can't handle the unsweetened coffee! Help

whyte68

I am in love with bulletproof coffee!! I never thought I'd say this, but I don't miss my coffee/sugar/cream combo since discovering this.

I've experimented with different combos, but this is my favorite:

A cup of french pressed brewed organic ground coffee

1 tsp of ghee

1 tbsp of MCT oil

1 tbsp of cocunut manna

1 tsp of 100% cacao butter

Using an immersion blender, whip till frothy. HEAVEN!!! and tons of energy!!!

this may be a dumb question, but does using the immersion blender make the whole thing frothy??

I quit coffee cold turkey for this W30.  I wouldn't mind doing some decaf occassionally as a treat, but i've tried the ghee in coffee and it made me want to hurl.  But I could get behind some coconut milk, cacao powder and cinnamon blended up in coffee I think.

Blending it makes a HUGE difference. I tried using ghee and coconut oil by just stirring it in...YUCK. The oil just sat on top. Well, I'm not a fan of ghee anyway, just the smell makes me gag. But now I use clarified butter and blend it, and it's very very good. It does get a little frothy on top (I use coconut milk now, instead of oil...not sure if it's the milk that's frothing?).

Two years ago I gave up coffee because I was drinking it with so much sugar.  I missed it though so I determined to learn how to drink it black.  It took me less than a week to become accustomed to the taste of black coffee.  I do buy better coffee now because I'm no longer masking bitter coffee with excess sugar.  Today if I accidentally sip a sweetened coffee it tastes horrible.  I love, love, love my black coffee.

If you use cold coffee, it won't melt the fat and emulsify properly (for things like coconut oil, which are partially solid when cold). Hot drinks also have more fragrance.

If you want to make a totally cold coffee drink, I'd start with a cold brewed coffee as these are much less bitter (Stuff I Make My Husband blog has great instructions) and blend it with ice and coconut milk in a shaker or machine if you have one which can handle ice.

I've made fluffy coconut oil coffee and then cooled it, but the texture isn't the same, it tastes like leftover coffee, not a nice cold coffee drink. Cooling a hot drink tends to get solid chunks in it, not nice ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I use Bulletproof coffee, and it is easy to drink black (ie: not bitter). Either that, or I'll drink a nice green tea (but I like the taste of green tea :)

I've also drank my coffee (hot) with coconut milk, and blending makes all the difference in the world. Whether you use an immersion blender or throw everything into a conventional blender, it doesn't matter. The blending is what makes the difference. It comes out nice and frothy! I've done coffee + coconut milk + vanilla (Bulletproof ground vanilla; not vanilla extract, which is not compliant), or coffee + coconut milk + raw cacao powder, and each combination has turned out frothy and tasty. After reading someone else's post on here, I think I'm going to give throwing in some cocoa butter a try!

• 6 months later...

So I'm a 2 cup a morning coffee drinker. I used almond milk and a few drops of liquid stevia. Since starting this challenge I have dropped the stevia and use coconut milk. YUK! It is so nasty to me but I really like having that little caffeine kick in the morning. I've never been a tea drinker but thought maybe I should give it a try. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find something that is mild in flavor but has the kick I need? Thanks so much!

I'm only on Day 1 of my "official Whole30" but I started really cleaning up my diet a few months ago. I was right there with you on the coffee. I just couldn't do it, so I continued drinking my chemical filled coffee creamer.

Then one day I "accidentally" made the perfect cup of coffee. I used about a tablespoon of coconut milk, a few dashes of cinnamon and nutmeg, and put it in my Magic Bullet (the regular blender doesn't seem to work as well). It's a creamy cup of heaven. Soon I swapped it out with homemade almond milk and I use all sorts of seasonings in it - cloves, allspice, pumpkin pie spice (a mix of many), cinnamon, nutmeg - you name it. I don't even miss the chemical creamer. But blending is the key. It absolutely doesn't work by just stirring it together.

Be careful with hot things in your bullet, as it's a sealed container, don't want any messy explosions when you undo it :)

Valid point! I don't fill mine up all the way and I very gently twist it off, letting the pressure escape. Thanks for bringing that up! I hope no one had a coffee explosion!

TinaH, I can't wait to hear if you liked it! (Post-Whole30, extracts taste amzing in it, too!)

Yum!  Coffee in my nutribullet is a delicious treat (Don't worry...not a danger zone treat.  Just a special drink.) 

Here's what I made:  Dunkin donuts brand whole beans, freshly ground and made in my coffee maker.  Then cooled it down with ice cubes (to slightly hotter than lukewarm) and poured into the blending cup, added maybe 1 T coconut milk, about 1/2 tsp of 100% cacoa powder, and a pinch of both nutmeg and cinnamon.  Blended in my nutirbullet and it was dreamy.  It tasted smooth and like the holidays :)

Thanks for the suggestion decker_bear and others!

Archived