can't handle the unsweetened coffee! Help

whyte68

So I'm a 2 cup a morning coffee drinker. I used almond milk and a few drops of liquid stevia. Since starting this challenge I have dropped the stevia and use coconut milk. YUK! It is so nasty to me but I really like having that little caffeine kick in the morning. I've never been a tea drinker but thought maybe I should give it a try. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find something that is mild in flavor but has the kick I need? Thanks so much!

So I'm a 2 cup a morning coffee drinker. I used almond milk and a few drops of liquid stevia. Since starting this challenge I have dropped the stevia and use coconut milk. YUK! It is so nasty to me but I really like having that little caffeine kick in the morning. I've never been a tea drinker but thought maybe I should give it a try. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find something that is mild in flavor but has the kick I need? Thanks so much!

Check out the "trying to drink coffee forum". Many people use cocoa powder, coconut milk and coconut oil and blend the coffee. I haven't tried it yet but it might help. 

Some coconut oils are sweeter tasting than others, I find the Loving Earth brand too sweet to cook meat in, but it's great for a sweeter tasting bulletproof coffee :)

Another tactic is to change the coffee to something less bitter. Cold brewed coffee is much less bitter and you can drink it hot or cold.

Some coffees are much less bitter than others.  If the bitterness is your problem, stay away from french roasts and other dark coffees.  The longer roasting time gives it a much stronger flavor.

Also, if you are using one of the mass-produced grocery store types, try a more gourmet blend.  I have learned to love certain coffees black, but can't stomach crap like Maxwell House.

Whyte68, I also used to be a heavy coffee drinker with cream and sugar added.  I had to wean myself off because of my GERD.  I started drinking herbal tea caffeine free with raw honey and that worked but I also started to drink some months ago the organic spiced rooiboos ruby red chai from Trader Joe's.  I love it and I can drink it plain without any kind of sugar and it tastes marvelous.

Some coffees are much less bitter than others.  If the bitterness is your problem, stay away from french roasts and other dark coffees.  The longer roasting time gives it a much stronger flavor.

Also, if you are using one of the mass-produced grocery store types, try a more gourmet blend.  I have learned to love certain coffees black, but can't stomach crap like Maxwell House.

Agreed, more expensive coffee is generally worth the cost. Starbucks' Casi Cielo is nice, and it's their seasonal offering round about now-ish.

Not that I even drink coffee anymore, a year of working at Starbucks was enough to wean me of that habit  :)  Not given it up completely, I still had a coffee or two when I was in Rome last month and on other holidays recently, but it's no longer a morning necessity.

Day one for me and the coconut milk in my coffee was awful- I thought I would love it since I love all things coconut :( 

I probably do need to buy a good quality coffee.

Does anyone know- will using an immersion blender in the coffee make it taste ANY better?

Thanks!

Day one for me and the coconut milk in my coffee was awful- I thought I would love it since I love all things coconut :(

I probably do need to buy a good quality coffee.

Does anyone know- will using an immersion blender in the coffee make it taste ANY better?

Thanks!

Yes. I find the more I blend it, the better it tastes. Also, adding cinnamon and/or nutmeg helps. 

I may sound like a broken record but the only coconut milk I can drink (and not barely stomach - I mean I LOOOOOOVE this stuff and none of the other brands) is Arroy-D.  It tastes like nectar of the gods. If our Farmer's Market is out, I will order it from Thailand.  It's that. good. The only ingredient is "coconut milk."

http://importfood.com/naturalcoconutmilk.html

PS - the container says it goes bad in two days but I have kept mine up to 8 and it's been fine.

I have a few thoughts on this

1) I think you'd be much better off detoxing from coffee at the same time as everything else. That's what I'm doing. I'm a 2, 3 or 4 cups in the morning kinda guy, and I drink it unsweetened and black so entirely 'legal' by Whole30 terms. But I feel the kick and also the withdraw symptoms, so as far as I'm concerned it has to go, for the next month at least.

2) And so... I find that a pint of water followed by a powerful green smoothie (at least a pint of that, often 2!) wakes me up just as well as coffee ever did and also means I don't need to 'eat' breakfast.

