Whole 30 compromises for teenagers?

Hollerha

Hi, I'm 15, female, just began crossfitting 3-5 days a week, and I just started my first Whole 30 1/1/14. I'd already been eating paleo for 10 months give or take a couple weeks and I like to think my sugar dragon has been long since vanquished. The majority of the reason I decided to try this out is because around nut butters/coconut manna I literally turn into a black hole and consume it by the jar, which was both expensive and highly uncomfortable at times.

I don't have any weight to lose at 5"4 and 114lbs, and I'm actually trying to pack on some muscle in preparation for a crossfit open in a couple months time, as well as the Spartan Sprint in June! My pre-wo meal is currently non-existant considering I feel terrible when I work out soon after eating just about anything, but post-wo I've been sticking to a can of tuna/pink salmon - I should add this salmon has little-to-no fat whatsoever - as well as my Omega 3+ vitamin d supplement (as per recommendation of my cf coach), and a medium sized sweet potato microwaved with some cinnamon.

Otherwise I eat plenty of protein, moderate or maybe even slightly low on the carb end (I hardly if ever get the cravings for fruit), and a truckload of fat. Avocados, coconut oil, ghee on veggies, fatty grass-fed steaks, homemade mayo, and countless cans of full fat coconut milk.

The problem arises later in the day. Think 9-11pm. I eat dinner anywhere between 7-8, and I've been consistently adding to what I'm consuming for breakfast, lunch, and the aforementioned supper - but no matter what I find myself hungry later. Since my goal is to put on muscle I'm afraid of not eating enough calories and will go eat some eggs, sometimes tea with coconut milk, avocado. If I don't do this I find it difficult to fall asleeo because my stomach rumbles non-stop, to the point that steamed fish and broccoli sounds like a fair deal if it means I can get some sleep.

TL;DR: should growing teens such as myself be eating maybe a little outside of the 3 meal + pre/post-wo template? An example of outside of the template would be snacking whenever hungry, even if it isn't really sticking to the template?

Thanks in advance! So sorry for the long post.

Are you eating sweet potatoes and other starchier veg?  I've found that helps me stay full from breakfast at 6 to lunch at 1 or 2.

My husband has a really active job and has been eating breakfast at 6, a mini-meal at 10, lunch at 1, another mini-meal at 4:30 and then dinner about 7:30.  Over the weekend he had no problem sticking to only three meals, so I'm pretty sure that he does need those extra meals.  From reading through the forums plenty of other people seem to have mini-meals as well. I'm no authority, but definitely don't go to bed hungry, you're active and likely still growing you probably do need more food.

• 4 weeks later...

You should be eating more meals at your age!  But also, most likely, you need more sleep.  Your body is building and repairing muscle tissue after every workout. You are in a period of intense brain development also. These are things that require much more food and rest than an adult with a sedentary lifestyle would need.  It's probably better to err on the side of overfeeding all that growth and development than underfeeding it.  As long as you are eating compliant foods according to the template and getting 8-10 hours of sleep a night at minimum, having more than three meals should be nothing to worry about!  Teens have nutrition and sleep needs that adults don't have, so don't shortchanged yourself by trying to eat like an adult.  Sorry, the mother of a fifteen year old athlete is stepping off her soapbox now. But way to go with the good choices!  

• 3 weeks later...

Archived