Too Skinny

I am in the middle of my second W30 and I had such a great experience with my first that I got a ton of people to join me this time around. I've got my parents, my sister, my mother, step-father and sister-in-law, my cousin, and a bunch of friends. I'm so excited that so many people are taking this on.

The problem is that I can't seem to get my husband interested. He is very good about eating what I cook, but he won't go fully paleo. He still eats bread, and cereal all the time. He is also very inconsistent with his meals. Sometimes he has to just get fast food because thats all he has time for (he works a lot.)

He has a very high metabolism, is on medicine that speeds up his metabolism even more, and is borderline underweight. I try to make food that are higher in fat and protein content, but I can't always get him to eat that part. I really think doing a W30 would open his eyes to a new way of being healthy and it would allow us to teach our children to be healthy eaters, but I just can't convince him.

The other problem is that I want to lose weight and he wants to gain it.

How can I make meals for our family that meets both of our needs and the needs of our children (2 and 6months)? 

Any suggestions?

Thanks, 
Corey

I was planning to do the January W30 on my own, but I left Well Fed 2 out on my desk on New Years Eve and my husband started reading it and decided to join along. 

It sounds like he's very similar to your husband in terms of body type and weight goals.  I give him larger portions than I give myself, but as he doesn't like to eat loads at one meal and has a physical job he tends to eat at 10 and 4 as well as the proper meal times.

He's also not allowed to ask what's in a dish until after he's tried it because he thinks that he doesn't like sweet potato, avocado, kale,etc and it will put him off if he knows what's in the dish.  I made both zucchini soup and some cumin lime mayo dressing this week, both of which are things that I didn't think he'd be that keen on, so I let him try a bit of mine when I was eating it rather than give him a whole serving and he decided he liked them both and wanted a proper serving of them at later meals.

I can't offer any tips on getting your husband to participate in the first place. I know mine will only go along with me when it's his idea. But we do have a couple friends who ate paleo briefly. She wanted to lose weight and he has a really hard time putting it on. They ate the same meals and both had excellent results. I think she lost at about the rate he gained. That's one of the coolest things about this way of eating, it helps your body do whatever it is it needs to.

Archived