3) But if you must have coffee, as Kristen48 said - go Bulletproof - guess you'd want to go with ghee and/or coconut oil. I like it with plenty of grassfed butter, but then I like almost anything with plenty of butter! Also, try adding cinnamon if you don't like the coconut taste? 

Cheers

IanB

I have a few thoughts on this

1) I think you'd be much better off detoxing from coffee at the same time as everything else. That's what I'm doing. I'm a 2, 3 or 4 cups in the morning kinda guy, and I drink it unsweetened and black so entirely 'legal' by Whole30 terms. But I feel the kick and also the withdraw symptoms, so as far as I'm concerned it has to go, for the next month at least.

2) And so... I find that a pint of water followed by a powerful green smoothie (at least a pint of that, often 2!) wakes me up just as well as coffee ever did and also means I don't need to 'eat' breakfast.

3) But if you must have coffee, as Kristen48 said - go Bulletproof - guess you'd want to go with ghee and/or coconut oil. I like it with plenty of grassfed butter, but then I like almost anything with plenty of butter! Also, try adding cinnamon if you don't like the coconut taste? 

Cheers

IanB

FYI: smoothies are discouraged on a Whole30. The idea is to chew your food vs. drink it, as chewing is more satiating.

Grassfed butter is not Whole30 compliant. If you clarify it, then you can have it on a Whole30.

kt cat - YES! Immersion blender is great. The more fat you add and the hotter the coffee and the more you blend, the fluffier it gets.

Look for a gourmet coffee place in your area, some let you taste lots of different blends. Some I can't drink at all because they taste so sweet, but make sure they're made with only coffee, no additives which are hidden nasties.

I've even made the immersion coffee with cacao butter as an experiment. It was okay, but I wasn't a big fan of the taste. It tastes nothing like chocolate.

For the past year or so, I've been drinking my parents coffee, which is just costco brand in 3 lb. cans. They buy one decaff and one regular and mix them to make half-caff. It's really strong and strangely sour tasting, very acidic. I have no idea if it's dark or medium roast, but i'd bet on dark.

I was having a really hard time tolerating it without lots of heavy cream and sugar, so I bought some organic medium-roast coffee from the grocery store, the kind where you pick the beans, then grind them there at the store in the machine. I'm not a coffee snob, I really doubt I could tell the difference between ground 10 seconds before brewing, and ground a week ago coffee. Anyway, it's amazing how much different it tastes. I make my coffee with home-made almond milk, a little coconut milk, and coconut oil and blend it up with a hand blender. It's smooth and mild and not bitter at all. SO much tastier!

I just tried vanilla powder in my coffee and it is good. I am not into flavored creamers (obviously not on for the Whole30) they are way too sweet for me. But the vanilla powder is good with coconut milk. Don't use vanilla extract, that is not Whole30 compliant. I was able to get my vanilla powder in the Bulk Herb section of Sprouts. Or you may have to order on line. I also tried a cup with cinnamon and vanilla that was ok. Hope this helps.

I have heard of making a french vanilla creamer with coconut milk and date paste.  Maybe that could work for you?  I don't drink coffee but I love Earl Grey tea with cream.  Luckily I can still drink the tea! 

I have heard of making a french vanilla creamer with coconut milk and date paste.  Maybe that could work for you?  I don't drink coffee but I love Earl Grey tea with cream.  Luckily I can still drink the tea! 

The creamer thing is another idea that's technically compliant but very much discouraged :)

I agree that quality coffee is key and that cold brew rocks. I drink mine with coconut milk but only when the coffee is cold. I have been drinking it that way for so long that I don't even taste coconut when I drink it. 

I will say, though, that I don't like coconut milk in hot coffee. I have never tried the blending thing everyone speaks of, though.

Be very wary of technically compliant recipes which include dates, they contain a crazy volume of sugar for a single cup of coffee and for many people this has their sugar dragon running madly up and down the hallways, banging on the walls and singing loudly ;)

Christie - Try it with a good tasting coconut oil and an immersion blender. It doesn't work with cold, must be coffee-hot water. I've tried it with lower fat items but they don't go fluffy.

I made coffee this morning with my new "fancy beans" that I ground myelf with my new grinder, used full-fat coconut milk and the new immersion blender What a diiference! The immersion blender is awesome!

I will need to get some cocoa to try next :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived