First week and severe anxiety

This is my first week of my first Whole 30, and today was day 4. I've been a little tired and I've had some headaches, but nothing too bad. However, yesterday I woke up with severe anxiety and haven't really been able to get over it yet. I'm crying at the drop of a hat, and I'm worrying about things that are kind of crazy and dramatic. Is this normal? Will it subside? I feel crazy, and I don't think I can keep up with feeling this way for much longer.

Elizabess,

I did a whole45 in September an felt really bad for my family because they had to deal with me during that time! Take a deep breath, take away anything that is not absolutely necessary. Feed yourself and rest. If you have kids put them in front of the tv. Have no guilt during this time. You will feel much better by next week if not in a few days. Stick with it, if you give up now you will miss the feeling good part of this whole thing! I will be in your place in a few days as I'm starting again tomorrow! All will be well!

Thanks for the encouragement, Sam! I'm definitely trying to take it easy, but it just seems so weird. I have had anxiety and depression issues in the past and was medicated years ago, but I've been off those for a long time. It just scared me because I haven't had any of these symptoms this badly since before being medicated, and it's not a good feeling. I just wasn't sure if it i was normal or not. I haven't had the anger or "kill all the things" feeling, and I'm wondering if I am experiencing this in its place, or if that is to come. Either way, thanks for the support!

As someone who has a history of depression/anxiety and now during the first week of my third Whole30 am re-experiencing this AGAIN,  this has been incredibly helpful - particularly the link to the other thread.  Thank you for sharing.

I am just starting but having gone through 40 days on the HCG, I learned that crappy food is a sedative. We bury some of our more difficult feelings in rushing and eating unconsciously. So remove the "fix" and some of that bubbles to the surface which gives you an opportunity to hang with it. It's pay now or pay BIGGER later. Check out Rumi's poem "The guest" and good luck to you. 

• 2 months later...

I'm late on this,too, andI don't know if this is helpful, but I've also had anxiety at different times in my life and have found that making sure I'm getting enough magnesium and calcium is important. Eat lots of greens and canned salmon and google other non-dairy sources of calcium. I take the magnesium supplement within an hour of bedtime as a pill. I have also found Mio calm powdered beverage to be very calming.

Archived