January 7 Day 1 - 1st time Whole30!

photogtx

Hello!

With the barrage of diets being pushed to start the new year, I decided on the Whole30 program. I'm looking forward to reaping the benefits, but, I'm nervous about the first few challenging days I'm reading about! I signed up for the daily emails, so, I'm hoping they'll help!! I'll be checking in here for support and suggestions. Being a first-timer I'd love to know any tips from you veterans out there! 

Wishing you all much success!!     

Tips:

- Plan ahead so you're not without Whole30 options in the house. For me that means having certain staples on hand (eggs, canned salmon, canned chicken, homemade mayo, sweet potatoes), and planning meals 2-3 days in advance.

- Follow the meal template for every.single.meal.  http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

- I personally don't like to have to cook for every meal, so I don't.  :) I collected a handful of baked fritatta recipes that I rotate through for breakfast, so I cook once, and have breakfast for 4-6 days. With dinners, I gravitate toward recipes that make at least 2-3 times the servings I need at one meal, and have leftovers afterward. This is one of my favorites (makes 2 meatloaves). If you don't have compliant bacon, substitute compliant pancetta or skip it and cook the raisins and onions in a compliant fat: http://paleomg.com/paleo-savory-sweet-potato-meatloaf/

Thank you Chris! The meatloaf recipe looks delicious, thanks for sharing it! I like your idea to cook once and have leftovers. I like to cook, but, life is super busy. Regarding the meal template...is there a more exact way to measure oil portions besides using thumb size? I can see how that would work easily for measuring solid coconut oil and ghee etc, but, how about EVOO? Is it a tablespoon?

Thanks for your help!

Cathi

The oil proportions are based on your body proportions. So look at your thumb, estimate how big it is, and go with that. If your thumb looks like about a tablespoon, use that.

More importantly, see how satiated you are after a meal.  Whole30 meals should keep you satiated for 4-5 hours. If that's working for you, great. If not, it's a sign to increase your portions of protein, veggies, and/or fat.

Hello!

I am new as well to the Whole 30! I read It Starts With Food and it was amazing.

I actually have encouraged my Mom, Dad, Aunt and BF to do this with me. Both of my parents have chronic inflammation and my Dad has RA. 

We are having our 1st official "meeting" tomorrow 1/6 and putting our plan together and officially starting Monday Jan 13th. I look forward to this forum for help and guidance. I love all the info and support that this will have.

Thanks and look forward to the journey!

- Alison

Hello!

I am new as well to the Whole 30! I read It Starts With Food and it was amazing.

I actually have encouraged my Mom, Dad, Aunt and BF to do this with me. Both of my parents have chronic inflammation and my Dad has RA. 

We are having our 1st official "meeting" tomorrow 1/6 and putting our plan together and officially starting Monday Jan 13th. I look forward to this forum for help and guidance. I love all the info and support that this will have.

Thanks and look forward to the journey!

- Alison

That's so great that you're doing the program with your family, Alison! Good luck!

Archived