you are right now ArcheoGator, but yes, I do know it will pass. Hopefully sooner rather than later. I would love some tiger blood energy!

I have been contemplating what to do at my 30 day mark. I was really leaning toward extending it, as I think I just need more time to heal right anyway. But I just read on one of the topics that if you know you will be going off plan, it is better to leave yourself room for re-intro, than to wait until the special occasion and careen off the cliff. My husband has let me know he has special plans for us for Valentine's Day, so I'm thinking maybe I could do a W37, then start a re-intro for the week leading up to the big day. I don't know yet for sure though. It is always possible the load board won't even get him here for that anyway.

I can't decide what I want to re-intro with first. I would love some buttered popcorn. But ice cream sounds divine too. I've had a pretty constant craving for pizza over the last week, but that seems like a lot of stuff to re-intro all at once. I will probably start with cheese. I miss cheese. Eggs would be so much more tolerable for me if I could sprinkle some cheese on them. And I am trying my best to love sweet potatoes, but I am just not there yet. Every once in a while they are pretty good, but most of the time I end up gagging them down toward the end of the meal. Not ideal for keeping an appetite.

I could not make myself eat lunch today. I already ate breakfast kind of late and I forced that down until I was literally almost gagging, so I just had no appetite. But for dinner. Oh baby. Dinner was off the chain! I made the Thai Basil Curry from the Nom Nom Paleo app, but I did it my own way. My husband smoked me a bunch of chicken before he went back out on the road, so I cut that up and used it. I added frozen cauliflower and broccoli, and I used green curry paste. It really was so good. There is none left. I even had a friend drive over after I posted a picture of it on facebook to try it! (Yes, she LOVED it too!).

I'm still feeling pretty bloated, and I know each W30 can be different, but this has been a frustrating and humbling one for me. The very first one I did I felt incredible after only 10 days, lost a bunch of weight, was taken off my blood pressure medicine, and felt like an all around rockstar. This one.....not so much. Too bad I didn't stick with it then. Oh well, so it takes a little longer this time. I'm okay with that in the end.

Have a great night everyone!

Today is Day 21. It seems like the time has flown by, but yet it seems like 9 days is so far away! ;)

I couldn't fall asleep again last night. The last I looked at the clock it was 1:30 am. And school started back up again for the kids so my alarm went off at 6:30 am. I really am so tired. I had 2 sausage patties (homemade) and 1 fried egg for breakfast. I think for dinner I am going to have a burger over a bed of fresh spinach. Today needs to be an easy dinner day.

One of the things I've done that has helped my sleep is to not be able to see what time it is. I got rid of my alarm clock and just use my phone. I look at it when I turn the lights out and then just flip it over and will myself not to look at it again. I find the anxiety of not sleeping and knowing how much I'm not makes it even harder to sleep. Do you have a bedtime routine for yourself?

Hi Physibeth! I do only use my phone as an alarm clock, and most times like you, I will myself to flip it over and forget about it. But the last couple nights, I have been so wide awake, I've used it to jot some notes down and such, so the time was right there in my face, blaring! I do use amber glasses, which I do think really helps. Nights like the last two, I used to be up until 3 or 4 trying to find sleep! So at least I can say it's all getting better, even if I'm not quite at tiger blood yet! I would not say I have a bedtime routine, which I know would help, and I will definitely work on it, I've just been really focused on the nutrition aspect to avoid any slip-ups. I truly believe it will all come together.

Thanks Kryztle! I almost can't believe it! I hope you are feeling better!

Emma, this was totally worth having an easy dinner. Totally.

post-3281-0-96902200-1390351732_thumb.jp

Archived